2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

All things considered, I do like the list of coaches we have put together. I haven’t been giving Caldwell the credit he deserves because he’s comes off as a boring hire, but he is a good candidate. McCarthy is a top tier candidate any year, and whether you’re down on him or not based on what happened this year, it would be our best hire since Parcells. 

Kingsbury and Monken are interesting names. Former head coaches of college programs, very innovative offensive minds. They fit the current NFL landscape. If they interview well need to strongly consider. 

I’m uninspired by Gase, even though he appears to be a solid coach... don’t like hearing that he burned bridges with ownership on his way out, even if I think that organizational structure is messy. I don’t know how to feel about Bienemy- I’d rather see him leave the Reid nest as a standalone OC first, but worth considering given the success of his coaching tree. Richard would be an uninspiring hire for me. I like his scheme, but feels too much like Todd Bowles 2.0. 

Kingsbury - I still don't know what would make him a good HC besides him having a good offense and Tech (who has always had a good offense). I wouldn't write him off, but he's just a part of the QB guru trend everyone is searching for. 

Monken - Tampa had the #3 offensive yards and #12 PPG even with the QB mess. I'm interested in him. Has HC experience. Their defense was the problem, not the offense. 

Gase - I wasn't high on him, but he was down to Osweiler and Frank Gore. You can't do much with that. The offense was pretty good when Albert Wilson was hot at WR until he got hurt. I wouldn't hate this, but I don't have high expectations. Both sides of the ball was bad in Miami. 

Bienemy - Doesn't have the resume, but does have leadership qualities and isn't looking to run the ball like most people are assuming. He's tough. If he brings that same system, putting Herndon in Kelce shoes would be amazing. But there is a lot of IF's to his situation and how much he learned from Ried. I'm not bothered by him not calling plays because a lot of HC's don't. 

Richard - I liked him when I seen how well he turned around dallas defense and how much his players love him. I love his energy the most, but I had no idea he is the passing coordinator for Dallas for dak's best year. Makes him different from other defensive coaches when he is in charge of preparing the passing game and defending it. But he doesn't have a the strong resume I'm looking for and it would ride on his OC/Offensive system knowledge. 

McCarthy - Even though his SB was almost 10 years ago, I don't put the last two losing seasons on him. Rodgers went down for 1 and there wasn't much talent for the last. It's hard for me to say no to him and I don't think CJ will either. My biggest problem is how bad the Packers defense has been over the years. I know everyone is looking for the QB God, but you're not going far if you don't have a defense that can at least contain. Brees missed out on a lot because of a bad Saints defense. 

Out of this group, my top 3 is McCarthy, Monken, and Richard. 

A cautionary tale how hard it is to land the right head coach, and why this evidence makes McCarthy such a good candidate... 

2013-2015 Coaching Changes

Team 2013 Coach 2014 Coach
Cleveland Browns  Rob Chudzinski  Mike Pettine
Detroit Lions Jim Schwartz Jim Caldwell
Houston Texans  Gary Kubiak Bill O’Brien
Minnesota Vikings Leslie Frazier Mike Zimmer
Tampa Bay Buccaneers  Greg Schiano Lovie Smith
Tennessee Titans Mike Munchak Ken Whisenhunt
Washington Redskins  Mike Shanahan Jay Gruden

2014-2015 Coaching Changes

Team 2014 Coach 2015 Coach
Atlanta Falcons Mike Smith Dan Quinn
Buffalo Bills Doug Marrone Rex Ryan
Chicago Bears Marc Trestman John Fox
Denver Broncos John Fox Gary Kubiak* (won SB 50)
New York Jets Rex Ryan Todd Bowles
Oakland Raiders Dennis Allen Jack Del Rio
SF 49ers Jim Harbaugh Jim Tomsula

2015-2016 Coaching Changes

Team 2015 Coach 2016 Coach
Cleveland Browns Mike Pettine Hue Jackson
Miami Dolphins Joe Philbin Adam Gase
New York Giants Tom Coughlin Ben McAdoo
Philadelphia Eagles Chip Kelly Doug Pederson
San Francisco 49ers Jim Tomsula Chip Kelly
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lovie Smith Dirk Koetter
Tennessee Titans Ken Whisenhunt Mike Mularkey

