Moretti's post win mock

moretti19

Greenbay finishes 7-8-1 misses the playoffs and receive the 15th pick. The Saints pick is pick 30.

Head Coach: 

Kris Richard:

As a play-caller, Richard directed the Seattle Seahawks' top-three scoring defense between the 2015-16 campaigns before a slip to 13th last year. He's sculpted a stingier unit in Dallas.

In 2017, the Cowboys surrendered 28 passing touchdowns. Through 13 weeks this season, the unit has allowed just 16 scores through the air. Byron Jones has made a smooth transition back to cornerback after playing safety over the last two terms. In a wider scope, Dallas fields the No. 3 scoring defense.

Richard's success has followed him from Seattle to Dallas, which may catch the eye of front-office executives. If paired with an innovative offensive coordinator, the 39-year-old could become an ideal candidate over the winter. He interviewed with the Buffalo Bills after the 2016 campaign and Colts last off season.

bmartin_nfl-draft_how-much-input-will-kr

Cut: 

Jimmy Graham: not producing for his salary amount

Re- Signed:

Breeland - A serviceable corner back with a lot of upside

Jake Ryan: Decent Linebacker

Wilkerson: take 2

Tonyan: good TE depth with a high ceiling

Gilbert: serviceable

Free Agents:

Maxx Williams:

Very athletic tight end, with Baltimore drafting a first round tight end this last year Williams has a good chance of hitting the market.

490332420.jpg.0.jpg

Frank Clark:

Still only 25 years old and is a premier pass rusher.

usatsi_10108013_153192880_lowres.jpg?w=1

Jimmy Ward:

Experienced safety with good range and skills.

hi-res-3aa5decfd86c9524f7349683019ee7b0_

Draft:

RD1:

LSU_logo.gif Devin White*, ILB, LSU 
Height: 6-2. Weight: 236. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.64. 
Projected Round (2019): 1. 

11/17/18: In 2018, White has 89 tackles with seven for a loss, four passes broken up, one sack and one forced fumble. He has been rock solid for LSU, showing excellent run-defense skills with the ability to contribute in coverage. White is also effective at generating pass pressure when blitzing. 

8/29/18: White had an excellent 2017 season, totaling 133 tackles with 14 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, three passes broken up and one interception. White didn't get the attention of other SEC linebackers like Roquan Smith and Rashaan Evans, first-round picks in the 2018 NFL Draft, but that could easily change this fall. Here is how one of the National scouts summarized White. 

"This kid could end up being similar to Ray Lewis. I'd take White over any of the linebackers this year. He's unbelievable. Unless he gets hurt or completely shuts it down to protect himself, he'll be the first linebacker drafted next year. He's the complete package. Great character. He's the signal-caller of the defense with a super football IQ. He's big, study, and stout enough for Mike - middle linebacker; swift enough for Will - weakside linebacker -, great athlete and coverage instincts. Stacks up the stat boxes, all of them. He's fast, an explosive tackler, and [has] elite reactionary quickness. 

"Right now, he's among the best, and maybe the best, I've scouted. Better athlete and versatility than [Dont'a] Hightower. More explosive, violent, and bigger than C.J. Mosley; same level of instincts. Better than Jerod Mayo at Tennessee. Bigger than Jonathan Vilma while being more violent and instinctive than D.J. Williams, same kind of freak athlete explosiveness-wise. [A] thumper like Sean Weatherspoon. Basically, he's a bigger version of Roquan Smith in the 240-250-pound range. He's FUN to watch. Unbelievable stamina and motor. He could be the best linebacker ever to come out of L
SU
8743910.jpg

RD1 30

BostonCollege_logo.gif Zach Allen, DE, Boston College 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 284. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.85. 
Projected Round (2019): Top-16. 

11/17/18: On the year, Allen has 50 tackles with 5.5 sacks, six passes batted, one forced fumble and 13.5 tackles for a loss. He has played well for Boston College despite extra attention. Allen is a tough run defender and steadily puts pressure on the quarterback. He has good instincts, feel, and is a well-rounded player that has versatility for a 4-3 or 3-4 in the NFL. 

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Allen checks in at 6-foot-4, 284 pounds with 34-inch arms, 9.5-inch hands, and a wingspan of 79.88 inches. They have him running the 40-yard dash in 4.85 seconds. 

Allen didn't receive the hype of teammate Harold Landry, but Allen was the better pro prospect and could easily have been picked before Landry if Allen had declared for the 2018 NFL Draft. Allen is a tough run defender who is strong to hold his ground at the point of attack. He anchors well and is tough to move. As a pass-rusher, Allen has an impressive first-step and burst out of his stance for a heavy defensive end. He has the strength to get pressure on the bull rush and the speed to close. Allen could use more pass-rushing moves for the NFL, and with his size and strength, it would be nice to see him add a club or rip move
zach-allen-football.jpg
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019DE.php#ixzz5ZEnRMzOm

RD2.

Alabama_logo.gif Irv Smith Jr.*, TE, Alabama 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 245. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.59. 
Projected Round (2019): 1-3. 

12/1/18: Smith has been excellent this season as a mismatch weapon for Alabama. He is a shifty route-runner with quickness down the seam, good hands, and the size to be dangerous after the catch. This season, Smith has caught 35 passes for 613 yards and five touchdowns. Smith has upside to grow as he gains more playing experience. His father was a first-round pick out of Notre Dame by the Saints in the 1993 NFL Draft. Irv Smith Jr.'s uncle, Edward Smith, also played tight end in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons, so he has a NFL pedigree that could help him to assimilate to the pro game. 

Irv+Smith+Jr+Tennessee+v+Alabama+n98ph85

RD3:

WashingtonState_logo.gif Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 306. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.10. 
Projected Round (2019): 2-4. 

