Should Zimmer be on the hot seat? And is Spielman gone?

Countstuku

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Really?  You think he's a bad coach?  None of them are perfect, but I think he's done a very good job.  He has had fairly good success against the Packers in his time here as he has built the team up.

Zimmer is not a bad coach, but I don’t think he’s the coach who’s going to take a team to the Super Bowl.

33 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Of the names that are currently out there, do any stand out to you as guys that could take us there in the next 1-2 years?

That's not the question, and certainly not one fans should have to answer. If Zimmer isn't, that's all you need to know. Is he? One playoff win in five years, on a supposedly talent laden team. If it isn't the coaching, what is it? 

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

That's not the question, and certainly not one fans should have to answer. If Zimmer isn't, that's all you need to know. Is he? One playoff win in five years, on a supposedly talent laden team. If it isn't the coaching, what is it? 

One losing season in a division with Aaron Rodgers.

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

I was just asking if he had an opinion. Fans don't *have* to answer any questions ever, but this is a message board where fans generally answer questions because they want to. I wasn't being combative, just wanted to know if he had any coaching candidates that he liked personally.

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I don’t think you can expect consistent success in the NFL without a franchise QB.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2018 at 10:42 AM, milanb said:

I would agree with you, except for the fact that there are just too many things about Zimmer and this team that don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Twice in 3 years he has had to replace the OC during the regular season. This time there are only three games left and the team still has a chance at the playoffs. And this time he had publicly shamed and blamed DeFilippo at least twice prior to the firing. Which should never happen.

Beyond all that there are too many games where the team just doesn't show up to play. When it's just one or two players it is on them, but when it's the entire team (like in the NFC Championship game last year) it falls on the coach.

This is an interesting post, @milanb , because the two things you cited are legitimate concerns.  Other than those, can you think of anything else?  The reason I ask is because I really do think he is an excellent coach.

The concern about the OC's is valid IMO.  In the case with DeFilippo, we had a guy who may have hoodwinked the whole league into believing he was the next big thing when he was actually in over his head at the OC position.  The same thing certainly can not be said about Norv Turner, however, because he is a man with many years as of success in this role.

Obviously, the second point you made about the team failing to show up for big games is of paramount importance.

The question I have is whether you get rid of a great coach because of these things, or is there a way for him to figure out what went wrong in these situations and not have them happen in the future, or is it a "terminal condition" for him as a head coach?  In the case of the OC's, I'm willing to overlook the past and hope he can get another one where that doesn't happen.  He did have success with last year's OC. 

The situation with the entire team just not showing up to play really has me stumped.  I just don't know what the problem even is, let alone having a solution for it.  Does anyone else have a theory as to why this is happening?

39 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This is an interesting post, @milanb , because the two things you cited are legitimate concerns.  Other than those, can you think of anything else?  The reason I ask is because I really do think he is an excellent coach.

The concern about the OC's is valid IMO.  In the case with DeFilippo, we had a guy who may have hoodwinked the whole league into believing he was the next big thing when he was actually in over his head at the OC position.  The same thing certainly can not be said about Norv Turner, however, because he is a man with many years as of success in this role.

Obviously, the second point you made about the team failing to show up for big games is of paramount importance.

The question I have is whether you get rid of a great coach because of these things, or is there a way for him to figure out what went wrong in these situations and not have them happen in the future, or is it a "terminal condition" for him as a head coach?  In the case of the OC's, I'm willing to overlook the past and hope he can get another one where that doesn't happen.  He did have success with last year's OC. 

The situation with the entire team just not showing up to play really has me stumped.  I just don't know what the problem even is, let alone having a solution for it.  Does anyone else have a theory as to why this is happening?

Actually Buck, I think it has to do with philosophy.  Zimmer, in some ways reminds me of Marty Schottenheimer.  Zimmer and Schottenheimer stressed discipline and even keeled emotions of players during the long season...combined with fairly conservative play calling...I think that serves a team well during the regular season...however, you have pull out all the stops in big playoff caliber games!  I don't think Zimmer sees a need to change his philosophy in beg games.

20 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Zimmer is not a bad coach, but I don’t think he’s the coach who’s going to take a team to the Super Bowl.

I think he is. I think he won't get their until he has an upgrade at QB. We've been outmatched the last two years against quality teams and QB play has a lot to do with it.