RYAN TANNEHILL appreciation thread

TheKillerNacho

After he played through the entire half in obvious pain, we need this. Don't even care how the rest of the season ends. This man is a hero. So is Kenyan Drake, obviously, but how can you not appreciate Tannehill's passion this game? This man isn't soft. This man may not be the QB of our future. But he's the QB of our present and I'm so glad he's out there. Hope the injury isn't serious.

He played tough.........If he was making 8-10 Mil a year I wouldn’t have much issue with him going forward.  I’m still extremely frustrated with his inability to avoid the rush and throw the ball away, but today I didn’t hold it against him.  His mobility was obviously affected by the ankle injury.  When he isn’t making mistakes against the pass rush, his efficiency is very impressive.  He deserves a lot of credit for this win.

6 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

He played tough.........If he was making 8-10 Mil a year I wouldn’t have much issue with him going forward.

lol what??

There is literally not a single non-rookie starting QB averaging that little money.

Josh McCown is making $10 million.

Tyrod Taylor is making $15.5 million.

Blake Bortles is making $18 million.

Tannehill's stats on the season:

5 wins, 3 losses

67% completion, 8.0 YPA, 16 TDs, 6 INTs, 105.7 passer rating

If he hits the market in 2019 (he won't) because Miami doesn't want to pay him, somebody else will, and the replacements in the draft and free agency are lackluster.

Top QB's in the NFL for 2018 (by rating)

1. Brees - 120.8

2. Wilson - 115.5

3. Mahomes - 115.2

4. Rivers - 114.5

5. Ryan - 108.3

6. Tannehill - 105.7

What else is there to say? We got a franchise QB in RT#17. He shredded the Pats yesterday. We've always had a franchise QB, it's QB injuries you can't predict. Stay healthy, #17! 

14 hours ago, cddolphin said:

lol what??

There is literally not a single non-rookie starting QB averaging that little money.

Josh McCown is making $10 million.

Tyrod Taylor is making $15.5 million.

Blake Bortles is making $18 million.

Tannehill's stats on the season:

5 wins, 3 losses

67% completion, 8.0 YPA, 16 TDs, 6 INTs, 105.7 passer rating

If he hits the market in 2019 (he won't) because Miami doesn't want to pay him, somebody else will, and the replacements in the draft and free agency are lackluster.

Ya, but does anyone believe Tyrod will keep that $15 mil a year salary going forward?  It’s not looking good.  Same can be said for McCown and Bortles.

I think Tannehill is a capable QB overall, but despite how good most of his stats look his pocket presence is absurdly atrocious.  He is still looking slow on going through his progressions and just seems incapable of throwing the ball away.  I don’t understand it...........Gase has to be pulling his hair out behind closed doors.

I agree that if he hits the market he will get overpaid, but I also agree that he won’t hit the market.

With the GM in Oakland getting canned I’m certain that Derek Carr is next on Gruden’s lost to go, and I think he could be had for a second rounder.........he could be an upgrade over Tannehill but we won’t find out because we couldn’t afford them both.

Bridgewater is a much more likely candidate that will likely be a free agent so we wouldn’t need to give up a draft pick and depending on his other offers, he could be that $8-$10 mil a year guy.  He’s certainly better than Osweiler and could be competitive with Tannehill like efficiency but with improved pocket presence.  Just depends on price IMO.

I still believe we have to find our QB for 2020 this off season.  Tannehill has been a trooper, but he’s still limited in some basic areas and his injuries are probably going to keep racking up considering how many shots he’s taken due to poor OLine play as well as his absent pocket presence.

Edited by Swampbilly

4 hours ago, FinSting said:

Top QB's in the NFL for 2018 (by rating)

1. Brees - 120.8

2. Wilson - 115.5

3. Mahomes - 115.2

4. Rivers - 114.5

5. Ryan - 108.3

6. Tannehill - 105.7

What else is there to say? We got a franchise QB in RT#17. He shredded the Pats yesterday. We've always had a franchise QB, it's QB injuries you can't predict. Stay healthy, #17! 

