2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

23 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

He's their top guy. Strong, strong feeling they get their man.

Do you think they try to not allow him to leave if the interview goes well enough?

Personally I think that would be a mistake, I'd like to see all the candidates receive interviews before a decision is made. I also think McCarthy is interested enough in the Browns job that he'll want to interview with them first before making a decision.

I still like KK, Rhule and Monken better as of right now. 

7 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Do you think they try to not allow him to leave if the interview goes well enough?

Personally I think that would be a mistake, I'd like to see all the candidates receive interviews before a decision is made. I also think McCarthy is interested enough in the Browns job that he'll want to interview with them first before making a decision.

Rarely do coaches sign that fast like players. I think any coach we interview will interview for whatever jobs they’re interested in and then make a decision.

8 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

I think the media is behind on a lot of things. You have to remember there is a lot of back channel work going on right now, and they're getting feedback that we're not privy to. Rhule may have already told us he has no intension to leave.

In regards to others you mention, I still think the Jets will want to meet with KK, Monken, and Richard mainly out of respect but also potentially to sell them on the idea of joining a McCarthy staff if the opportunity presents itself. They'll compliment them on their interview, promise to spread the word, but if no one else gives them a job... let them know they can potentially make them one of the highest paid coordinators in the league. 

For what its worth, this is what Garafolo is saying... 

I think the big thing McCarthy had to do was feel out the intricacies of our franchise - the area, the facility, the people - because he's not one for the big city lights every single day. This was part of the courtship getting Favre here- showing that Florham Park-area is a very desirable and secluded place to live. I wrote about how my friend was with McCarthy in NYC at an event not long ago, and he seemed to like the city more than he thought he would. He has 2 daughters that are finishing up high school, but he's obviously looking much further into the future... does he feel this is somewhere he and his wife can live happily most of the year? I think the answer is now a clear yes, which really helps the Jets chances at landing him. 

The other big reason why Mike McCarthy may like this situation greater than the Browns... 

No doubt the Browns are better off in the short-term, but McCarthy knows he has a chance to be here for the rest of his career. Would he rather be "married" to Darnold or Baker? My sense is Darnold. We saw how difficult it became for him to coexhist with Rodgers, who has always had somewhat of a diva personality even before he became the Rodgers we know today. He's a "different" guy who is kind of condescending and arrogant, which sometimes can rub people the wrong way. Remember, same guy who has completely cut off his entire family... just how he is. 

So back to Darnold vs. Baker. After coaching Favre and Rodgers, who would McCarthy rather coach for the next 10+ years? The soft-spoken yet confident Darnold, or the loud and polarizing Mayfield. Look at how Mayfield has treated his former head coaches in Kliff Kingsbury and Hue Jackson (Hue is a joke but is well respected) versus how Darnold speaks of his coaches. They're totally different personalities, and for a no-nonsense coach Darnold's toned-down persona is blessing. 

Couple the personality factor with Darnold's exquisite talent and seamless fit in McCarthy's offense, the answer is clear: He'd rather work with Darnold

18 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think the media is behind on a lot of things. You have to remember there is a lot of back channel work going on right now, and they're getting feedback that we're not privy to. Rhule may have already told us he has no intension to leave.

In regards to others you mention, I still think the Jets will want to meet with KK, Monken, and Richard mainly out of respect but also potentially to sell them on the idea of joining a McCarthy staff if the opportunity presents itself. They'll compliment them on their interview, promise to spread the word, but if no one else gives them a job... let them know they can potentially make them one of the highest paid coordinators in the league. 

For what its worth, this is what Garafolo is saying... 

I think the big thing McCarthy had to do was feel out the intricacies of our franchise - the area, the facility, the people - because he's not one for the big city lights every single day. This was part of the courtship getting Favre here- showing that Florham Park-area is a very desirable and secluded place to live. I wrote about how my friend was with McCarthy in NYC at an event not long ago, and he seemed to like the city more than he thought he would. He has 2 daughters that are finishing up high school, but he's obviously looking much further into the future... does he feel this is somewhere he and his wife can live happily most of the year? I think the answer is now a clear yes, which really helps the Jets chances at landing him. 

I completely agree, I also believe the media is pretty far behind and the jets may have already interviewed someone, and we have no idea it happened.

I wouldn't be mad with the McCarthy hiring, especially if hes willing to work with an OC who may bring some innovation to his offense, but I'd still be more excited about KK, Rhule or Monken being the guy. 

1 minute ago, mattmanz91 said:

I completely agree, I also believe the media is pretty far behind and the jets may have already interviewed someone, and we have no idea it happened.

I wouldn't be mad with the McCarthy hiring, especially if hes willing to work with an OC who may bring some innovation to his offense, but I'd still be more excited about KK, Rhule or Monken being the guy. 

One of Maccagnan's accomplishments that ownership is very happy with is that he has totally eliminated the leaks. No beat reporters have an idea what we're doing. Just some examples: look at last year when we traded up, or when we signed Enunwa. Not a peep. 

The Jets, however, have been making announcements when we interview someone. So I do think that its possible we have had conversations with guys that are expected to interview, but the Jets haven't confirmed they would interview... the media could just be running with it. 

The Jets have satisfied the Rooney Rule, so they can absolutely sign McCarthy today if they so chose. I just don't know if that's their intention. 

A few other things... 

• McCarthy doesn't have a desire to leave coaching. Has a lot left. He's choosy, but can't be too choosy. Who's going to have a better job available next year? What young QBs are coming out more promising then Darnold/Mayfield? It's not like he can sit out for a year, jump back in next year, and have a better situation. He was always going to pick one of these jobs if offered... 
  • I mentioned a potential desire to work with Darnold over Mayfield, but the point everyone keeps missing: McCarthy is going into this knowing that its a long-term deal, and he'll have more power here immediately (with a clear the opportunity to earn more power) than he would in Cleveland. And believe it or not, Christopher Johnson earns a ton of praise around the league. He's more desirable to work under than Haslam... 

Cleveland's reporting structure:

• HCDorseyHaslam
  • DePodestaHaslam (with many speculating DePodesta has more power than Dorsey)

New York's reporting structure: 

• HCC.Johnson
  • MaccagnanC.Johnson
  • Finally, Maccagnan has shown to be a GM who tries to get players who he feels the coaching staff will use/fit their plan, which is also why I think he got another chance. Say what you want about him, but he's very easy to work with and Todd had a major say when it came to the draft. On the flip-side, McCarthy was frustrated in the personnel department in GB because of their unwillingness to get players that fit what he wanted to do. Seeing eye-to-eye on that front could go a long way to establishing a good relationship. 

Archived