Report: Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie Not Returning for 2019 Season

DigInBoys

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's what I've thought since Gruden was hired - Davis wanted a celebrity coach to help build buzz for the move. Problem is it looks like they spent $100m on a guy who's coaching 1990s football in 2018. 

If you've been watching, his offense is starting to click and very much grounded in 2018. Carr has now gone 8 games without an INT and is playing really good football. Talent remains the issue. Poor drafts have sunk this team on defense. 

15 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yes he drafted Mack. That was the most obvious selection anyone could ever make though. He had one good draft during his tenure with us.

He is good at working the cap, which is necessary given the bad players he signs.

He drafted Mack / Cooper and Carr and let's not pretend that they all didn't shine at some point in their careers with Oakland. He also took you out of the worst cap in the league and at one point had people talking about you guys as sleeper contenders. I don't know how anyone can knock on the guy. He wasn't and isn't as bad as you're making him out to be.

13 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

He drafted Mack / Cooper and Carr and let's not pretend that they all didn't shine at some point in their careers with Oakland. He also took you out of the worst cap in the league and at one point had people talking about you guys as sleeper contenders. I don't know how anyone can knock on the guy. He wasn't and isn't as bad as you're making him out to be.

Like every GM, he had his hits. It was the early misses that defined this team guys like Hayden, Watson, Ward, Calhoun,  Melifonwu.

The defense has been awful his entire tenure. Aside from Mack, he failed miserably to put a secondary together year over year. And blatantly ignored the LB position trying to fit late round picks in. The teams inability to cover TEs has been laughably bad for years now because of a lack of safety and LB talent. 

Some very questionable FA moves as well on bad players.

30 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Like every GM, he had his hits. It was the early misses that defined this team guys like Hayden, Watson, Ward, Calhoun,  Melifonwu.

The defense has been awful his entire tenure. Aside from Mack, he failed miserably to put a secondary together year over year. And blatantly ignored the LB position trying to fit late round picks in. The teams inability to cover TEs has been laughably bad for years now because of a lack of safety and LB talent. 

Some very questionable FA moves as well on bad players.

As there are with every GM with their hits, there are GMs with their misses as well -- you take the good with the bad. I just don't think he's nearly as bad as he's being made out to be. I personally feel he was the right hire for the job in the situation you guys were in. He took what was arguably the laughing stock of the NFL (aside from Cleveland) who's drafts were predictable (Anyone with a really good 40 time) to a team that made some pretty nice moves under his tenure and then some questionable ones as well. I don't think that makes him bad. He came into arguably the toughest situation cap hell, no franchise qb, no #1 WR to speak of, a pure lack of a running game, a poor offensive line and a shotty defense. He got you a franchise QB, a #1 WR, rebuilt your offensive line and got you a face for your defense during his tenure while managing to get you out of cap hell and making players WANT to play for Oakland. 

Come on man, the guy wasn't NEARLY the man he's being made out to be. He had a hell of a task ahead of him for a rebuild and turned that franchise around a lot sooner then people had expected and he did it the right way. The problem is that the players he's hitting on can't and aren't being retained.

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The guy is just a very bad GM. Horrible drafter, tons of blunders in FA, bad coaching hires, etc.

I like Reggie as a person but as a GM he is simply not good. I'd be happy if we kept him as an assistant but this isn't a big loss at all. 

I don't think he was bad...the organization was bad.  That organization was in a cap cess-pool when he took over and then he finally got them into a playoff team, and then promptly neutered him by hiring Gruden.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him be successful elsewhere.  

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If you've been watching, his offense is starting to click and very much grounded in 2018. Carr has now gone 8 games without an INT and is playing really good football. Talent remains the issue. Poor drafts have sunk this team on defense. 

Well I do have to admit I have not seen the Raiders play, other than ESPN/NFLN highlights, for a while now. So it's good to see (for Raiders fans, not myself) that they're working on getting with the times. I wish our OC could do that...

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I don't think he was bad...the organization was bad.  That organization was in a cap cess-pool when he took over and then he finally got them into a playoff team, and then promptly neutered him by hiring Gruden.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him be successful elsewhere.  

He was bad. Davis stood back for years and let Reggie do his thing, only to see the team continue to suck and needed to make a change. Reggie is a cap expert and that's pretty much the extent of his success here.

What is a GM supposed to do? Draft well, sign contributing FAs, hire a viable coaching staff. He did none of those things consistently. He hit on a number of picks (Carr, Mack, Cooper, Conely), but missed on A LOT (Hayden, Obi, Ward, etc). He got schooled in trades constantly. He made questionable coaching decisions (Keeping KNJ and firing Musgrave).

The playoff run a number of years ago (which so many keep noting) was built on an unsustainable model of Carr being magic in the 4th Q. We were not a playoff deserving team that year and it showed. We had Mack on D and nothing else.

Look, I loved Reggie in the early years, but quite frankly he needed to go because what he was doing did not lead to many W's.

I'd say he was a middle of the road GM, all in.

Had his good points, such as hitting on Mack, Cooper and Carr in a short space of time. He also turned around a horrendous cap situation far quicker than most thought was possible, as well as continuing to manage the salaries effectively. Conversely, he had some awful drafts - his hit rate in the 2nd & 3rd rounds is dreadful, and you could argue that Mack was such a no-brainer that you can't exactly credit Reggie for drafting him when anyone would have at our spot.

The Raiders could do better, but they could also do worse. As with most of the Gruden stuff so far, this one will be better evaluated a few years down the line. But I don't think it's a particularly big loss.

his first round picks have actually been ok for us;
DJ Hayden (after a trade down, easily his worst pick) Mack, Cooper, Karl Joseph (showing to be solid), Gareon Conley (really impressing)

His 2nd and 3rd rounds are terrible (outside of Carr), and then he usually finds decent depth/ (starters for us lol) towards the end of the draft.

He is terrible at getting trade value from trade downs though, and he doesnt value the LBer position. 

pretty laughable when people say 'but but but he drafted mack, cooper, carr!' 

Yeah, and Trent Baalke drafted Deforest Buckner, that doesn't mean he was a good GM.

You mean the same cooper that everyone laughed at the cowboys for trading another first rounder for? (one that wasn't even a top 5 pick, like the one the raiders used on him)

You mean the QB that everyone thought Gruden would dump after a season? 

Reggie's fate was sealed when he gave the bears an additional second rounder back

Archived