Passer Rating isn’t the best QB stat IMO.  According to rating Ryan Fitzpatrick is 15 spots higher than Jameis Winston, but Winston is clearly the starter.  Russell Wilson is a good QB but he isn’t having a better season than Patrick Mahomes like the rating suggests.  Tannehill’s QBR yesterday was 72.9, pretty good, but against Cincinnati it was 16.6 and against NE earlier this year it was a horrible 3.5.  I could go on and on about the faults of QBR, but truth is I don’t totally discredit QBR.  It’s a useful stat, but I wouldn’t use it to declare a QB as a franchise QB.  

Edited by Swampbilly

3 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

QBR isn’t the best QB stat IMO.  According to QBR Ryan Fitzpatrick is 15 spots higher than Jameis Winston, but Winston is clearly the starter.  Russell Wilson is a good QB but he isn’t having a better season than Patrick Mahomes like the QBR suggests.  Tannehill’s QBR yesterday was 72.9, pretty good, but against Cincinnati it was 16.6 and against NE earlier this year it was a horrible 3.5.  I could go on and on about the faults of QBR, but truth is I don’t totally discredit QBR.  It’s a useful stat, but I wouldn’t use it to declare a QB as a franchise QB.  

The QB rating is heavily weighted with "don't throw INT's and you'll look pretty good." I can live with low INT's to inflate the rating....but only if the QB can also make the longer throws down the field too. Tannehill can do that. He's a tough QB, man he's been battered like a pinball in his career behind some turble O-lines. 

7 minutes ago, FinSting said:

The QB rating is heavily weighted with "don't throw INT's and you'll look pretty good." I can live with low INT's to inflate the rating....but only if the QB can also make the longer throws down the field too. Tannehill can do that. He's a tough QB, man he's been battered like a pinball in his career behind some turble O-lines. 

I agree he is tough and he has certainly been battered behind poor OLines.  I know I sound like a RT hater, I’m not, I’m pulling for him every play.  I just feel like we have to keep searching for an upgrade.......and hopefully one on a rookie contract.

Tannehill is at his best when we can keep him efficient by low volume passing.  He just isn’t the guy you want to put the game on his back going down the stretch.  We can win with Tannehill, but we just have to keep him efficient and not ask too much of him or he makes goofy mistakes......see the Cinci game.

Edited by Swampbilly

6 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Bridgewater is a much more likely candidate that will likely be a free agent so we wouldn’t need to give up a draft pick and depending on his other offers, he could be that $8-$10 mil a year guy.

Double that for Bridgewater, and come back to this thread when it happens.

Tannehill right now is the 4th-cheapest non-rookie QB in terms of average salary.

4th-cheapest.

I think a big problem with the way Tannehill is viewed is not understanding the context around his contract.

I also strongly disagree that Carr is better than Tannehill, and again he'd require compensation (he would NEVER be cut instead of traded). Carr's average annual compensation is also about $7m more than Tannehill's. Sure he'd be re-structured as part of a trade, but he's still clearing $20m+ easily. 

It's just how QBs are getting paid these days.

I do think competition should be added via the draft, or assets should be loaded up for a big trade in the 2020 class.

It really doesn't mater what we think. The bottom line is wins a losses. All the rest doesn't matter. You can tell me how crappy Trent Dilfer was, but I can't see what you are saying because of the glare of his super bowl ring. That's the ultimate measure. I have a feeling that Ross is going to blow up the team this offseason. He has been eerily quite this year. I don't think that is a good sign. I am going to post another thread on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was always a Tannehill "hope he does, I think he will" supporter, but the bottom line is he is what he is, a mid range NFL QB that is injury prone for what ever reason. I hope the guy does well and I think he will have some good seasons but he will never be a  Championship caliber NFL QB. His main troubles are pocket presence and quick decision making under pressure and that is the main difference in good QB,s and great ones at the top level in the NFL. 

Unfortunately there are no obvious sure replacements at the moment but you never know who that next great one is going to be but I hope Miami is the one that finds him. 

Feel bad for him, RT took so many hard hits when the team sucked his first few seasons, ridiculous high number of sacks. Yet he's durable and played some good football at times (not always).  

Then when the team didn't suck and got competitive, he got hurt three different times which ruined three seasons in a row, and the RT experience was kaput. Next phase for him will be somewhere else.