So I want to Move...

8 hours ago, KOTN-93 said:

Everything?

18 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

California is a craphole, smart to have them last. Arizona and Texas are nice. Either one would be a good spot.

This is entirely BS btw.

40 million people and some of the highest real estate prices in the country aren’t things because it’s terrible.

Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite, Redwood, Channel Islands, Lassen, Pinnacles, Rubicon Trail, Lake Tahoe, Big Bear, Joshua Tree, San Diego, La Jolla, the entire PCH, wine country, San Fran, etc list is endless.

Some folks hate the politics of the state and want to believe it sucks.  I assure you it most certainly doesn’t.

FWIW, I’m not a California resident, but I’ve visited and there a lot of great things about the state.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is entirely BS btw.

40 million people and some of the highest real estate prices in the country aren’t things because it’s terrible.

Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite, Redwood, Channel Islands, Lassen, Pinnacles, Rubicon Trail, Lake Tahoe, Big Bear, Joshua Tree, San Diego, La Jolla, the entire PCH, wine country, San Fran, etc list is endless.

Some folks hate the politics of the state and want to believe it sucks.  I assure you it most certainly doesn’t.

FWIW, I’m not a California resident, but I’ve visited and there a lot of great things about the state.

California isn't a bad state, but having a brother in law that lives there (near San Francisco) and having lived in MD my entire life, I can easily say I'd take the cost of living and ease of getting around in Maryland over Cali.

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I guess if a high price of living and high taxes are your thing, sure.  Look, every state has it's own strengths and weaknesses but based on the OP, money isn't exactly flowing out.  Their money is going to go significantly further with Florida or Texas than California.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I guess if a high price of living and high taxes are your thing, sure.  Look, every state has it's own strengths and weaknesses but based on the OP, money isn't exactly flowing out.  Their money is going to go significantly further with Florida or Texas than California.

But they are kids on their way in the world.

They can make things happen anywhere.

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

California isn't a bad state, but having a brother in law that lives there (near San Francisco) and having lived in MD my entire life, I can easily say I'd take the cost of living and ease of getting around in Maryland over Cali.

You’re pointing out the most expensive place in the state though, second most expensive place in the country other than NYC. Just as you can find cheaper places in Maryland than Bethesda, there are cheaper places than SF.

And the 5/405 in LA or 280/101 in San Fran are no worse imo than 95 along the east coast in my experience.   

If you want a small town with less traffic, California has those too.

I don’t say this to crap on Maryland or anywhere else, 68 in the NE part of Maryland is beautiful when the fall colors start to pop and the Inner Harbor is awesome, but CA has a LOT to offer.

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I guess if a high price of living and high taxes are your thing, sure.

Sometimes things are expensive sure.  But there’s also a list of things a mile long that are expensive but actually worth it. CA, imo, is one of those things.

Look, every state has it's own strengths and weaknesses but based on the OP, money isn't exactly flowing out.  Their money is going to go significantly further with Florida or Texas than California.

I’m not debating that it would, I’m saying that there’s more to consider when moving than bang for your buck in the real estate market/taxes, especially when you’re in your early 20’s and don’t need a ton of space for kids.

Besides, he’s in NY state now, if he moved to CA his combined sales and income tax would decrease by 1.7%.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/fun-facts/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-taxes/L6HPAVqSF

Look, I’m not saying he should or shouldn’t move anywhere.  I’ve been to all 3 states he mentioned and spent a decent bit of time in each of them.  They all have cool spots.  

What I’m saying is don’t dismiss Cali simply because some bros on interwebz want to paint it with a broad, relatively inaccurate brush.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sometimes things are expensive sure.  But there’s also a list of things a mile long that are expensive but actually worth it. CA, imo, is one of those things.

I’m not debating that it would, I’m saying that there’s more to consider when moving than bang for your buck in the real estate market/taxes, especially when you’re in your early 20’s and don’t need a ton of space for kids.

