So I want to Move...

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not a huge Sarasota/Bradenton guy. If I were moving back (without family considerations), I'd probably lean towards St. Pete. Miami is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

That whole stretch from St Pete Beach to Clearwater Beach is pretty nice tbh

Shorts in the winter ? Boy do I have a spot for you ...

b5830d_6d2de26a3b73405eace4b846d680da09~

The beauty of San Diego is that the average high temp in January differs from the average high temp in July by only 15 degrees. One set of clothes
Perfect weather year round is certainly awesome, but I can also go skiing 3 hours away in 10,000 ft mountains. I'm 2 hours from the desert, perfect for watching meteor showers . We go camping in Yosemite/Sequoia 9 months of the year. Beaches are fantastic too, but the water isn't as warm as in Florida

Also: no mosquitoes, an under-appreciated benefit when you're wearing shorts / T-shirt year round.

California is a craphole ? maybe ... if you're a dumbass.

I think the best advice above was to not tie yourself down to anything just yet, but explore the US and see what fits your life the best. Plenty of spots that are warmer than NY and they each have their charms and challenges.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:44 PM, Shanedorf said:

Shorts in the winter ? Boy do I have a spot for you ...

b5830d_6d2de26a3b73405eace4b846d680da09~

The beauty of San Diego is that the average high temp in January differs from the average high temp in July by only 15 degrees. One set of clothes
Perfect weather year round is certainly awesome, but I can also go skiing 3 hours away in 10,000 ft mountains. I'm 2 hours from the desert, perfect for watching meteor showers . We go camping in Yosemite/Sequoia 9 months of the year. Beaches are fantastic too, but the water isn't as warm as in Florida

Also: no mosquitoes, an under-appreciated benefit when you're wearing shorts / T-shirt year round.

California is a craphole ? maybe ... if you're a dumbass.

I think the best advice above was to not tie yourself down to anything just yet, but explore the US and see what fits your life the best. Plenty of spots that are warmer than NY and they each have their charms and challenges.

Yeah and don’t forget to leave out the 1M houses and 5000 a month rent. You can’t live in California unless you and your spouse are making over a 100k each. And in Southern Cali, that’s not even enough. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Fantastic argument.

That wasn’t the argument, just the colorful summation.

On 12/21/2018 at 5:44 PM, Shanedorf said:

This is the argument I believe.

22 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'd guess you'd want Northern Florida. Not a terribly hot like southern Florida and still getting majority of the warmth. Beaches are better from my experience also

It's just as hot, yet more humid because it's inland so it's actually more uncomfortable without that ocean breeze. It does get a bit colder as well, but I could probably count the annual days below 32 degrees on one hand.

I am looking to move to Cali (LA) within the next year or so.  I am trying to get into Netflix.  That would be a dream.  I never thought I would ever want to live in Cali, but I've been there multiple times now, and I hate leaving every time.  It was love at first sight for me.

San Diego would be nice, too.

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, BayRaider said:

Yeah and don’t forget to leave out the 1M houses and 5000 a month rent. You can’t live in California unless you and your spouse are making over a 100k each. And in Southern Cali, that’s not even enough. 

This. I make 70k and the woman makes 61k and I doubt we could afford a place in San Diego, as lovely as it would be.

23 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

This. I make 70k and the woman makes 61k and I doubt we could afford a place in San Diego, as lovely as it would be.

Basically Bay Area and LA you need to make 175k each and forget about ever owning a house without being house poor. San Diego 125k should do the trick. However you can live comfortable in the Central Valley (Sacramento down to Bakersfield) making 60k each which is where I live. Weather isn’t as nice as the Bay, LA, or San Diego, over 110 during the summer and under 50 during winter, but you are literally two hours away from everything in Sacramento and Sacs a cool town. Two hours from Tahoe, the Bay, and Yosemite. And five hours from LA. 

Archived