Reggie McKenzie out as GM

Silver&Black88

The worst thing about Reggie was trade compensation, every time we made a deal it would be hilariouslsly one sided as if he didn't know how to negotiate with other GMs. I don't think we ever won a trade when it came to initial value. I don't blame him for the Cooper or Mack trade just all the other terrible trades.

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

He never got a real choice. Dennis Allen doesn't count because no quality coach was going to join us. JDR was Mark Davis' guy. So was Gruden. If anything the coaches play to Reggie's case imo. My biggest thing with him is the kind of prospects he would always pick. He got way too cute with draft picks regardless of the coach

This is accurate. Just look the positions he took and who was the better options:

CB - Hayden (coming off life threatening injury over Trufant/Rhodes 

DE - Edwards Jr (seen as lazy, out of shape) over Preston Smith

S - Joseph (undersized, coming off a knee) over Neal a proven SEC talent with size and speed

Dline - Ward (raw, limited football) over next two DE prospects taken Nassib or Ngakoue

9 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

yea fair enough.
but why he allowed KNJ to stay around was weird, never providing a consistent OC for carr etc. Which i kow is on the HC too, but the GM has to take some responsibility there. 

RM will find another job somewhere and be fine. His 2nd round picks, he just needs someone to tell him, hey lets not try and be smarter than everyone else, lets just take the top rated guy lol

I think he let his HC control the coaching staff. As any GM or Owner worth their salt would. Its hard because if you overrule a head coach on his staff, that creates drama and friction. Undue stress is a big no no. I think you are underlying a lot of our recent issues though and agree with most of them. McKenzie wasn't perfect but I hate the way he is and will continue to be scapegoated. They make it out like Gruden inherited a crappy roster but he's the one who gutted it and signed bad players. Look how our castoffs are doing elsewhere. To be fair the personnel wasn't perfect but Gruden is blatantly finding an excuse to gut the roster as he sees fit and force Reggie out the door.

Sorry for rambling, just frustrated

17 hours ago, Chali21 said:

This. 

The DE he drafted is helping his team to the playoffs. 

The WR he took just put over 200 yards and 2tds. 

Joesph and Conely look like they might be rounding into form. 

By all accounts as well he wanted to take Derwin James over Miller. 

I wont defend his second round picks because everyone but Carr has been a bust. 

After the second it’s a total crapshoot. 

Reggie has been a good GM, he just has had good coaching to take these player to the next level. Man i wish they would have gotten someone else as HC. 

I think you’re forgetting he hired the coaches.

Reggie had one playoff appearance in seven years.  He should be fired.

30 minutes ago, Nodisrespect said:

It's well documented that Mark Davis hired JDR and Gruden.

This is from Walter football.com 

Raiders fire GM Reggie McKenzie: A Grade 
Reggie McKenzie was not making decisions anymore. Jon Gruden traded away most of McKenzie's assets, so there was no reason to keep McKenzie around. Firing him was the correct move. 

McKenzie did some good things as the Raiders' general manager, but he made many more mistakes. He's praised by media people who have an inexplicable hatred of Jon Gruden, as those people point out the picks of Khalil Mack, Derek Carr and Amari Cooper, even though those three prospects fell into McKenzie's lap. Even still, Carr has mostly been a disappointment, while Cooper was a turd in Oakland, as he dropped countless passes and gave up on routes. He's looking good with the Cowboys right now, but he'll quit on them eventually as well. 

As for McKenzie's gaffes, he hired Dennis Allen, and he also had some major whiffs in the early rounds of the draft. Here are his bust picks from the first and second rounds: D.J. Hayden, Menelik Watson, Mario Edwards, Jihad Ward and Obi Melifonwu. Those are five busts out of 10 first- and second-round picks, which is a high number. Meanwhile, very few late-round picks were hits. 

Here's a list of McKenzie's Day 3 selections who have panned out: 

Jack Crawford 
Latavius Murray 

That's it. That's the list. 

McKenzie was largely a failure of a general manager, and the Raiders are in much better hands with Gruden, who has them set up extremely well for the future with tons of draft picks at his disposal. Meanwhile, some of Gruden's third-day picks are already contributing (Maurice Hurst, Marcell Ateman.) Perhaps media members would acknowledge this if they didn't hate Gruden, but I'm sure you'll hear people on TV and in print complaining about how the Raiders wronged McKenzie even though he did a poor job for the most part.

