2018 Roster Prediction

Rockice_8

Yes this is a 2018 roster prediction.  We all should see what is coming here with a 3 win season on the horizon.  I want to focus on who is good enough to lockdown their respective positions for 2018 and beyond.  How many future positions do we think or expect to be held down by guys currently on the roster for 2018.  

OFFENSE

QB: Currently I don't see the starter on the roster.  I'm not giving up on Hack and would like to continue to develop his skill set but I'm also not banking on improvement and when the time comes we should be doing everything to land a franchise QB.  If Hack develops that's just icing on the cake.

RB: Powell is 28 going on 29 so he' not a long term answer.  He has tread left on his tires as he was never overworked in his career.  Still at best he's a change of pace guy/depth moving forward.  I like McGuire a lot but again I think he is a 3rd down back type who will be taking over for Powell a year or tow down the road in that role.  Need a bell cow type but good news they can be found mid rounds.

WR: Enunwa if healthy has starting potential as does Anderson.  I think a 3rd starting caliber WR is necessary unless one of the rooks flash this year.  I'll say it's unlikely so they will be good depth only.  A high end WR1/2 should be a priority.

TE: Leggett has potential as does ASJ.  Not sure if either will be a long term answer but the potential is there for them to grow so hopefully we won't need to spend resources on one in 2018.

LT: Major hole in 2018

LG: Carp is excellent but he's 28.  He'll be starting caliber for another 3-4 years I hope

C: Likely that we are looking for an upgrade pushing Johnson back on the depth chart

RG: Winters is solid yet unspectacular.  He should be starting in 2018

RT: This would be a huge spot to have Shell hold down for the next 8 years.  Shell is very important to 2018 so I'll be watching him closely, lets hope for the best

DEFENSE

DL: I think we are set here for 2018.  I think Richardson is moved this year and we are committed to a trio of Wilk, Simon, Williams.  Hopefully losing Richardson can net us a pick to address a need in 2018.

MLB: I love how Lee responded this offseason by adding weight.  I'm expecting big things from him.  Right now I don't see a 2018 long term answer next to him though just depth.  MLB is a need for 2018 unless Connor Harris steps up.

OLB: I think Jenkins has starting potential for 2018 and he'll lock down that spot.  The weakside is another issue.  Donahue could be a situational guy/special teams ace which is important but for now lets say that pass rusher is a big need.

CB: Mo is a stop gap and his injury history is too soft tissue for me to want to commit to that long term.  Burris has #2 potential but I think we need a true #1 CB.  Hopefully one of the draft picks steps up and we can at least cover the slot with who we have on the roster so we can rid ourselves of Skrine next year.  I like the rookie upside here but for now lets call it a need.

S: I think we are going to have a scary good and versatile combo here.  It's scary to think how good Adams could be but what's even scarier is that Maye has stolen the attention.  Both look like do it all safeties and if they continue to play well we'll be in good hands for a long time.  Good thing is they both seem like good leaders.

BIGGEST NEEDS

OFFENSE: QB, RB, WR, LT, C

DEFENSE: MLB, OLB, CB

That entire offense needs to look completely different. I am sorry but i dont even think winters is solid. hes a bottom tier RG and we can do much better especially for what hes making and whats sad is when he looks terrible as usual again this year, we save nothing by cutting him. Its really getting hard to trust Mike Macagnen at this point but i also think he needs to be given the opportunity to right the ship. 

I actually met a scout for the Miami dolphins,  (i didnt believe him at first until i saw the pictures on his phone and he was boastful either) who just took a job with the Saints...said that Mike Macagnen and Todd Bowles were both well respected members of the football community, and also noted that Mike Tannenbaum is a fraud, should never be allowed to GM a team and is thought of as a joke by the same community...so maybe we did upgrade lol? Either way if we ever want to develop a QB we need a brilliant offensive mind. I know its wishful thinking but Woody needs to stop being an idiot and a cheap -------- --------- (you can fill in the blanks yourselves) and open up the check book to Jim Harbaugh for personel control as well. Then maybe, just maybe we wont be one of the laughingstocks of the NFL....maybe. 

