So I want to Move...

Could've sworn we had a thread on this quite a while back, but I can't find it, so I thought I'd start a new one. I guess breaking down our situation would be the best place to start.

I live in the State of New York.

I'm a Journeyman Carpenter. (Unionized.) Currently a Business Major at an online school. I'm 25.

Wife is a Secretary for in an office for the state. Just finished her Poly Sci degree. She's 23.

We can't stand the cold and would like to be able to walk outside on new years and be in shorts, basically. And, upstate NY is just...extremely boring. I'd like Florida, Texas, or Arizona. Possibly California, but that's my last choice. She also agrees on this, except for Florida because it's "full of old people." Whatever. About a year ago I applied for a job down there that pays more than what I'm doing now in the West Palm Beach area. I got the job but the wife was reluctant because ''it's full of old people and a vacation spot."

Any advice on making a long distance move?

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Could've sworn we had a thread on this quite a while back, but I can't find it, so I thought I'd start a new one. I guess breaking down our situation would be the best place to start.

I live in the State of New York.

I'm a Journeyman Carpenter. (Unionized.) Currently a Business Major at an online school. I'm 25.

Wife is a Secretary for in an office for the state. Just finished her Poly Sci degree. She's 23.

We can't stand the cold and would like to be able to walk outside on new years and be in shorts, basically. And, upstate NY is just...extremely boring. I'd like Florida, Texas, or Arizona. Possibly California, but that's my last choice. She also agrees on this, except for Florida because it's "full of old people." Whatever. About a year ago I applied for a job down there that pays more than what I'm doing now in the West Palm Beach area. I got the job but the wife was reluctant because ''it's full of old people and a vacation spot."

I’ll just say that AZ isn’t that fun. My wife is from there and would never move back. I have family there and when I visit them it’s hsually just a week of me tempting alcohol poisoning. It’s so boring there.

I’ve been on vacation to Florida a few times and it seems pretty sweet. Texas I’ve been to a handful of times, no complaints

@ET80 knows how I feel about the women of Houston. But that might not be a big selling point for your wife lol 

Just now, Mega Ron said:

I'll give you the money thing but isn't most of America on fire most of the time?

Well, no.  I've personally never heard of a wildfire east of the Rockies, but i suppose it's possible and will become more prevalent over the next 50 years.  We just have different problems in the midwest (tornadoes, damaging winds, hail, etc).

17 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Don't take your stuff.  For an out-of-area move, selling your crap and buying it new is usually more economical.  Probably not exactly the advice you were seeking, but maybe useful nonetheless.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Well, no.  I've personally never heard of a wildfire east of the Rockies, but i suppose it's possible and will become more prevalent over the next 50 years.  We just have different problems in the midwest (tornadoes, damaging winds, hail, etc).

I kinda meant that anywhere you go there are the issues that might as well be wildfires.

If the weather doesn't get you then then nature or the people will.

Either way I'd live in Santa Barbara.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Don't take your stuff.  For an out-of-area move, selling your crap and buying it new is usually more economical.  Probably not exactly the advice you were seeking, but maybe useful nonetheless.

Good advice tbh.

Unless it’s a high quality or heirloom piece, sell it and buy new when you get there.

Significantly less work, probably a wash cost wise and you get to decorate your new place from scratch.

1 minute ago, Mega Ron said:

and OP you are 25 and your wife is 23. Go and enjoy yourselves. 

Avoid tying yourselves down if you don't have to.

More good advice.

Rent, don’t buy until you’re sure that’s where you want to live.

Move around a bit if you can.  Stay a year or two somewhere and then find somewhere else to live that’s different from where you are. Spend some time in the PNW, SW, Rockies, Cali, etc.  

That’s what I wish I’d have done looking back on things.

17 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Dome, I have 2 siblings that live in Texas, one in Cedar Park, just north of Austin, and another one in League City. That's another selling point for Texas. But I'm a big beach and fishing guy too so Florida is very appealing.

Houston makes sense then. About an hour drive to the piers out in Galveston for fishing, and extra 20-30 minutes to the beaches at South Padre Island.

Houston also has a very low cost of living for a big city, mostly because everyone lives in the suburbs (Sugar Land, The Woodlands, etc). 

Archived