2016-2017 Coaching Changes

Team 2016 Coach 2017 Coach
Buffalo Bills Rex Ryan Sean McDermott
Denver Broncos Gary Kubiak  Vance Joseph
Los Angeles Rams Jeff Fisher Sean McVay
Jacksonville Jaguars Gus Bradley Doug Marrone
San Diego Chargers Mike McCoy Anthony Lynn
San Francisco 49ers Chip Kelly Kyle Shanahan

Recent coaching hires really haven't gone according to plan. In reality, it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot. It's hard to project what you'll get in a coordinator and most that had prior head coaching experience had a sub-.500 record (or significantly mixed results at their former jobs). It's extraordinarily rare that a coach with the kind of success McCarthy (12+ seasons as HC, .618 win %, .556 playoff win %, 8 seasons with double-digit win totals, Super Bowl champion). Say what you want about how it ended and cite the fact that he did have Aaron Rodgers, but many of the Packers rosters have been underwhelming and McCarthy was still able to find ways to produce, even when the odds were stacked against him.  

It would be amazing to see him hire an innovative offensive coordinator to imbed new concepts to the offense (he toyed with the Air Raid last year, so maybe Monkin/Kingsbury would be a possibility?), but even if he stuck with a traditional staff hiring McCarthy would be an absolute slam dunk. 

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-head-coach-search-mike-mccarthy-fired/2019/1/3/18166697/packers-head-coaching-candidate-list-shows-josh-mcdaniels-mike-mccarthy

MM is hard man to replace in GB. umm.

If he continues overworking himself then Cleveland is the best destination for him since he wants to stay close to his 2 hs stepdaughters.  If he decides to lighten his workload and focus on the field only then Jets have a shot to get him.  To make him a successful hire for Jets he needs solid surroundings in East Rutherford and Florham Park.

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Kingsbury - I still don't know what would make him a good HC besides him having a good offense and Tech (who has always had a good offense). I wouldn't write him off, but he's just a part of the QB guru trend everyone is searching for. 

Monken - Tampa had the #3 offensive yards and #12 PPG even with the QB mess. I'm interested in him. Has HC experience. Their defense was the problem, not the offense. 

Gase - I wasn't high on him, but he was down to Osweiler and Frank Gore. You can't do much with that. The offense was pretty good when Albert Wilson was hot at WR until he got hurt. I wouldn't hate this, but I don't have high expectations. Both sides of the ball was bad in Miami. 

Bienemy - Doesn't have the resume, but does have leadership qualities and isn't looking to run the ball like most people are assuming. He's tough. If he brings that same system, putting Herndon in Kelce shoes would be amazing. But there is a lot of IF's to his situation and how much he learned from Ried. I'm not bothered by him not calling plays because a lot of HC's don't. 

Richard - I liked him when I seen how well he turned around dallas defense and how much his players love him. I love his energy the most, but I had no idea he is the passing coordinator for Dallas for dak's best year. Makes him different from other defensive coaches when he is in charge of preparing the passing game and defending it. But he doesn't have a the strong resume I'm looking for and it would ride on his OC/Offensive system knowledge. 

McCarthy - Even though his SB was almost 10 years ago, I don't put the last two losing seasons on him. Rodgers went down for 1 and there wasn't much talent for the last. It's hard for me to say no to him and I don't think CJ will either. My biggest problem is how bad the Packers defense has been over the years. I know everyone is looking for the QB God, but you're not going far if you don't have a defense that can at least contain. Brees missed out on a lot because of a bad Saints defense. 

Out of this group, my top 3 is McCarthy, Monken, and Richard. 

I am similar .. my top 3 ...

McCarthy, Monken, Bienemy

McCarthy, Kingsbury/Monken for me. 

Really like Richard but just do not want him due to his defensive background. We MUST get Sam the HC he needs. 

McCarthy is my favourite for the job but I’d be just as happy with either Monken or Kingsbury. 

McCarthy doesn’t bring much excitement to me. I just don’t see the upside there however he’s experienced so there’s little to no learning on the job for him. 

In that regard him and Gase have edges over other candidates. 

However I’ve seen one with the best QB ever from a talent perspective and the other with the most cerebral QB ever. 

Archived