When I realized how Tanny screwed up our cap situation, I lost all faith in him but to be fair when teamed with Mangini he did build a winning team with Gholston their only failure. He seems to be doing a good job putting a team together in Miami but again he is getting in trouble cap wise.

as for us in 2018 I think we will be looking for a QB. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe our offensive line is just so bad no young QB can succeed.

I still think that you build the offense through the OL. They make the QB and RB look better. When Mac took over we had three holes and two 30 years olds. He drafted two 5th rounders signed two LTs coming off an injury and gave good money to Winters and Ijalana. His only successful pick up was Carpenter, a guy that looked like a bust in Seattle's scheme but fit with ours. Next year we will need a LT, C and possible guard. I'm really hoping that Shell works out but a RT has to block for runners and he hasn't done that yet. Dozier is my dark horse and will probably get playing time this year when Winters either gets his almost annual injury.

Wide receiver has become a problem. A lot of what I've read is that we keep dropping passes. A guy like Marshall can drop passes here and there because he more than makes up for it with great plays. The jury is still out on these kids but unless someone steps up, wr will become a need in 2018. The problem is that WB and OL are bigger needs. I'd love to steal Landry away from Miami (see their cap issues).Hopkins is another guy I would love to sign but Houston has a lot of money to spend and he will probably be their priority.

IMO we needed a  RB this year to complement Powell. That hasn't changed. The 2017 draft might have been a real good year for RBs and we passed on all of them - Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Hunt, Joe Williams, Connor, Clement, and Perine. Maybe McGuire will surprise but I think we'll still be looking for a RB in next year's draft. IMO Bell will be just too expensive, has been suspended and injured. Definitely too risky for me to sign long term

At TE I'm hoping that one or more of ASJ, Leggett or Vanderbilt Laan produce so it might not be a need in 2018.

on Defense I think we're good on the D Line and at Safety so I wouldn't even have those positions on my board. We will need a CB since Claiborne was a rental. I'm reading good things about McDougle in the slot and hopefully Burris or one of the rookies can be competent at one outside position. The shutdown corner needs to have speed that I don't think any of our young guys have.

OLB might work withJenkins and a bunch of other high motor guys. I think they will need a high motor as long as Greene is their coach. We still need a dynamic pass rusher but if guys like Stanford, Martin, Bishop play well it might not be a priority.

At ILB I read that Davis is improved from his last go round with us. That will be nice. Hopefully Lee is also improved and Harris becomes that hard nosed guy that makes plays. If Davis plays well and we resign him we might not need to address this position in 2018.

We are going to need TWO quarterbacks, TWO running backs, at least one wide receiver before anything else for 2018. I agree the O line is ugly right now, but we have to focus on the skill positions early and often next off-season, be it at the draft or free agency. 

My dream scenario is that we somehow are able to pry Sean Payton away from Nawlins to coach us and be the final say on personnel decisions. Having Morton here could help with the continuity angle. I don't know who would be the DC but right now the focus should be the offense. Would Brees want to follow Payton? Maybe. Either way, we need 2 QB's.

On 8/21/2017 at 2:57 PM, ekill08x said:

That entire offense needs to look completely different. I am sorry but i dont even think winters is solid. hes a bottom tier RG and we can do much better especially for what hes making and whats sad is when he looks terrible as usual again this year, we save nothing by cutting him. Its really getting hard to trust Mike Macagnen at this point but i also think he needs to be given the opportunity to right the ship. 

