Report: Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie Not Returning for 2019 Season

DigInBoys

3 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I don't think McKenzie was too bad (Mack, Cooper, Carr was a hell of a trio) but mismanging FA's and hiring medicore coaches (I forgot who the 1st guy was but he was awful)Jack Del Rio was a medicore re-tread that never worked out for his side of the ball.

Gruden gets all of the power whereas McKenzie will likely go back to GB, sucks for McKenzie he more or less got shafted and Gruden blew up the roster but that's his own fault for sucking.

He didn't hire JDR like he didn't hire Gruden the owner Mark Davis hired those coaches.

And so the second part of the prophecy of Grudens return comes to pass. I liked Reggie. Thought he did a great job of turning that franchise around after a decade of mismanagement. He cleaned up the cap hell. He drafted top tier talent at premium positions. I don’t think this is a good idea. 

Gruden pulling a McDaniels. 

7 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

And so the second part of the prophecy of Grudens return comes to pass. I liked Reggie. Thought he did a great job of turning that franchise around after a decade of mismanagement. He cleaned up the cap hell. He drafted top tier talent at premium positions. I don’t think this is a good idea. 

Gruden pulling a McDaniels. 

He had one good draft with Mack and Carr. After that, it's been a lot of nothing. He can't really be hanging his hat on the draft. 

18 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Do they hire a Gruden puppet or actually get someone who might have an opinion?

Gruden puppet.

Gruden was hired to bring a recognizable face to the new Vegas location. He'll be there for the next 4 seasons no matter how bad he is.

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

More power? He already has total control. Reggie has taken a back seat and it's extremely obvious. 

While this is true, it didn't seem like a very well kept secret or anything that Reggie was the one who negotiated the (very good) returns (at face value at least - if you consider that the coach with the actual power made it clear he didn't want the players... or the owner with his money tied up on paying relocation fees made it clear he had not intention of paying the kind of guarantees and bonus monies necessary to extend said players) for Mack and Cooper.  Whether a Gruden sycophant "GM" will be as capable of doing that is a legitimate unknown.  I'm also nowhere near sold on Gruden's decision-making in terms of drafting or player personnel  - particularly if the same scouts who gave McKenzie the reports that he was (very likely) basing his decisions off remain with the club.

While this may not be a case of Gruden gaining "more control," it is a case of one less tether being in place that might have protected the Raiders organization from an unbridled Gruden and his hubris.  It's like having a government without any checks or balances; basically the only check on Gruden now is Mark Davis who puts Jon on a pedestal in the same way that Mike Brown appears to do with Marvin Lewis.

Honestly, the biggest winner in this whole move may end up being the Redskins if they can find some way to finagle shedding Bruce Allen in this.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Gruden puppet.

Gruden was hired to bring a recognizable face to the new Vegas location. He'll be there for the next 4 seasons no matter how bad he is.

That's what I've thought since Gruden was hired - Davis wanted a celebrity coach to help build buzz for the move. Problem is it looks like they spent $100m on a guy who's coaching 1990s football in 2018. 

I've been telling raider fans for YEARS that McKenzie was a bad GM. This is a good move. 

Gruden being the GM would be a terrible move. 

I wonder if he will give Scott mcglouan a call. That would be a fantastic hire but Vegas probably isn't the place for him to live. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I've been telling raider fans for YEARS that McKenzie was a bad GM. This is a good move. 

Gruden being the GM would be a terrible move. 

I wonder if he will give Scott mcglouan a call. That would be a fantastic hire but Vegas probably isn't the place for him to live. 

Scott’s working with Dorsey in Cleveland 

Archived