12/8/18: Dillard helped keep Wyoming edge rusher Carl Granderson from notching a sack in their Week 1 matchup. Since then, Dillard has played well for the Cougars and done a good job of protecting his quarterback's blind side. 

On the edge, Dillard is a good athlete with quick feet to get depth in his drop. He is adept at heading off speed rushers and keeping them from getting turned to the quarterback. Dillard plays with good leverage, as he is a knee bender and does not bend at the waist. There have been a few plays on which Dillard has allowed rushers to get speed upfield, but he has demonstrated nice recoverability to push the rushers deep and around the pocket to protect his tackle. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php#ixzz5ZEfxTcC7

Boise_St_Washington_St_Football4_161040-

Rd 4 Redskins

Iman Marshall Safety USC

In pass coverage, Marshall is a very good fit for the pro game. He has the size to battle big receivers along with the ability to play a variety of techniques. Marshall has played a lot of press-man coverage and shows the skill to turn and run with receivers. He also has played off-man and zone coverage, showing nice flexibility with quick feet to be smooth in off-man coverage. Marshall possesses good diagnosis skills and instincts to function well in zone. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018imarshall.php#ixzz5ZEhHGeJq

hqdefault.jpg

RD4

Florida_logo.gif Tyrie Cleveland*, WR, Florida 
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.49. 
Projected Round (2019): 4-6. 

12/1/18: Cleveland has 18 receptions for 212 yards and three touchdowns this season. He actually was more impressive as a gunner on punt coverage. He should return for his senior year. 

8/28/18: In 2017, Cleveland was held back by injuries and poor quarterback play, but he is an explosive receiver with a lanky frame who challenges defenses downfield. As a sophomore, he totaled 22 receptions for 410 yards with two scores. In his freshman year, he had 14 catches for 298 yards and two touchdowns. Cleveland possesses a ton of upside with a combination of size and speed.

Florida-Gators-receiver-Tyrie-Cleveland-

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php#ixzz5ZEiAd6UN

RD5

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Oklahoma_logo.gif

Oklahoma_logo.gif Rodney Anderson*, RB, Oklahoma 
Height: 6-1. Weight: 219. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.50. 

12/1/18: Anderson totaled 119 yards in 2018 on 11 carries with two touchdowns before suffering a season-ending knee injury. He has declared for the 2019 NFL Draft. 

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Anderson checks in at 6-foot-1, 219 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in 4.50 seconds. The durability concerns are going to kill his draft grade, and some teams may flunk him medically as he has had three season ending injuries in four years. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019RB.php#ixzz5ZEjckQEI

w620-adcf17196a18c6c86e5920c0fc56c312.jp

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019RB.php#5uQkYAIEh0ZBbzZe.99

Rd6:

• PennState_logo.gif Shareef Miller*, 3-4OLB, Penn State 
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 256. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.76. 

11/17/18: Miller has 24 tackles with 10.5 for a loss and six sacks at this point in the season. 

8/29/18: Miller had 37 tackles with 11 tackles for a loss and five sacks in 2017. It was his first season of extended playing time, so he could build on that year now that he has a season of experience
  • usa_today_10294030.0.jpg

Rd7:

Georgia_logo.gif Rodrigo Blankenship*, K, Georgia 
Height: 6-1. Weight: 191. 
Projected Round (2020): 5-7. 

11/24/18: Blankenship is 18-of-20 this season with a long of 53 yards. 

8/30/18: Blankenship was excellent in 2017, connecting on 87 percent of his field goals (20-of-23). He had a long of 55 yards was 2-for-2 in the 50-yard-plus range. He was 4-of-7 in the 40-yard range. Blankenship has not missed an extra point over two seasons

georgia-kicker-glasses-rodrigo-blankensh

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019K.php#ixzz5ZElN34JD

Me either.   Definitely do not like a 1st round ILB.  Not a big fan of TE in round 2 either-  We don't use them much.  I get the idea, but think it's a bad use of resources for what our team needs.   Rather get an OL or DL.   If none are available at this time then investing in a WR makes better sense to me.

I’m cool with the FA. I like Williams, just he hasn’t been healthy. Clark is interesting (not a top 15 rusher, but  solid). I bet he gets retained.

I don’t  love the draft.

We aren’t taking an ILB. Between Blake, Burks, and Jones (hybrid) we aren’t burning a high pick on one.

I also don’t think we go DE round one. In a 3-4 we only need 5-6 DL. Daniels, Lowry, Clark, Monty are on the roster. It is more likely we find a stop gap depth guy then using a premo pick

I’m fine taking a TE.

8 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I’m cool with the FA. I like Williams, just he hasn’t been healthy. Clark is interesting (not a top 15 rusher, but  solid). I bet he gets retained.

I don’t  love the draft.

We aren’t taking an ILB. Between Blake, Burks, and Jones (hybrid) we aren’t burning a high pick on one.

I also don’t think we go DE round one. In a 3-4 we only need 5-6 DL. Daniels, Lowry, Clark, Monty are on the roster. It is more likely we find a stop gap depth guy then using a premo pick

I’m fine taking a TE.

Zach Allen would be a OLB in this defense as well as Frank Clark. 

Frank Clark is scum, but otherwise I would be really happy with this offseason. Nice work.

As a side note, I continue to struggle with the devaluing of inside linebackers. I think I understand it in theory—those guys are easier to find and therefore less valuable. But it seems to me that all the best inside linebackers in recent memory—Willis, Bowman, Lewis, Urlacher, Thomas, Kuechly, Wagner—led very good to elite defenses. If Devin White is that kind of player and you have a chance to get him, don't you jump all over that? Figure out the rest later?

Archived