2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Again, the beat is behind on the coaching search... 

That's a bummer, I like him alot. Unless USC changes their mind I don't see him getting an interview.

I would bet if Rhule is interested, he gets interviewed tomorrow while the jets are in Texas for kris Richard's interview. I also think we wont hear anything about it since recruiting season is about to be in full swing and if word got out,  it would hurt Baylor's chances of recruiting desirable players. 

Updated coaching search... 

• Eric Bieniemy (interviewed Thurs) 
  • Adam Gase (interviewed Fri) 
  • Mike McCarthy (interviewed Sat) 
  • Kris Richard (expected to interview Sun) 
  • Jim Caldwell* (unknown) 
  • Todd Monken* (unknown) 
  • Matt Rhule** (unknown) 
  • Matt Campbell (elected not to interview) 
  • Kliff Kingsbury (blocked by USC)

*in regards to Caldwell and Monken, there are rumors we are expected to interview but nothing formal has been reported. There are rumors Monken could stay with the Bucs if Arians takes over. 

**in regards to Rhule, there hasn't been any indication whether a formal interview will occur, just that the Jets have interest. Also, keep in mind that Baylor has to grant him permission to interview per NFL rules. 

KK knew that when he signed with USC for OC job.  Move on.

I understand that Harold Goodwin is available as well.  If Bruce Arians wants to call game himself then Goodwin could be his OC instead.   Todd Monken deserves the opportunity to call game and should not be humbled by Arians' ego.

17 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

• Todd Monken* (unknown) 
  • Matt Rhule** (unknown) 

*in regards to Caldwell and Monken, there are rumors we are expected to interview but nothing formal has been reported. There are rumors Monken could stay with the Bucs if Arians takes over. 

**in regards to Rhule, there hasn't been any indication whether a formal interview will occur, just that the Jets have interest. Also, keep in mind that Baylor has to grant him permission to interview per NFL rules. 

I don't feel any good with this short list but it is still early.  We will learn more about Todd Monken on Tuesday or later.  I hope Baylor wants to go back to up tempo offense so their AD can grant the permission.

42 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

• Todd Monken (expected to interview Tues) 
  • Matt Rhule** (unknown) 

*in regards to Caldwell, there are rumors we are expected to interview but nothing formal has been reported.

Updated

Just now, JetsandI said:

Buccaneers media crap announced that they would have new HC by Tuesday yesterday.  Bruce Arians just completed the interview with Buccaneers today. WTF?

All indications are that he will be their next HC. He's close with Licht and has a strong personal bond with Jameis. Given his age, he's an ideal candidate for the Bucs to revitalize the organization and fan base with a big name, but also blow it up in 2-3 years if all goes sour. 

The most interesting aspect of this? Arizona may be entitled to compensation if the Bucs elect to hire him. 

Unless we're in the Harbaugh trade hunt, I think it's going to be McCarthy. Even if the other coaches seem like they could be better, we'll probably pick him because of our situation and his resume. Since 2010, he's only had 2 seasons below .500 and one was without Rodgers. The Saints, had 4 losing seasons since 2010. Since he was the head coach before Rodgers started, he can say he groomed him. The patience has ran out and we need to turn things around and at least be contenders for a longer stretch than 2 years. There are some other coaches I think will be good, but I'm not sure if we can pass on him. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

A few other things... 

• McCarthy doesn't have a desire to leave coaching. Has a lot left. He's choosy, but can't be too choosy. Who's going to have a better job available next year? What young QBs are coming out more promising then Darnold/Mayfield? It's not like he can sit out for a year, jump back in next year, and have a better situation. He was always going to pick one of these jobs if offered... 
  • I mentioned a potential desire to work with Darnold over Mayfield, but the point everyone keeps missing: McCarthy is going into this knowing that its a long-term deal, and he'll have more power here immediately (with a clear the opportunity to earn more power) than he would in Cleveland. And believe it or not, Christopher Johnson earns a ton of praise around the league. He's more desirable to work under than Haslam... 
  • Finally, Maccagnan has shown to be a GM who tries to get players who he feels the coaching staff will use/fit their plan, which is also why I think he got another chance. Say what you want about him, but he's very easy to work with and Todd had a major say when it came to the draft. On the flip-side, McCarthy was frustrated in the personnel department in GB because of their unwillingness to get players that fit what he wanted to do. Seeing eye-to-eye on that front could go a long way to establishing a good relationship. 

ADDITIONS

• Also, there is pressure from the Browns hierarchy to retain Freddie Kitchens as OC. They also want to retain a number of coaches on the defensive side. As good as these guys looked, whose to say McCarthy would want this? Being as accomplished as he is, the expectation is he'd want to hire his own staff. 
  • Maybe looking into this too deeply, but why would the Browns reschedule the highest profile coaching candidate on your list to interview Kevin Stefanski? Maybe because you already have an idea that McCarthy is aiming for the Jets job, and the Browns would rather spend their valuable time focusing on candidates much more likely to take the job. Dorsey and McCarthy have a relationship, and McCarthy is a stand-up guy... could have given him a heads up on his intentions. Remember, this has been in the works for a while, its not like it happened overnight. 

Added content to this

29 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Unless we're in the Harbaugh trade hunt, I think it's going to be McCarthy. Even if the other coaches seem like they could be better, we'll probably pick him because of our situation and his resume. Since 2010, he's only had 2 seasons below .500 and one was without Rodgers. The Saints, had 4 losing seasons since 2010. Since he was the head coach before Rodgers started, he can say he groomed him. The patience has ran out and we need to turn things around and at least be contenders for a longer stretch than 2 years. There are some other coaches I think will be good, but I'm not sure if we can pass on him. 

Hoping he doesn't wanna go to Cleveland for some reason cuz rumor has it that he wants to stay as close to GB as possible. Not to mention, he has a connection with Browns GM John Dorsey.

Anyone else see Rodgers traits in Darnold? Gotta also wonder if MM sees history repeating itself.

Archived