Reggie McKenzie out as GM

Silver&Black88

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Reggie has been a good GM with exception to trade value and draft picks. It's almost like he gets too cute at times. He's probably been better than most at first round picks, but outside of the first round, and I'm not sure what metrics he's looking at, but he continually passes up generally known great football players for these more unknown small school players. That's the biggest issue I have, that and trade value. I'd imagine working in tandem with Gruden that goes away, so I don't see the dire need to get rid of him.

I think this is Gruden trying to get credit if the team performs well. He doesn’t want people to say it was someone else who picked those players. Also if he gets an unknown at GM he can use them as a scapegoat if things go sideways just like he’s doing now. 

we should be a pretty ideal spot for a GM now though. assuming we find one who likes Carr and Gruden.
Coach of the future - check

QB of the future - check

5 first round picks in two years - check.

moving to a state with no state tax, check. 

Just need to make sure the GM is happy with Carr IMO. Any GM who drafts a QB with our first pick will lose my trust immediately .

4 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

honestly, i think RMs down fall was his hiring of coaches. Never found a good one, then would tailor the drafts to what they wanted (which i understand) but when you change schemes all the time, your scheme specific players arent going to last. 

He never got a real choice. Dennis Allen doesn't count because no quality coach was going to join us. JDR was Mark Davis' guy. So was Gruden. If anything the coaches play to Reggie's case imo. My biggest thing with him is the kind of prospects he would always pick. He got way too cute with draft picks regardless of the coach

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

I'm glad we are all taking this chance to rehash all the same stuff that is said anytime there is any inkling of  movement in the front office but this report is speculation at best, a hit piece by outsiders at worst. Nothing to see here.

You were saying. 

24 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

He never got a real choice. Dennis Allen doesn't count because no quality coach was going to join us. JDR was Mark Davis' guy. So was Gruden. If anything the coaches play to Reggie's case imo. My biggest thing with him is the kind of prospects he would always pick. He got way too cute with draft picks regardless of the coach

yea fair enough.
but why he allowed KNJ to stay around was weird, never providing a consistent OC for carr etc. Which i kow is on the HC too, but the GM has to take some responsibility there. 

RM will find another job somewhere and be fine. His 2nd round picks, he just needs someone to tell him, hey lets not try and be smarter than everyone else, lets just take the top rated guy lol

2 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

McKenzie was a great cap manager. Majority of his success came in one draft and signing Hudson, KO and Penn to put together a competitive team.

Took some serious risks on raw upside projects and they didnt pay off.

Conley appears to be a hit as well for the heat he got for passing on Foster. Signing Jared Cook as well but that darn 2nd round track record was bad 

Archived