Coaching and GM candidates

Umbaugh21

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2017/12/28/2018-nfl-general-manager-candidate-study/

Meanwhile, the only exciting names on that list for me would be Scott Pioli and Eliot Wolf.  The benefit with Wolf is likely having his father as an advisor, and last I heard, Ron still lives in Annapolis so he would be close if needed.  This article was from last year, and does have some jobs that are incorrect- Wolf is currently the Browns AGM, for example. 

I’d love Wolf!!! But honestly I’d just promote Kyle Smith as that guy is literally the next Bobby Bethard!!! If our dumbo president didn’t trade all our picks we would be loaded this draft with capital to move around the board but you know Bruce could ruin the best wet dream imaginable so it’s not like we should be surprised!!!!

15 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I’m going to warn you guys now, whoever we hire my bit will be to call for their firing from day 1. Ultimately in 3ish years I’ll be proven correct and everyone bug turtle will recognize me as a football savant

Haha. So true 

I think a big problem is going to be the way Bruce Allen has set up the front office. It was obvious that Allen didn't want to be removed as the GM, so when McCloughan was fired, he made personnel moves that made him the de facto GM. Keeping Tony Wyllie, despite Wyllie's amazing incompetence, secured Allen against any PR issues. He's then positioned Doug Williams so that any move to hire an actual GM will result in that GM being forced to work directly with Doug Williams, or move Doug Williams. Doug Williams being a legend will make firing him virtually impossible, and moving him would be problematic. Snyder isn't going to fire him and it's going to be a hard sell to get Snyder to agree to move Williams away from football personnel decisions.

This is more compounded by Allen's selections for scouting. He's chosen decent, but young guys to head up the scouting departments. The oldest guy is 44 and he's actually not even the director, but an assistant director. That the team is unable to find depth is a big result of that. They lack experience running departments. They are, of course, good scouts themselves, but being a good scout isn't the most important skill when it comes to heading up a department. Neither Santos nor Smith would be in their current position in most other organizations. Frankly, they owe quite a bit to Allen for giving them the chance to learn on the job. While both are respected, they both could have used a few years' more seasoning.

Basically, Allen would always have a way to influence personnel decisions regardless of where he's moved.

This becomes a problem for an incoming GM, because they basically have to gut everything. Coaching, training staff, scouting department .... everything football related. That means whoever it is has to have the ability to explain things to Snyder in such a way that he'll leave the GM alone, deal with the fallout from Doug Williams, re-hire an entire scouting department, find a new coaching staff, and then deal with the nightmare that is the Redskins PR department. All while fending off Bruce Allen's attacks on him.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:21 PM, Skins212689 said:

You gonna say why or troll with these post? 

1. Has had no success outside of Bill Belichick. In fact, there has no been assistant from Belichick's tree from New England that has ever had success outside of New England (Nick Saban was his DC in Cleveland, and bombed out at Miami before finding success in college)
  2. He's a retread.
  3. He jerked the Lions Colts around. What's to stop him from doing that to Washington?
  4. He's arrogant. I'm not sure he can instill the right culture the locker room needs.

There's four reasons just off the top of my head.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:49 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Here is what you do if you start over:  

1.) Hire a GM who has mostly full autonomy.  There is always going to be the owner needing for something.  For example, paying a QB what amounts to 11% of the salary cap should be a decision that all are comfortable with.  So is the #1 overall draft choice, if a team is lucky to get that.  But overall, the GM should be left to do their thing with little to no input from those above him.  

2.) This GM then hires a new head coach.  Head coach should be largely in agreement with how the GM wants to structure the team, what kind of system to run and the players who best fit that system.  For a team like the Redskins, this may also include transition plans for a year or two while you go through the process of building a roster.  

3.) The head coach hires the rest of the coaching staff to the best of their ability to fit what they are going to do. 

4.) The head coach, offensive coordinator and GM should all be in agreement on the next quarterback of the future.  If they are in agreement that that QB isn't in this draft, then they pour a lot of the scouting department resources into next year to find that QB.  

5.) A quick turnaround can happen.  However, 2-3 years is about average in the NFL.  I would dig in for 4-5 if I knew the right people were handling it.  

Also, another quick note here.  Guys, if you are advocating for Manusky to be gone, it's only going to happen if Gruden is also fired.  This is the same situation we were in when Joe Barry was let go, no hot-shot DC wanted to sign with the Redskins with a head coach on the hot seat, and we got stuck with a retread hire in Manusky.  If Gruden is kept on, the clock is definitely ticking and I don't think he has any leave to fire anyone, because the replacement isn't going to be better.  

This would be the steps a competent franchise would take.

Unfortunately, we're dealing with the Washington Redskins, so ...

On 12/10/2018 at 9:15 AM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I’m going to warn you guys now, whoever we hire my bit will be to call for their firing from day 1. Ultimately in 3ish years I’ll be proven correct and everyone bug turtle will recognize me as a football savant

To be fair, betting against the Snyder-owned Redskins on anything is where the smart money goes.

Archived