BDL 2018 Week 14 - Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Cuba Smugglers

ny92mike

Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Cuba Smugglers  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Berlin Blitzkrieg
    • Cuba Smugglers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/2018 at 05:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 14

Match:  Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Cuba Smugglers

Away Owner:  @Ragnarok

Home Owner:  @MD4L

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Berlin Blitzkrieg

Offense

QB - Case Keenum
RB - Lamar Miller
Slot - Tyreek Hill
WR - Kenny Golladay
WR - Chris Godwin
TE - Trey Burton
LT - Eric Fisher
LG - Greg Van Roten
C - Corey Linsley
RG - Gabe Jackson
RT - Taylor Moton

RB - Corey Clement
WR - MVS
WR - Nelson Agholor
TE - Adam Shaheen
OT - Kolton Miller
OG - Justin Pugh

Defense

DE - Justin Houston
DT - Brandon Williams
DT - Da’Shawn Hand
DE - Demarcus Lawrence
LB - Tremaine Edmunds
LB - Rashaan Evans
CB - Gareon Conley
CB - Robert Alford
NB - Mike Hilton
S - Haha Clinton-Dix
S - Damontae Kazee

DE - Markus Golden
DE - Deatrich Wise
DE - Reggie Gilbert
INT - Davon Godchaux
INT - Darius Philon
LB - Kiko Alonso
S - Rashaan Gaulden

Cuba Smugglers

QB: Kirk Cousins 

RB: Dalvin Cook

WR: Julio Jones

WR: Donte Moncrief

WR: Chester Rogers 

TE: Ian Thomas

LT: Anthony Castonzo

LG: Spencer Long

C: John Sullivan

RG: David DeCastro

RT: Rob Havenstein 

WR: Randall Cobb

RB: Jaylen Samuels

RB: Frank Gore

TE: Rhett Ellison 

WR: Justin Watson 

RB: Rex Burkhead 

OL: Demar Dotson

QB: DeShaun Watson

Edge: Jerry Hughes 

NT: Marcell Dareus 

DT: Fletcher Cox 

DE: Calais Campbell 

WLB: Thomas Davis 

MLB: Anthony Walker Jr.

RCB: Kenny Moore

FS: LaMarcus Joyner 

SS: Derwin James Jr.

NCB: Bryce Callahan 

LCB: Richard Sherman 

Edge/ILB: Kyle Van Noy

DE: Carl Nassib

SS: Ronnie Harrison

DT: Lawrence Guy

RCB: Darqueze Dennard 

MLB: Elandon Roberts

NCB: Anthony Brown

DT: Daniel Ross 

Berlin Blitzkrieg

If we lose, we will be drafting 3rd overall.  If we win, we will likely be drafting 5th.  Long term, we would be better off losing…but momma didn’t raise no b*tch.

Offense
3 WR - Our main set for the game, we are going to use Godwin as a starter this week as he has simply been more productive.  He and Golladay will start outside.  Look for us to start with some quicker routes like screens, slants, and curls to the outside to move the chains and to force their outside CBs to play up.  Once they move up to stop these routes, we will let our WRs run some deeper routes to beat them over the top.  After we have them off balance, we will mix up our routes to keep them guessing.  Look for a number of crossing routes with at least one of these these outside WRs so they can use their size across the middle.

Tyreek plays the slot and will be used in every way possible.  We will use him for jet sweeps, WR screens, quick routes, and deep shots.  Look for us to start with more underneath routes as we expect the safety on him to play deeper at first.  We will air it out to him regardless, but want to simply get the ball into his hands and see what he can do.

Burton will end up split out frequently.  We will use him to block for our quicker WR routes and to get another body out of the box.  Look for him to play the role of check down option as we will have him mirror Keenum’s movements to an easy short completion.

We will run frequently from this formation.  With the extra body out of the box, we should be able to run against a 6 man box which we think we will have success against.  Lamar will get most of the carries while Clement will play more on 3rd down as a check down option and pass blocker.

4 WR - We will bring in MVS or Agholor for Burton to force a 4th CB onto the field.  We will use this 4th WR to lighten the box and have them run any number of routes to stress the Cuba defense.

2 TE - We will have Shaheen come in for Godwin while Tyreek and Golladay play outside.  We will use Shaheen as an extra blocker and for some jump ball opportunities.  If they put 8 in the box, we will usually split Burton out to determine coverage and pass.  If there are 7 in the box, we will run.

Defense

Alford gets Julio with Kazee sitting about 15 yards over the top to help on deep passes to his side.  Hilton takes their slot WR.  If Julio plays the slot, Alford plays outside and Hilton stays in the slot with Kazee sitting over the top as Kazee can help both WRs to that side in this situation.  Conley takes whoever they put out as a 2nd WR.  Haha takes their TE in man coverage and plays close to the line to help in the run game.

