Week 14 GDT- Bills vs Jets Battle of the Rookies

Kmart128

3 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

Game. Can't honestly feel good about this one...definitely not any sort of moral victory, etc. Oh, yay! An earlier draft pick!

Hey I can... Our young people really played well and we get an earlier draft pick. Can't go wrong with that

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

The Bills are short on offensive talent. that's the bottom line.

Agreed. I think we need to take the rose-colored glasses off when evaluating Josh Allen though. It has been nothing but excuses like, "look at the talent surrounding him" or "he's a rookie and still growing" or "his upside is tremendous", etc. I think he is doing a better job with the decision-making, but the accuracy is not improving one lick. I don't see that as a consequence of young receivers as much I do with resulting from his mechanics. It is making me quite nervous.

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Allen either learns touch or we're drafting a new QB in a couple years. He isn't a thrower right now, he's an elite runner (we all saw that coming) but he can't throw right now and it's severely limiting the team.

He's still progressing ahead of schedule and his legs will keep him safe.  

I do see us taking another QB within a year or 2 late to develop 

I'm surprised by the Allen hate after that game? Yes he made some errant throws but lets look at the surrounding talent, it's hard to move the field against an NFL defense when you're trouting out:

- a weak OL

-Chris Ivory has your starting RB

-Charles clay, who had another drop or two.

-Zay Jones, Isiah McKenzie and Robert Foster as your WR's.

I counted 6 drops that went right off our WR's hands. They catch those and he's 24/36 and has a 66.7% completion percentage with probably another 50-70 yards.

I'm a lot more optimistic regarding Allen and the Bills future after these last 3 games. Once he settles down in the pocket and has some protection around him we'll be fine. I've seen that when he does have a pocket to throw in, most of the passes are perfect.

Josh Allen tried to do more then he needed to that early interception was a bone head move rather then throwing it away it was 1st down and you were up. With that being said he still is a rookie and is going to make rookie mistakes but he did not lose that game for them. That oline is horrendous and video shows they were getting owned in the trenches all game long. They really need to go in to the new year and throw money at that oline or Allen will be taking off running everytime.  And when he is not on the run the oline is getting flagged for holding, false start etc.

Another thing that cost the bills this game was special teams, Crossman needs to go and they need to bring in someone new. The penalties and piss poor blocking cost the bills. They made that fg and wasnt blocked who knows what would have happened. Huaschka would have never received that cheap shot and he may have had a chance at that 54 yd fg without a tweaked back.

Im happy the bills lost they werent making the playoffs after last weeks loss and they already beat the Jets once this year. So why waste the opportunity at a good pick. Being back 1 game to #1 overall and the opportunity to land one of the stud defensemen will be a gift the bills would like to have not to mention the position in every round being that much closer to the top of the round.

At this point I just hope Matt is okay for next year, he's been overwhelmingly our best player and has put together an all-pro caliber season before the injury. If it's significant he might miss time even next season. Lets all hope that's not the case and it's a simple, clean break with no ligament damage.

To be clear, I don't have any hate for Allen and I want the kid to succeed. Still, his mechanics do seem to result in inconsistent accuracy. LBF mentioned a need to develop touch and that does appear to be part of it as well. Re-watching the game there also were several drops, too, but my mind wanted to go watch again to look at Allen's ball placement, I just don't have the time. I'd feel better if I could just see him string a few games together where he connects. I probably just need to be a little more patient, but I'm just worried we might have got another QB who can't do QB things.

On the positive side, Josh has no quit in him and I like that. He does seem to be making better decisions as well. Lastly, the players around him seem to respect and respond to him and that is huge. I'd also bet that this is a kid who takes the time to work on his craft during the off-season, again, showcasing determination and leadership. SO even with my concerns about his accuracy, there is still much to like here. I'm just trying to keep it real.

19 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

At this point I just hope Matt is okay for next year, he's been overwhelmingly our best player and has put together an all-pro caliber season before the injury. If it's significant he might miss time even next season. Lets all hope that's not the case and it's a simple, clean break with no ligament damage.

Sounds like it's a fractured fibula. Like you said, no ligament damage is good news. Hopefully it just being a break allows him to come back quickly. 

Frustrating game and the special teams really needs to be addressed this offseason. That was simply unacceptable. 

I think Josh had a more up and down game then before but I think there are still positives from him and Foster that shouldn't be overlooked because of the picks and low completion percentage. I think he had six dropped passes which is insane. 

This definitely seems a lot more like Allen thought he had to do everything on his own, more so than past game. Cant say I really blame him too much, the lack of running game and protection is really forcing his hand. I dont want to completely absolve him of blame but putting a rookie with eight(?) starts in that position is going to force him to try and make things happen and I'd rather have that than a Tyrod like two yard pass to the flats on third and eight. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Frustrating game and the special teams really needs to be addressed this offseason. That was simply unacceptable. 

I think Josh had a more up and down game then before but I think there are still positives from him and Foster that shouldn't be overlooked because of the picks and low completion percentage. I think he had six dropped passes which is insane. 

This definitely seems a lot more like Allen thought he had to do everything on his own, more so than past game. Cant say I really blame him too much, the lack of running game and protection is really forcing his hand. I dont want to completely absolve him of blame but putting a rookie with eight(?) starts in that position is going to force him to try and make things happen and I'd rather have that than a Tyrod like two yard pass to the flats on third and eight. 

He seems like an insane competitor and that’s what the trying to do it all on his own because he has no help around him. Again if he’s doing this in two years when there (let’s hope) is talent around him then there will be an issue.

Archived