Should Zimmer be on the hot seat? And is Spielman gone?

Countstuku

21 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Not what I mean but what could you get for them? We want to rebuild, we have to sell, what can we get for them?

Mid year trades stink in the NFL, so it is hard to say at this point. 

I'd deal almost anyone over 28 in the off season. I think this team is 2-3 good off seasons away at this point.

I think Zimmer needs to go as of this moment but I let him finish the season.

He'll need to win a playoff game for me to keep him and Rick.

I mean....I get it. The NFC is a tough conference and has a lot of turnover as far as playoff teams and the NFC North is always a buzzsaw but 2 playoff births in going on 6 seasons and one playoff win. Not good enough.

Also, he's had some crappy situations especially with Teddy but every team has situations like that. It's an excuse....but not an excuse.

Further more, his inability (even before Kirk came around) to get his teams up for big games is baffling. Even in the playoff Saints game.....fast start and was out-coached big time in the 2nd half and literally needed a miracle not to lose that game.

Great defensive coach but I just feel like he's stuck in a 1975 too often with his philosophy. 

• Like 2

I think Zimmer gets another year at least but Spielman really needs to go at year end. I realize he’s built a talented roster, it’s just getting a bit stale. Too many bets on safe QBs. I think this team needs to make a bold move for a young QB. How many GMs survive after two first round busts at QB and two expensive vets in Sam and Kirk.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think Zimmer gets another year at least but Spielman really needs to go at year end. I realize he’s built a talented roster, it’s just getting a bit stale. Too many bets on safe QBs. I think this team needs to make a bold move for a young QB. How many GMs survive after two first round busts at QB and two expensive vets in Sam and Kirk.

So he can hand the ball off, throw short of the 3rd down marker, and nod when the HC punts inside the other team's 40 and kicks field goals inside the five? To what end? Zimmer does not play to win on offense. How many OCs and QBs does he get to lead before it's on him? Not that Spielman is w/o blame, that's not my point.

And where is the magical unicorn of a QB going to come from next year? Not free agency, and is Zimmer going to start a rookie QB (if they get lucky in the draft)? No way. 

No one currently likes the Cousins' signing. But there wasn't a better option that off season. They could have aimed even lower on QB, and then what? And once you sign Kirk, you don't go for a QB in round one that next draft, that would not be a consistent strategy. I'm all for blowing it up this off season. 

But some people want to keep a HC that has 1 playoff win in 5 years (likely in 6 after this year) and only 2 appearances......I don't get it. He's the Terry Ryan of NFL coaches. Well, he's probably not even that good.

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

And where is the magical unicorn of a QB going to come from next year? Not free agency, and is Zimmer going to start a rookie QB (if they get lucky in the draft)? No way. 

No one currently likes the Cousins' signing. But there wasn't a better option that off season. They could have aimed even lower on QB, and then what? And once you sign Kirk, you don't go for a QB in round one that next draft, that would not be a consistent strategy. I'm all for blowing it up this off season. 

But some people want to keep a HC that has 1 playoff win in 5 years (likely in 6 after this year) and only 2 appearances......I don't get it. He's the Terry Ryan of NFL coaches. Well, he's probably not even that good.

The problem is that it can get so much worse. That's not a reason to not make a change but it's just as likely to get worse

• Like 1

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

The problem is that it can get so much worse. That's not a reason to not make a change but it's just as likely to get worse

And? Winning 7 or 9 games does nothing, especially if the games are unwatchably boring. 

This is like not going for it from 4th and 5 at the other teams' 40....it might not work! So what? You win by trying to win, not by trying not to lose. Not moving on at this point is all about not wanting to win only 2-3 games for a year or two, instead of 8. 8 is worse.....it tricks you into thinking with just a break here and there you are good....when you aren't. 

• Like 1

Zimmer isn’t going anywhere. He’s a winning coach that the players love. We’ve had two bad games on the road, and two dominant wins at home. Unless this team completely falls apart, and he loses the locker room, there’s no reason to make a change at head coach. 

Spielman should be let go. But, I my solution would be to promote Paton and see what he can do. The foundation for this team is in place. They just need to figure out the QB position. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Zimmer isn’t going anywhere. He’s a winning coach that the players love. We’ve had two bad games on the road, and two dominant wins at home. Unless this team completely falls apart, and he loses the locker room, there’s no reason to make a change at head coach. 

Spielman should be let go. But, I my solution would be to promote Paton and see what he can do. The foundation for this team is in place. They just need to figure out the QB position. 

And one playoff win...... This isn't about one season. 

18 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

And one playoff win...... This isn't about one season. 

No it’s not about one season. But he’s a winning coach, and winning in the NFL is hard to do. You just don’t throw away winning coaches. Or do you really think you’re going to find a coach who’s going to win more than 60% of their games that easily? 

Winning consistently requires a top level QB, and the Vikings haven’t been able to find one. It’s not easy to do, either. They’ve given it a good shot between drafting and signing free agents, but nothing is working. I don’t put that on Zimmer. That, IMO, falls on Spielman. And that’s where the change needs to be made.

I think the biggest question is how many Ls would it take for ziggy to make moves? I personally don’t see any movement unless the team wins under 6 games. I don’t see that happening though. The squad is too good. Next year is the make or break clean house year if the team is just a meh 500 team and cousins doesn’t up His game