Tremaine and Rashaan watch the backfield.  One will have Dalvin in coverage while the other sits in a middle zone and spies Watson.  They’ll be used to shut down the run and keep the read option from being successful.

Cuba Smugglers

Motivation:

It’s been a great season in many lenses except the W/L. Things will improve in the future, I promise.

Offense:

Kirk Cousins might have some doubters but I’m not one of them. He’s going to get a full entree of reps as his arm is our best way of generating yardage. We think Dalvin Cook will be involved quite a bit as he’s shown good work on film as a runner. We incorporate him on a couple screens but his diet mostly consists of carries where his ability to get yardage on one cut has shown frequently this year. We’ve got some guys in the backfield we want to get involved. Whereas Gore will be Cook’s backup, we think Jaylen Samuels deserves a few touches. Personally we think he’s going to be a high level receiver at the position and will not hesitate utilizing his skill set. Berlin has two youthful but talented LBs and we look forward to giving Samuels some chances to succeed. 

Our receivers are led by the uncoverable Julio. Opposition has tried covering him in many different ways but a safety with the top CB has been the usual move. In anticipation of this we like moving him around. Amongst the many reasons, he needs to be accounted for regularly and we can likely open a mismatch or two based on coverages he’ll face. We’ve endured some issues at WR so our second guy Moncrief has an opportunity to replicate his heavy target share. He won’t out number Julio but he’ll be involved. Ian Thomas is getting the call as a starter and we’re huge fans of his ability. His strongest asset this year has been pass protection and as the pistol motion man he’ll get some sets where he serves as the second line of protection behind our LG/C. We’ve accounted for about 30 attempts (12 Julio, 5 Moncrief, 5 Samuels, 3 Cook, 3 Thomas). The other guys Watson, Rogers, and Cobb combine for 12 targets at most.

Berlin’s strength lies within their defensive line. The pivotal matchup focuses on Havenstein against DeMarcus Lawrence. Fortunately DeCastro can help in that area if there’s issues. Thomas will chip occasionally so we’ve got a few bits of help for the right side. Elsewhere the interior line faces some challenges but Cousins weapons and willingness to throw the ball quickly are the greatest compromises if we begin dealing with a heavy pass rush.

TLDR: Regular Cuba ball.

Defense:

Berlin owns two of the streaker passers and both guys happen to be playing well. Winston has been playing a bit better but Keenum is the starter in recent weeks. Since they’ve likely given up on the latter we look forward to seeing Keenum. In any event the main guy to cover is Tyreek Hill. Berlin uses him as a slot but truthfully he will play everywhere. The only way to contain him is accounting for him on every play and being aware of him even when he doesn’t touch the ball as Berlin can easily go back to a matchup they like. We rarely shadow so safety help is imperative. Although Lamar Miller has started giving Berlin a workhorse our front 6/7 are going to keep tabs on him. Derwin James will occasionally be the 7th man, but he will have some of the high man responsibility in helping to defend against Hill. Joyner will share that role and we will let the opposing CB play 10-15 yards off on passing downs if Hill is their assignment on the boundary. Sherman excels at this role but if Kenny Moore has to face him, his help will give us two guys playing far off to match Hill. Berlin has other weapons but they should be handled without extensive and specific coverage methods. We’ll play mostly cover 3 and man with some cover 2/4 to not be overly obvious with what we’re trying to do.

TLDR: Bend Don’t Break

QB1 20/33 208 yards 6.3 YPA 1 TD 0 INTs

QB2 24/42 186 yards 4.4 YPA 1 TD 0 INTs

I know which I'd prefer.  4.4 YPA.  It's all about the symmetry in having that 4 on either side of the decimal.  Speaking of symmetry...24/42.  Look at that.  Mirror images.  You can't ask for more than that.

First of kudos to both for showing up this week compared to other losing teams.

I think the idea of running the ball with Burton often split out in a 3WR sets puts a lot of pressure on Berlin OL and I like Cuba DL in this one. Which makes Berlin a bit one dimensional. And even on that dimension I don't love them. I like Cuba safeties enough to slow down Tyreek and the rest of the weapons are well handled. On the other side I am not sold on Cook yet and Berlin D is tough. I think Julio allows Cuba to move the ball a bit and a couple of role players could have success here. Gore as a runner, Samuels out of the backfield. Enough to tip the game in Cuba's favour.

Cuba 17-13 in a close defensive game

Some good symmetry in this game. I like both pass rushes to cause problems for the other team, without a doubt. I also think both main pass catchers will absolutely go off despite the opposing secondaries extra attention. I think the difference comes down to who is going to make a play when the main man is bottled up? I think Berlin can do that, barely. 

Archived