Besides, he’s in NY state now, if he moved to CA his combined sales and income tax would decrease by 1.7%.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/fun-facts/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-taxes/L6HPAVqSF

Look, I’m not saying he should or shouldn’t move anywhere.  I’ve been to all 3 states he mentioned and spent a decent bit of time in each of them.  They all have cool spots.  

What I’m saying is don’t dismiss Cali simply because some bros on interwebz want to paint it with a broad, relatively inaccurate brush.

Sometimes expensive?  The price of gasoline right now in Los Angeles is around $3.45/gallon.  Compare that to say Ft. Worth which is sitting $1.96 and that's a HUGE difference.  Figure you fill up once a week and let's say 12 gallons, that's a difference of nearly a thousand dollars a year.  Just randomly looking at Zillow, but there's a 2 bed, 2 bath house that is 880 square feet for $185k in Laguna Beach.  And I found a house in Euless (Suburb of Dallas/Ft. Worth) that is 4 bedrooms, 2 bath house that is 2040 square feet for $134k house.  So you're most likely getting a nicer, bigger house while paying less.  And on top of that, the cost to commute is significantly cheaper and it adds up real quick.

The entire sell of California is that it's great weather.  LIS, every state/city has it's own perks and weaknesses.  I've been to California, and I've lived there when I was younger.  I'll go visit it again, but I have ZERO desire to live there.  It's a fantastic place to visit, but in terms of looking things in a long-term perspective it's pretty much near the bottom of places I want to live.

Don't plan on buying. Not until we are more established. And I agree, the cost of living for a place like Texas vs California.

Ex- I have relatives that live in Leander, TX a 4 BR, 2 Bath house. Not sure of market value, but I'd be willing to bet it's 400,000 or more.

I have a sister who's married with 2 fur babies. 4 BR, 2 bath house. Cedar Park, TX. Just North of Austin. Paid $198,000 for the house. Also, Texas has no State Income Tax which is appealing.

Apartment Finder Website- Average Rent for a 1 BR Apartment is $1500-1600 a month in Temecula.

AF Website- Average Rent for a 1 BR in Leander, TX is $900 a month.

35 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Sometimes expensive?  The price of gasoline right now in Los Angeles is around $3.45/gallon.  Compare that to say Ft. Worth which is sitting $1.96 and that's a HUGE difference.  Figure you fill up once a week and let's say 12 gallons, that's a difference of nearly a thousand dollars a year.

A whole thousand?!?!? 

It’s $20 a week. That means more to some than others.  I haven’t checked the price of gas since ‘08.  Not bragging or anything, just don’t think gas is gonna make or break me.

That 20 bucks a week isn’t going to determine where I live.

Just randomly looking at Zillow, but there's a 2 bed, 2 bath house that is 880 square feet for $185k in Laguna Beach.  And I found a house in Euless (Suburb of Dallas/Ft. Worth) that is 4 bedrooms, 2 bath house that is 2040 square feet for $134k house.  So you're most likely getting a nicer, bigger house while paying less.  And on top of that, the cost to commute is significantly cheaper and it adds up real quick.

Random is correct, but you definitely get more square footage it TX. If that’s all that matters move to Indiana, you’ll get a nice size house.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/12/how-much-home-300k-will-buy-you-in-every-state.html

The entire sell of California is that it's great weather.

In part, yes.  Weather, beach, geographical appeal, etc.

LIS, every state/city has it's own perks and weaknesses.

Never debated that.

I've been to California, and I've lived there when I was younger.  I'll go visit it again, but I have ZERO desire to live there

The key here is “you”.  You have no desire to live there.  Others do (40 million actually).  I’m not debating that California is for everyone.  I’m saying that when people say “everything” is wrong with California, that’s incorrect and absurd.

It's a fantastic place to visit, but in terms of looking things in a long-term perspective it's pretty much near the bottom of places I want to live.

When did this become a debate about where you should live?

Just now, BullsandBroncos said:

Don't plan on buying. Not until we are more established. And I agree, the cost of living for a place like Texas vs California.