23 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

This is from Walter football.com 

Raiders fire GM Reggie McKenzie: A Grade 
Reggie McKenzie was not making decisions anymore. Jon Gruden traded away most of McKenzie's assets, so there was no reason to keep McKenzie around. Firing him was the correct move. 

McKenzie did some good things as the Raiders' general manager, but he made many more mistakes. He's praised by media people who have an inexplicable hatred of Jon Gruden, as those people point out the picks of Khalil Mack, Derek Carr and Amari Cooper, even though those three prospects fell into McKenzie's lap. Even still, Carr has mostly been a disappointment, while Cooper was a turd in Oakland, as he dropped countless passes and gave up on routes. He's looking good with the Cowboys right now, but he'll quit on them eventually as well. 

As for McKenzie's gaffes, he hired Dennis Allen, and he also had some major whiffs in the early rounds of the draft. Here are his bust picks from the first and second rounds: D.J. Hayden, Menelik Watson, Mario Edwards, Jihad Ward and Obi Melifonwu. Those are five busts out of 10 first- and second-round picks, which is a high number. Meanwhile, very few late-round picks were hits. 

Here's a list of McKenzie's Day 3 selections who have panned out: 

Jack Crawford 
Latavius Murray 

That's it. That's the list. 

McKenzie was largely a failure of a general manager, and the Raiders are in much better hands with Gruden, who has them set up extremely well for the future with tons of draft picks at his disposal. Meanwhile, some of Gruden's third-day picks are already contributing (Maurice Hurst, Marcell Ateman.) Perhaps media members would acknowledge this if they didn't hate Gruden, but I'm sure you'll hear people on TV and in print complaining about how the Raiders wronged McKenzie even though he did a poor job for the most part.

Maurice hurst didn’t fall in Jon grudens Lap ?. Article forgot TJ Carrie fwiw 

Walter Football is like the blog/website version of Colin Cowherd. Makes a lot of strongly-opinionated "impact" statements that he may or may not actually believe in, to attract attention to his site. Much of what he says is stretching the truth to fit his own agenda. But fair play to the guy for making a living from basically running a football blog.

I think his narrative of people sticking up for McKenzie because they hate Gruden is off, but don't particularly disagree with his evaluation of McKenzie's job as a GM.

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I think he let his HC control the coaching staff. As any GM or Owner worth their salt would. Its hard because if you overrule a head coach on his staff, that create drama and friction. Undue stress is a big no no. I think you are underlying a lot of our recent issues though and agree with most of them. McKenzie wasn't perfect but I hate the way he is and will continue to be scapegoated. They make it out like Gruden inherited a crappy roster but he's the one who gutted it and signed bad players. Look how our castoffs are doing elsewhere. Too be fair the personnel wasn't perfect but Gruden is blatantly finding an excuse to gut the roster as he sees fit and force Reggie out the door.

Sorry for rambling, just frustrated

I agree with this very much. I've been one of Reggie's biggest supporters here and vehemently disagree with the notion that he's been a terrible drafter. He hasn't been the greatest for sure and has a lot of 2nd round misses but he also put in place a the two most important pieces of the puzzle plus a few other top notch players - Franchise QB, All Pro pass rusher, what appears to be a shut down CB in Conley, a #1 WR in Cooper plus lot's of value late round picks. He purged the roster he inherited of overblown salary, complete disfunction and totally restructured our finances to streamline us into the modern age. In FA he put together an elite interior OL, added guys like Penn, Cook, Irvin, Lynch and Crabtree and turned around what had for years been the worst franchise in all football to be a 12-4 playoff bound team with huge aspirations. He gave us all hope and excitement again after so long in the wilderness.

I'll be forever grateful to big Reggie and wish him the very best in his next venture.

That said, I'm very nervous about handing all the nuclear codes and the big red key to Gruden moving forward.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/10/raiders-gm-firing-reggie-mckenzie-jon-gruden?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb

3. As for what to look for in Oakland’s next GM, it sounds like the team will seek someone with the chops to push back on Gruden. That indicates previous GM experience would be a plus for candidates.

Archived