I actually met a scout for the Miami dolphins,  (i didnt believe him at first until i saw the pictures on his phone and he was boastful either) who just took a job with the Saints...said that Mike Macagnen and Todd Bowles were both well respected members of the football community, and also noted that Mike Tannenbaum is a fraud, should never be allowed to GM a team and is thought of as a joke by the same community...so maybe we did upgrade lol? Either way if we ever want to develop a QB we need a brilliant offensive mind. I know its wishful thinking but Woody needs to stop being an idiot and a cheap -------- --------- (you can fill in the blanks yourselves) and open up the check book to Jim Harbaugh for personel control as well. Then maybe, just maybe we wont be one of the laughingstocks of the NFL....maybe. 

You need to pick your battles.  You continually bring up Winters but we have far bigger issues going into next year.  With more competent C and RT play he should be fine.  A little overpaid maybe but a starting caliber RG.  You want to bring in a late pick as competition fine but can't waste big bucks or valuable draft picks to upgrade the RG.

Next season we will have a ton of space and two guys I'm looking to bring in are Allen Robinson and Jeremy Hill to fill gaping holes at RB and #1 WR.  My draft is looking like best QB in round 1 and best LT in round 2.  We do that and we are heading in the right direction. 

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

You need to pick your battles.  You continually bring up Winters but we have far bigger issues going into next year.  With more competent C and RT play he should be fine.  A little overpaid maybe but a starting caliber RG.  You want to bring in a late pick as competition fine but can't waste big bucks or valuable draft picks to upgrade the RG.

Next season we will have a ton of space and two guys I'm looking to bring in are Allen Robinson and Jeremy Hill to fill gaping holes at RB and #1 WR.  My draft is looking like best QB in round 1 and best LT in round 2.  We do that and we are heading in the right direction. 

Well this team h as a ton of deficiencies and Winters is one of them. He played next to mangold for two years and still struggled, I just think hes trash at RG honestly and its a bad contract but theres really nothing we can do. 

As for as FA and draft goes what you suggested is a great start. If we draft a QB round 1 we better invest heavily in protecting him and being able to offset him an actual running game too. Allen Robinson would be an awesome addition to the passing game but its going to be really hard to convince a guy who had Blake Bortles  who sucks, to come here and start over again with a rookie. Might have to over pay. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Well this team h as a ton of deficiencies and Winters is one of them. He played next to mangold for two years and still struggled, I just think hes trash at RG honestly and its a bad contract but theres really nothing we can do. 

As for as FA and draft goes what you suggested is a great start. If we draft a QB round 1 we better invest heavily in protecting him and being able to offset him an actual running game too. Allen Robinson would be an awesome addition to the passing game but its going to be really hard to convince a guy who had Blake Bortles  who sucks, to come here and start over again with a rookie. Might have to over pay. 

Two years next to Mangold and our RT was a revolving door of garbage for the most part.  If we improve the C and LT spot and Shell turns into a solid RT we can do worse than Winters at RG.  We'll have to overpay for almost everyone but it's worth it to bring in a 23 yr old stud WR to help fingers crossed Darnold.  

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Two years next to Mangold and our RT was a revolving door of garbage for the most part.  If we improve the C and LT spot and Shell turns into a solid RT we can do worse than Winters at RG.  We'll have to overpay for almost everyone but it's worth it to bring in a 23 yr old stud WR to help fingers crossed Darnold.  

Fingers crossed everything lol. I just have never been impressed with Winters what so ever and Mac insanely overpaid him so now its time to prove it. We should have one of the better defensive lines in football for a while so if we can focus to attention to the offensive line everything will fall back into place and whomever we draft at QB will be in a decent situation. Hopefully next year there is actually a reason to watch. Unfortunately I already wish it was week 17 and we are 0-15 with no chance to blow the number 1 over pick and all QBs are coming out. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, Rockice_8 said:

Yes this is a 2018 roster prediction.  We all should see what is coming here with a 3 win season on the horizon.  I want to focus on who is good enough to lockdown their respective positions for 2018 and beyond.  How many future positions do we think or expect to be held down by guys currently on the roster for 2018.  

OFFENSE

QB: Currently I don't see the starter on the roster.  I'm not giving up on Hack and would like to continue to develop his skill set but I'm also not banking on improvement and when the time comes we should be doing everything to land a franchise QB.  If Hack develops that's just icing on the cake.

