Should Zimmer be on the hot seat? And is Spielman gone?

Countstuku

14 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

It is relevant. But perhaps you don't want to consider anything that doesn't fit your narrow narrative.  We are in a topic talking about the long-term future of the Vikings Head Coach.  YOU were the one who compared Zimmer to Denny Green.  Green was a long tenured Viking coach who failed to win a Super Bowl with the most talented team in the league.  It was about the same period in Green's coaching career that Tony Dungy left Minnesota to go to Tampa Bay where he eventually won a Super Bowl.  it was not long after that Brian Billick also left Minnesota to go to Baltimore where he also won a Super Bowl.  I personally remember one of my college teammates was adamant that we should have kept Dungy over Green.  It is easy to look back with hindsight, but there are certainly some similarities that are interesting with regards to replacing a coach who is successful.

And since you are comparing Green to Belicheck:  Super Bowls as HC -  Green=0,  Belichick =5.   

I did make the comparison of Zimmer to Green, but their assistant coaches' success as a HC in the future is completely irrelevant to the performance of the head coach themselves.  Otherwise, Brad Childress should have been given rings both times Mike Tomlin won. I did not bring that into the discussion, you did.  And it's an irrelevant point.  It doesn't fit into any narrative, narrow or wide.

Edited by swede700

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I did make the comparison of Zimmer to Green, but their assistant coaches' success as a HC in the future is completely irrelevant to the performance of the head coach themselves.  Otherwise, Brad Childress should have been given rings both times Mike Tomlin won. I did not bring that into the discussion, you did.  And it's an irrelevant point.  It doesn't fit into any narrative, narrow or wide.

Well, since you aren't able to make the connections, it isn't worth the discussion.

12 hours ago, RpMc said:

Zimmer needs to become a better “head” coach. His defensive acumen is as impressive as it gets, but he’s week to week head coaching duties and management on game day can leave a lot to be desired. Clock management, use of challenges, aggressiveness (or lackthereof) at the end of a half...

I agree with this post 100%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I agree with this post 100%.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know how involved Zimmer is between Monday-Saturday with the offense's game plan but echoing something Matthew Collar of ESPN said....

With how good Zimmer is with defense and scheming for opposing offenses, you'd think it'd be a huge benefit to his offense if he's helping to come up with the game plan when he's looking at it like an opposing defense would.

Zimmer needs to find a similar minded person where he doesn't have to sit there and call plays which would allow Zimmer to focus on the game and give input when needed to the defense AND offense. He's even said that he's the head coach and needs to spend more time with the offense and special teams.

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know how involved Zimmer is between Monday-Saturday with the offense's game plan but echoing something Matthew Collar of ESPN said....

With how good Zimmer is with defense and scheming for opposing offenses, you'd think it'd be a huge benefit to his offense if he's helping to come up with the game plan when he's looking at it like an opposing defense would.

Zimmer needs to find a similar minded person where he doesn't have to sit there and call plays which would allow Zimmer to focus on the game and give input when needed to the defense AND offense. He's even said that he's the head coach and needs to spend more time with the offense and special teams.

I think he needs to give Edwards a shot at calling the defense.

Just now, VikeManDan said:

I think he needs to give Edwards a shot at calling the defense.

Do you ever have a task at work or around the house that you WANT to delegate to someone else but you also think to yourself "Well, I'm probably the best person here to do it so I'll cut some corners on my other task and do it myself."

I think Zimmer thinks that the defense is HIS baby and his baby alone and that he's the only one that can properly call the plays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

Well, since you aren't able to make the connections, it isn't worth the discussion.

I'm clearly not getting where this "connection" is...therefore, if there's a way to make it clearer where you are coming from, then by all means, make it.  I'm certainly open to hearing it, because, to me, the performance of their assistant coaches, in a future position, is completely irrelevant.  Denny Green's performance as a HC and Mike Zimmer's performance as a HC is a much clearer connection.     

Listening to NFL Radio on my way home, a caller brought up a great point in relation to the Vikings and the Seahawks. 

Both teams brought in a new offensive coordinator, and both teams stumbled a bit out of the gate. Like Zimmer, Pete Carroll publicly made comments on how he’d like to see the offense run the ball more. Schottenheimer took that to heart, he and Carroll got on the same page, and the Seahawks have been rolling since. 

JDF never really seemed to want to follow Zimmer’s request, the two never seemed to be on the same page, and we’ve continued to struggle. Hopefully, Zimmer and Stefanski are on the same page. It could make for an interesting holiday season. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was asked about head coach Mike Zimmer’s status after the win, which leaves them in playoff position with a 7-6-1 record. Wilf said “you shouldn’t even ask that question” before answering it with a strong show of support for the head coach.

Wilf: “We’re very happy with the coach and the entire coaching staff.  It’s great to be in this position in December, that’s for sure. I’m very proud we stepped up and answered any questions about who we were as a team. I think we showed we were one of the best and can beat anyone on any given day.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/16/zygi-wilf-were-very-happy-with-mike-zimmer/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In an interview with the Star Tribune last week, co-owner Mark Wilf said Vikings ownership has “all the confidence” in Zimmer and General Manager Rick Spielman, adding, “We’ve had our ups and downs, but I thought [the win over the Dolphins] was very encouraging, and it’s exciting to be involved with important games here in December.”

When asked if Zimmer consulted ownership before firing DeFilippo after the Vikings’ Dec. 10 loss to the Seahawks, Wilf said, “We are speaking to Coach Zimmer and Rick at all times, and we’re fully aware of everything that’s going on. We communicate constantly on a regular basis, so that’s no issue. We all talk things through, and things are done in that way, where we communicate.”

A win Sunday would put the coach — whom sources have said is heading into the final year of his contract in 2019 — into the playoffs for the third time in four years.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-loss-to-bears-sent-season-on-a-different-path/503629502/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Thank God. Lock him up for the next 10 years lol.

Really?  You think he's a bad coach?  None of them are perfect, but I think he's done a very good job.  He has had fairly good success against the Packers in his time here as he has built the team up.