2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

34 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

For those who don't understand why some don't want McCarthy, let me explain.  First off, he runs an outdated WCO.  Obviously, he can adapt from that.  Past players have complained that he doesn't utilize them well/scheme well.  Will he change from that?  Hard to say.  For those complaining about Bowles being conservative, McCarthy is the king.  The Packers collapse started earlier this year against Seattle.  They were down 3 with 4 minutes left and it was 4th and 2.  He punted.  Rodgers never got the ball back.  On the drive prior, Russ completed a long pass that was called complete on the field, but was clearly incomplete.  He didn't challenge.  He has a lot of flaws.  If he doesn't learn from these flaws, we'll be stuck in mediocrity.  

Well said. I have to imagine that these flaws could also be part of the hold up. If Macc is envisioning an offense like the Rams, Chiefs, etc and McCarthy came with a list of old school OC, that would cause me to pause as well. 

That’s all speculation though. 

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

There were bigger issues.  Yes, talent was an issue at one point, but McCarthy has major flaws.  It's all contingent on him learning and growing from those flaws.  

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Pretty sure he had input in roster building decisions and with the likelyhood of him asking for more power that is also a huge red flag actually.

Not that Mac has done better though.

Talent has only been an issue recently. The Packers used to be annual Super Bowl threats as recently as two years ago. Remember he used to have Greg Jennings, a prime Randall Cobb & Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley, Jared Cook, the list goes on. Defense has also fallen off big time. It's hard to say who's at fault for that but I think talent was factor #1. Is he perferct? No, but a lot of these same things were being said about Reid in Philly before he got hired and look how that turned out.

59 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Bro are you serious? I explained what I meant by that. You all touted a Super Bowl from 10 years ago. Sure he’s won but again don’t you want to win big for once in your life time? We might as well hire Brian Billick, John Fox or Tom Coughlin. They’re winning coaches too. 

Packers are 13-18-1 the last 2 years.

Last year Rodgers was hurt. This year no excuse but I think it's gotta be the worst Packers team I've seen in the MM era. Kinda funny that MM's worst year would be our best record in the past three years.

Prior to this two year span, his teams have been rock solid. I'm guessing our FO must think a fresh start is what he needs. I'm really hoping we hire an OC like Monken to help integrate a new school offense, because even if we do hire Monken as OC, I expect him to be gone as a HC soon after anyway, but maybe he can teach McCarthy some new tricks.

Just now, jetjuice said:

Last year Rodgers was hurt. This year no excuse but I think it's gotta be the worst Packers team I've seen in the MM era. Kinda funny that MM's worst year would be our best record in the past three years.

Prior to this two year span, his teams have been rock solid. I'm guessing our FO must think a fresh start is what he needs. I'm really hoping we hire an OC like Monken to help integrate a new school offense, because even if we do hire Monken as OC, I expect him to be gone as a HC soon after anyway, but maybe he can teach McCarthy some new tricks.

But see that's the issue. McCarthy does not seem like he would take on an OC like Monken and does NOT seem willing to install an offense other than his WCO. Monken has the exact opposite mindset of McCarthy. Very aggressive play caller, where McCarthy is text book conservative. It's not a pairing I'd expect to happen. It's gonna be Philbin or Macadoo.

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

This is a good point. Having MM as an HC would help us if we bring in an innovative OC that quickly get's poached because MM won't be dependent on an OC. He can insulate Darnold in those situations too.

Just now, Sandwhich2 said:

But see that's the issue. McCarthy does not seem like he would take on an OC like Monken and does NOT seem willing to install an offense other than his WCO. Monken has the exact opposite mindset of McCarthy. Very aggressive play caller, where McCarthy is text book conservative. It's not a pairing I'd expect to happen. It's gonna be Philbin or Macadoo.

Gotta wonder if our brass is testing MM's ability to adapt. I'd be happy with either at this point. Not a good sign that Monken is heading to Jacksonville today.

Still don't know anything about Rhule, but I definitely don't want one of those old school "run the ball first" mentality guys. If that's how he is, no thanks.

Like I've said before. I think we want Rhule and we are waiting on his decision.

It comes down to: stay at Baylor where he's in the process of turning the program around and having success or leave to coach his hometown team and move back to where he's from. An opportunity that may never present itself ever again.

The fact that it's out in the open that we've spoken to him and he hasn't pulled his name out of consideration like he did with the colts last year I think means he's definitely considering taking the job.

13 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

I'm genuinely baffled that anyone expects McCarthy to bring in a high profile OC. Baffled that you'd even expect anyone other than McCarthy to be calling plays.

He's looking for more power not less.  I agree he's going to do things his way for sure.

1 minute ago, mattmanz91 said:

Like I've said before. I think we want Rhule and we are waiting on his decision.

It comes down to: stay at Baylor where he's in the process of turning the program around and having success or leave to coach his hometown team and move back to where he's from. An opportunity that may never present itself ever again.

The fact that it's out in the open that we've spoken to him and he hasn't pulled his name out of consideration like he did with the colts last year I think means he's definitely considering taking the job.

I'm coming around on Rhule.  He scares me with his offensive scheme he ran at Temple with 60% runs but when he left for Baylor he incorporated a lot of what Art Briles did so well and showed a willingness to adapt.  That shows me he is willing to move towards a more modern offense.  While I'm still not sold on him I hope he brings Monken in as OC and Monken tudors someone under him that when he inevitability gets his shot as a HC we don't completely lose the offense forcing Sam to learn a new one.  Really need to keep that continuity for Sam's sake.

My biggest fear in all this is that Sam learns the new offense and then we lose the OC to a HC position ruining his development.  I'm looking for a long term offense for him to grow with.

Rhule is only a good option is we are grabbing Monken as OC IMO (or another really talented OC).

To touch on that McCarthy hasn’t adapted offensively... this is just a guess... but that could be bc of Rodgers. Him audibling out of plays, McCarthy knowing Rodgers will call him out in media for playcalling if it’s against ARs plan, etc. Like I said this is just a guess. But having a clean slate and a WB willing to learn my show more

Archived