RB: Powell is 28 going on 29 so he' not a long term answer.  He has tread left on his tires as he was never overworked in his career.  Still at best he's a change of pace guy/depth moving forward.  I like McGuire a lot but again I think he is a 3rd down back type who will be taking over for Powell a year or tow down the road in that role.  Need a bell cow type but good news they can be found mid rounds.

WR: Enunwa if healthy has starting potential as does Anderson.  I think a 3rd starting caliber WR is necessary unless one of the rooks flash this year.  I'll say it's unlikely so they will be good depth only.  A high end WR1/2 should be a priority.

TE: Leggett has potential as does ASJ.  Not sure if either will be a long term answer but the potential is there for them to grow so hopefully we won't need to spend resources on one in 2018.

LT: Major hole in 2018

LG: Carp is excellent but he's 28.  He'll be starting caliber for another 3-4 years I hope

C: Likely that we are looking for an upgrade pushing Johnson back on the depth chart

RG: Winters is solid yet unspectacular.  He should be starting in 2018

RT: This would be a huge spot to have Shell hold down for the next 8 years.  Shell is very important to 2018 so I'll be watching him closely, lets hope for the best

DEFENSE

DL: I think we are set here for 2018.  I think Richardson is moved this year and we are committed to a trio of Wilk, Simon, Williams.  Hopefully losing Richardson can net us a pick to address a need in 2018.

MLB: I love how Lee responded this offseason by adding weight.  I'm expecting big things from him.  Right now I don't see a 2018 long term answer next to him though just depth.  MLB is a need for 2018 unless Connor Harris steps up.

OLB: I think Jenkins has starting potential for 2018 and he'll lock down that spot.  The weakside is another issue.  Donahue could be a situational guy/special teams ace which is important but for now lets say that pass rusher is a big need.

CB: Mo is a stop gap and his injury history is too soft tissue for me to want to commit to that long term.  Burris has #2 potential but I think we need a true #1 CB.  Hopefully one of the draft picks steps up and we can at least cover the slot with who we have on the roster so we can rid ourselves of Skrine next year.  I like the rookie upside here but for now lets call it a need.

S: I think we are going to have a scary good and versatile combo here.  It's scary to think how good Adams could be but what's even scarier is that Maye has stolen the attention.  Both look like do it all safeties and if they continue to play well we'll be in good hands for a long time.  Good thing is they both seem like good leaders.

BIGGEST NEEDS

OFFENSE: QB, RB, WR, LT, C

DEFENSE: MLB, OLB, CB

You forgot our biggest need a real NFL GM, not like the raging alcoholic we have now. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

We should look into trading for Teddy Bridgewater. Shouldn't cost much. I bet we could get him with Seattles 2nd.

He's a free agent after the season, I'd bring him on a prove it deal. I'd still be drafting a QB with out first pick though. I don't think he'd want to come here unless we prove we have talent for him to take advantage of on a prove it deal.

8 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

He's a free agent after the season, I'd bring him on a prove it deal. I'd still be drafting a QB with out first pick though. I don't think he'd want to come here unless we prove we have talent for him to take advantage of on a prove it deal.

He's going to cost more than a prove it deal. He looked just as good as any young QB before his injury. I didn't know he's a FA, but he's who I'd target. I'd rather grab him an FA and use the rest of our money and picks on OLine and weapons. We can answer QB, 3 OLine spots, RB and 2 WRs between the draft and FA.

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He's going to cost more than a prove it deal. He looked just as good as any young QB before his injury. I didn't know he's a FA, but he's who I'd target. I'd rather grab him an FA and use the rest of our money and picks on OLine and weapons. We can answer QB, 3 OLine spots, RB and 2 WRs between the draft and FA.

I wouldn't offer him more than a 1 year deal unless he Was paid based on starts. The risk of him never playing again is too high for me. The injury he sustained was gruesome.

Archived