2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

Any word on the Head Coaching interviews scheduled this week?  My #1 choice remains Mike McCarthy.  I want an offensive-minded HC with experience.    Mike McCarthy fits the bill.  Jim Caldwell is another option I would consider.  I also want an experienced Defensive Coordinator as well.

27 minutes ago, famousj said:

Any word on the Head Coaching interviews scheduled this week?  My #1 choice remains Mike McCarthy.  I want an offensive-minded HC with experience.    Mike McCarthy fits the bill.  Jim Caldwell is another option I would consider.  I also want an experienced Defensive Coordinator as well.

Browns fans seem to think we're not letting MM leave town without a deal. Guess we'll find out soon.

26 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Browns fans seem to think we're not letting MM leave town without a deal. Guess we'll find out soon.

Lol he and we already left... we're in Texas to interview Richard. 

The Jets will let it play out. Signing McCarthy will be a $9-10 million a year gig, so they owe it to themselves to interview all of the candidates on their list. Unlike most years, they're one of the top 2 destinations for a coach (at least for coaches they're looking at), so there shouldn't be much pressure to rush. 

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Lol he and we already left... we're in Texas to interview Richard. 

The Jets will let it play out. Signing McCarthy will be a $9-10 million a year gig, so they owe it to themselves to interview all of the candidates on their list. Unlike most years, they're one of the top 2 destinations for a coach (at least for coaches they're looking at), so there shouldn't be much pressure to rush. 

Who do you want most? I like MM and Monken personally.

5 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Who do you want most? I like MM and Monken personally.

McCarthy. I understand some of the criticisms of hiring him, but bottom line is we need a coach that can 1) assure that Darnold maximizes his potential, and 2) establishes a winning culture in the organization. Of all the candidates available, he is the one that has the highest probability of achieving those feats because he's done it already. 

Yes I get that he had Aaron Rodgers. He also developed him, and he's been a very successful coach for a long time. Did his offenses become stale? Somewhat, but the same can be said for many coaches. Also, there was a discord with Rodgers, but no one seems to want to question whether Rodgers was right/wrong? Furthermore, whose to say those same issues will arise with Darnold (very unlikely)? In my opinion, Rodgers became a thorn in McCarthy's side. He now wants to call the shots, and with McCarthy in place that wasn't happening. 

We're not in on these meetings, but I'm sure the Jets were very forthright with McCarthy in wanting to know how he plans to reinvent his offense. Some of the questions most likely were:

• Who do you have in mind for your staff? 
  • Will you be calling plays?
  • How do you plan to evolve this offense? 

We're all making assumptions that McCarthy won't change. Chances are he will... many times a fresh start is needed for a coach to reinvent themselves. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

McCarthy. I understand some of the criticisms of hiring him, but bottom line is we need a coach that can 1) assure that Darnold maximizes his potential, and 2) establishes a winning culture in the organization. Of all the candidates available, he is the one that has the highest probability of achieving those feats because he's done it already. 

Yes I get that he had Aaron Rodgers. He also developed him, and he's been a very successful coach for a long time. Did his offenses become stale? Somewhat, but the same can be said for many coaches. Also, there was a discord with Rodgers, but no one seems to want to question whether Rodgers was right/wrong? Furthermore, whose to say those same issues will arise with Darnold (very unlikely)? In my opinion, Rodgers became a thorn in McCarthy's side. He now wants to call the shots, and with McCarthy in place that wasn't happening. 

We're not in on these meetings, but I'm sure the Jets were very forthright with McCarthy in wanting to know how he plans to reinvent his offense. Some of the questions most likely were:

• Who do you have in mind for your staff? 
  • Will you be calling plays?
  • How do you plan to evolve this offense? 

We're all making assumptions that McCarthy won't change. Chances are he will... many times a fresh start is needed for a coach to reinvent themselves. 

I can't see how a coach wouldn't wanna come here and make us a more vertical offense. We have the pieces for it: Sam, Robby, Q, Herndon... one more addition like Tyrell Williams, Tyler Lockett, or AB with the right offensive scheme in place would make us lethal. Then go draft Jonah Williams at #3 and make sure we have the protection to execute these plays. Monken is really interesting to me with the way he calls plays. Just hope whoever we pick is the right decision, I can't endure any more losing and it's now or never for this franchise to capitalize on having a franchise QB and all this cap space and the #3 pick.

It sounds like the Rhule interview/non-interview will he kept under wraps as long as possible due to recruiting season. Any official confirmation could impact Baylor’s efforts in luring new recruits. 

Will be interesting to see if they would confirm an interview with him as they did other candidates.

45 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It sounds like the Rhule interview/non-interview will he kept under wraps as long as possible due to recruiting season. Any official confirmation could impact Baylor’s efforts in luring new recruits. 

Will be interesting to see if they would confirm an interview with him as they did other candidates.

I was thinking the same thing. I bet the interview quietly happens today while jets brass is in Texas. If Rhule interviews well and they want to talk to him again we might not even hear about that interview. 

16 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Let’s be honest. 

None of us would have wanted Frank Reich as Head Coach last year. 

And look at what he’s done in Indy. 

Sometimes it’s the guy you least expect. 

The thing is does lightning really strike twice? 

Frank Reich deserves a ton of credit, but they also had a top 5 GM and an excellent defensive coordinator, DL coach, and OL coach put in place (I guess they can thank McDaniels for that). I'm a fan of Maccagnan, but I'm also a realist. Ballard is truly a top 5 executive in the NFL and learned from the right people along the way. It was his call to hire Reich - despite no prior experience with him - and he nailed it. I don't know that we have someone in our building with those kind of cojones... 

Archived