Ex- I have relatives that live in Leander, TX a 4 BR, 2 Bath house. Not sure of market value, but I'd be willing to bet it's 400,000 or more.

I have a sister who's married with 2 fur babies. 4 BR, 2 bath house. Cedar Park, TX. Just North of Austin. Paid $198,000 for the house. Also, Texas has no State Income Tax which is appealing.

Apartment Finder Website- Average Rent for a 1 BR Apartment is $1500-1600 a month in Temecula.

AF Website- Average Rent for a 1 BR in Leander, TX is $900 a month.

Never been to Leander, but I’ve been to Temecula and it’s gorgeous. 

Ive been to Austin though, and it’s one of a few cities in Tx I really liked. Awesome food and cool college town vibe. Liberal city, for whatever that’s worth to you.  It’s one of 2-3 cities I’d move to in TX personally.

If those are two you’re looking at, you won’t go wrong either way imo.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Never been to Leander, but I’ve been to Temecula and it’s gorgeous. 

Ive been to Austin though, and it’s one of a few cities in Tx I really liked. Awesome food and cool college town vibe. Liberal city, for whatever that’s worth to you.  It’s one of 2-3 cities I’d move to in TX personally.

If those are two you’re looking at, you won’t go wrong either way imo.

Temecula is a bit pricey. I won't get into politics, not that it matters to me, I'm moderate so I could care less about that. But it seems centralized in terms of fun things to do in the state.

Austin is gorgeous. I'd take either one. I'd also like to think that if I were to work the same job in Temecula that I would in Austin, the one in Temecula would probably have to pay considerably more to offset the cost of living.

2 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Temecula is a bit pricey. I won't get into politics, not that it matters to me, I'm moderate so I could care less about that. But it seems centralized in terms of fun things to do in the state.

Just figured I’d mention it because it does matter to some.

2 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Austin is gorgeous. I'd take either one. I'd also like to think that if I were to work the same job in Temecula that I would in Austin, the one in Temecula would probably have to pay considerably more to offset the cost of living.

Austin is cool as hell.  If that’s you’re front runner, you’re in good shape.

44 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A whole thousand?!?!? 

It’s $20 a week. That means more to some than others.  I haven’t checked the price of gas since ‘08.  Not bragging or anything, just don’t think gas is gonna make or break me.

That 20 bucks a week isn’t going to determine where I live.

It's absolutely a part of the equation for some.  Some can't afford to be spending $3.50+ per gallon.  Others can.  That's fine if that isn't something you're taking into consideration.

45 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Random is correct, but you definitely get more square footage it TX. If that’s all that matters move to Indiana, you’ll get a nice size house.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/12/how-much-home-300k-will-buy-you-in-every-state.html

Again, it's all part of the equation.

45 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The key here is “you”.  You have no desire to live there.  Others do (40 million actually).  I’m not debating that California is for everyone.  I’m saying that when people say “everything” is wrong with California, that’s incorrect and absurd.

...that goes without saying.  This is what we're discussing.  At the end of the day, the OP is the one making these decisions.  I'm putting my opinion out there.  If you're going to take someone's hyperbole as truth, I'm not sure what to tell you.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:46 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Dome, I have 2 siblings that live in Texas, one in Cedar Park, just north of Austin, and another one in League City. That's another selling point for Texas. But I'm a big beach and fishing guy too so Florida is very appealing.

I live in Cedar Park!

Dont move here, Im tired of you damn transplants screwing up my commute!

7ed781fdba45276602940a5596dfef68.gif

Truthfully, the weather is tame from Late September through mid-April. Its hot is balls from may through August. 

The job market is good.

The entertainment scene is amazing.

Theres fishing all over and a few big lakes. 

Its terrible dont move here.

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Houston makes sense then. About an hour drive to the piers out in Galveston for fishing, and extra 20-30 minutes to the beaches at South Padre Island.

Houston also has a very low cost of living for a big city, mostly because everyone lives in the suburbs (Sugar Land, The Woodlands, etc). 

I agree. Move to Houston, stay out of Austin. 

Archived