2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

We’ve been throwing around names in the Todd Bowles thread, but wanted to make a thread that organizes league info more. 

Barring a miracle Todd’s stint as the HC for the NYJ will come to an end. He knows it, but is an honorable man with morals and gamesmanship- the job isn’t done until it’s done. With that said, below are the current and projected openings around the NFL entering this offseason... 

• Baltimore Ravens - the situation reeks of one where both the organization and coach will seek a fresh start absent a deep playoff run. Ownership is committed to DeCosta as the top of their football program, it’ll end with a “mutual agreement to part ways” or a jointly agreed upon trade. 
  • Cleveland Browns - the Browns are unlikely to name their coach mid-season out of respect for Gregg Williams (they want him to stay as DC), but all signs point to Mike McCarthy being their head coach. My source? A family friend of John Dorsey... so can take how you please. This same friend was in New York two nights ago, and McCarthy was as well. They spoke, and he thanked McCarthy for his years with the Packers. No word why, but just figured I’d put it in there. 
  • Cincinnati Bengals - this is going to be a good one. Chances are the promote Hue Jackson to HC with Marvin taking a front office role. 
  • Green Bay Packers - also already have fired their coach, this one is very unpredictable. From one prospective this is a top destination in the NFL: historic organization with the best QB in the league. That said, the coach would come in knowing that the QB holds all the power in the organization, and coaches who want more power may opt against reporting to both a GM and the QB... 
  • New York Jets - I’ve said time and time again I think John Harbaugh will be our next coach, and I believe that wholeheartedly. 2018-19 has been a year of change: we finally got the QB (also first offensive player selected in round 1 since Sanchez). Christopher Johnson is overseeing the Jets transition to a more progressive identity, which involves a (supposedly) dramatic update to the teams Uniform and Logo in 2019. That small detail indicates that they will break the trend and go in one-of-two directions: (1) hire an established HC; or (2) hire a hot offensive candidate. I think they will go the CEO, established coach route and prefer a guy who is comfortable managing a whole team (see Harbaugh), which is what they wanted Bowles to transition into. With a top pick, money to spend, and Darnold, the Jets appear to be one of the best situations in the league. 
  • Tampa Bay - anything short of a playoff birth will likely result in a change for a team that lacks a true destination. 

Other teams that could make a change: ATL, ARI, CAR, DEN, JAX, MIA

17 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I just can’t see us getting close to a Harbaugh or McCarthy if we keep Maccagnan as GM.

John Harbaugh?  He will work with someone other than Ozzie Newsome for first time so it doesn't matter who is it.  Maccagnan will make a strong influence on hiring HC so yeah, it is possible.

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I just can’t see us getting close to a Harbaugh or McCarthy if we keep Maccagnan as GM.

Maccagnan is well respected. That’s not to say he’d be their first choice, but he has enough credibility for a coach to give him a shot. Not undifferent from the Gruden/McKenzie situation (although in that circumstance doesn’t look good for the latter)

13 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Maccagnan is well respected. That’s not to say he’d be their first choice, but he has enough credibility for a coach to give him a shot. Not undifferent from the Gruden/McKenzie situation (although in that circumstance doesn’t look good for the latter)

I understand Raiders ownership stepped over Reggie McKenzie and hired Jon Gruden for the exact reason.  Chris Johnson won't do it which is a good news, barring Woody come back.

Do you think Ravens and John Harbaugh will change their mind and stay at each other once Ravens successfully clinch a playoff berth?  Even though Lamar Jackson is from from NFL qb Ravens surely look a winning team with him in the helm. Attitude and chemistry remain strong in the M&T Bank .

39 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Do you think Ravens and John Harbaugh will change their mind and stay at each other once Ravens successfully clinch a playoff berth?  Even though Lamar Jackson is from from NFL qb Ravens surely look a winning team with him in the helm. Attitude and chemistry remain strong in the M&T Bank .

Good point. I was actually going to point this out. There’s no guarantee Harbaugh is gone.

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Good point. I was actually going to point this out. There’s no guarantee Harbaugh is gone.

Yeah.. If he stayed with Ravens, Savannah River would swell uncontrollably. @rickyt31

Anyway, a painstaking guesswork for Jets' newly appointed head coach is really annoying.  I don't care what people think it certainly is no fun.

Edit: Mike Florio said Ravens could play the compensation crap for losing John Harbaugh if they want to. Damn.

12 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Personally I don't think its as much about John Harbaugh changing their minds... I think Baltimore needs to change his mind.

4 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Personally I don't think its as much about John Harbaugh changing their minds... I think Baltimore needs to change his mind.

I agree but I also think that if he sticks with Jackson over a healthy Flacco it will be a sign that he will stay with the Ravens. Jackson brings a completely different dimension to the team and Harbaugh might like the idea of building a team around him.

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

I agree but I also think that if he sticks with Jackson over a healthy Flacco it will be a sign that he will stay with the Ravens. Jackson brings a completely different dimension to the team and Harbaugh might like the idea of building a team around him.

I don’t think so. Harbaugh is a passionate HC. Whether he’s leaving or not... he wants to win and go to the playoffs. He’ll play whoever gives him the best chance to win. I don’t think who he chooses at QB shows his cards at all if he’s leaving or not.

I think Harbaugh wants out. Jackson is not that good of a QB. He is terrible at throwing the ball. Ya he can run big deal. Harbaugh wants a QB that can throw the ball around and build a strong D. The D is getting old and no QB or RB to handle the O. If they make the playoffs they will need a good run. If they lose out in the first round he will leave. I still think the Jets job is HIGH priority for a lot of coaches especially if they finish on a high not by winning 2 more games this year. I have a funny feeling the Jets beat the Pats at NE. 

Browns, Ravens and Browns are ahead of us because they have stability in the front office. 

Bengals likely hire Hue from what I’ve read. 

Bucs are probably the least favorable and they need to scrap everyone and start fresh. 

Falcons are 50/50, aging QB who hasn’t got it done and some big decisions coming up.

then there’s teams like Carolina, Jacksonville, Washington, Dallas? 

Jets are in the middle but could fall.

if Macc stays you have a lame duck GM who hasn’t shown he can build a team

you’re also stuck with Darnold for at least the next 3 years so your job is tied to the kid. 

Basically the coach has to love Darnold, likely be comfortable with having a new boss and being under huge scrutiny the next 2 years from the fans and potential new GM.

Next coach has to win now, if he doesn’t then Macc is gone, new guy comes in and take over and then he likely wants his own guy. 

Just fire everyone and start fresh. 

Archived