Coaching and GM candidates

Umbaugh21

Here is what you do if you start over:  

1.) Hire a GM who has mostly full autonomy.  There is always going to be the owner needing for something.  For example, paying a QB what amounts to 11% of the salary cap should be a decision that all are comfortable with.  So is the #1 overall draft choice, if a team is lucky to get that.  But overall, the GM should be left to do their thing with little to no input from those above him.  

2.) This GM then hires a new head coach.  Head coach should be largely in agreement with how the GM wants to structure the team, what kind of system to run and the players who best fit that system.  For a team like the Redskins, this may also include transition plans for a year or two while you go through the process of building a roster.  

3.) The head coach hires the rest of the coaching staff to the best of their ability to fit what they are going to do. 

4.) The head coach, offensive coordinator and GM should all be in agreement on the next quarterback of the future.  If they are in agreement that that QB isn't in this draft, then they pour a lot of the scouting department resources into next year to find that QB.  

5.) A quick turnaround can happen.  However, 2-3 years is about average in the NFL.  I would dig in for 4-5 if I knew the right people were handling it.  

Also, another quick note here.  Guys, if you are advocating for Manusky to be gone, it's only going to happen if Gruden is also fired.  This is the same situation we were in when Joe Barry was let go, no hot-shot DC wanted to sign with the Redskins with a head coach on the hot seat, and we got stuck with a retread hire in Manusky.  If Gruden is kept on, the clock is definitely ticking and I don't think he has any leave to fire anyone, because the replacement isn't going to be better.  

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2017/12/28/2018-nfl-general-manager-candidate-study/

Meanwhile, the only exciting names on that list for me would be Scott Pioli and Eliot Wolf.  The benefit with Wolf is likely having his father as an advisor, and last I heard, Ron still lives in Annapolis so he would be close if needed.  This article was from last year, and does have some jobs that are incorrect- Wolf is currently the Browns AGM, for example. 

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Can you tell me why?

For one, Belichick disciples never seem to do well as head coaches.  There's a long line of them, and I'm not surprised that Matt Patricia is struggling in year one either.  From his time as head coach in Denver, they struggled.  He had numerous clashes with Brandon Marshall and other players, leading many to question his ability to communicate well- which is a primary trait that executives are looking for in a head coach these days.  His offense was ridiculously simple- throw it up vertically.  And, he got caught videotaping another team.  

Also, with how he handled the Colts job offer and going back on his word, no way do I want this guy anywhere near the Redskins head coaching job.  There's just not a lot to inspire confidence.  

11 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Dabo would be nice but he’s not leaving Clemson where he practically walks on water. 

Dabo is that dude!!! I would love that guy here!! No matter who we get it needs to be a offensive guy!!! We can find a stud DC even if we promoted Titian Grey who has done a really good job developing our DB’s. But if prefer a stud DC with a really good offensive coach!!!! Lincoln Riley would be great too. I’m not oppose to going to the college ranks as I’ve wanted Nick Saban here!!!! If there’s a team doing the most to brink Saban it’s us!!! Heck we will have every national title stud defender on this defense as soon as we let Swearenger walk to sign Collins we will be complete!!!!

Archived