GB's and Clappers: Sheagles at Dallas

HDsportsfan

4 hours ago, TVScout said:

Inferior with Looney ... Looney is productive...???

Yes. This isn’t a knock on Looney, but a validation as to how good Fredbeard is. Looney has proven to be a competent starter, but Fredbeard is on another level. He’s without question the best Center in the NFL when healthy, so it’s only appropriate to expect a dropoff in talent when someone fills in for him.

Yep looney has been decent as he hasn’t made many mistakes. However Frederick is an elite level center who reads blitzes and adjusts protection accordingly. Which is huge for a young Qb like Dak who sometimes struggles in that area and takes way too many sacks ( partly because of that). 

1 minute ago, project T.O said:

Yep looney has been decent as he hasn’t made many mistakes. However Frederick is an elite level center who reads blitzes and adjusts protection accordingly. Which is huge for a young Qb like Dak who sometimes struggles in that area and takes way too many sacks ( partly because of that). 

I’ve made this argument before, and only a few guys (@Calvert28, @Matts4313, @The_Slamman) were willing to listen to the argument; as important as LT is to a QB, Center is MORE important. The only other player who touches the ball on every snap is the Center. He is also the true “QB” of the offensive line. He anchors all interior play, identifies blitzes, helps identify LB responsibilities, can assist with the hard counts to pull defenders offside, helps create interior running lanes, etc. The Center is a vital spot on the o-line, and a good one will make multiple other positions (LG, RG, QB, RB) play better. That’s huge.

YES Looney has been one of the mire productive linemen other then a healthy Martin. ——     

This should tell people just how much drop off we have with our OL compared to 2016 at its prime. We went from Elite to middle road average 

7 hours ago, quiller said:

YES Looney has been one of the mire productive linemen other then a healthy Martin. ——     

This should tell people just how much drop off we have with our OL compared to 2016 at its prime. We went from Elite to middle road average 

Amazing that you could basically only have 1 of your original starting 5 healthy and still be “middle of the road”, but it’s true.

But that’s kind of why I think the OL concerns are overblown. We’ve been insanely unlucky with the injuries and still are playing at roughly a league average level. Tyron is the main concern with the long-term viability of his back. 

24 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Amazing that you could basically only have 1 of your original starting 5 healthy and still be “middle of the road”, but it’s true.

But that’s kind of why I think the OL concerns are overblown. We’ve been insanely unlucky with the injuries and still are playing at roughly a league average level. Tyron is the main concern with the long-term viability of his back. 

I guess abover average run blocking and below average pass blocking does equal average. 

31 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I guess abover average run blocking and below average pass blocking does equal average. 

Yeah. It’s obviously not been ideal, but I just think it’s impossible to withstand the injuries we have without taking a pretty big hit. In fact, I’d say the performances we’ve gotten out of Looney, XSF, and Fleming have proven we did pretty well filling out the depth chart on the OL. 

52 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I don’t agree about above average run blocking I think it’s average rum blocking that pulls off 3 or 4 well blocked plays out of 25-30.  We just have a superior runner making something out of nothing turning -1 to 0 runs into plus 1 to 2 which with the 3-4 plus 5-15 yrds runs gets him to his 4 average

20 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Yes. This isn’t a knock on Looney, but a validation as to how good Fredbeard is. Looney has proven to be a competent starter, but Fredbeard is on another level. He’s without question the best Center in the NFL when healthy, so it’s only appropriate to expect a dropoff in talent when someone fills in for him.

Looney isn't as athletic on those zone stretch runs but he has better anchor against the bull rush.  That member who was a coach and had to take leave from this forum posted vids showing Fred getting pushed around, jacked up, and rag dolled.

Wanted to note (since their names don't appear in here at all) that we're starting to reap the benefits of drafting Gregory and Lawrence in the 2nd round in consecutive years after they both looked like mistakes at different times (most times in RG's case). Obviously Amari has made a huge impact, plus the play of LVE and Jaylon, but I think what those two have done since the bye week has had a lot to do with our turnaround. Gregory just posted his 4th sack in the last 5 weeks, Lawrence despite the lack of sacks has continued to apply consistent pressure and strong run defense.

IMO, a big part of the reason that we really have to make a run this year is because I'm not entirely sure we'll ever have the two of them playing together again

Archived