Does Mike Tomlin get fired if Steelers miss the playoffs?

Blackstar12

He tends to have good control of the locker room, has winning teams, and seems to be well-respected around the league.  He has also never had a losing season and is 8-7 in the playoffs.  Plus, the Rooneys do not get rid of coaches very quickly.  

I can't see a situation where he gets let go.  Who do you bring in that is better?

I think this is a very different situation than MM in GB.  MM was losing the locker room(or at least Rodgers) and it was evident that his offensive scheme and game planning were behind the rest of the league.  

I know Tomlin makes bad decisions like all coaches, but is he regularly outcoached?  Or does he just suffer from the occasional 3 INT game from Ben?

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

He tends to have good control of the locker room, has winning teams, and seems to be well-respected around the league.  He has also never had a losing season and is 8-7 in the playoffs.  Plus, the Rooneys do not get rid of coaches very quickly.  

I can't see a situation where he gets let go.  Who do you bring in that is better?

I think this is a very different situation than MM in GB.  MM was losing the locker room(or at least Rodgers) and it was evident that his offensive scheme and game planning were behind the rest of the league.  

I know Tomlin makes bad decisions like all coaches, but is he regularly outcoached?  Or does he just suffer from the occasional 3 INT game from Ben?

Hard to be out coached when you don't manage either side of the ball.. 

Just now, warfelg said:

Sorry there's no sarcasm font.  Doesn't mean you need to respond like this.

It wasn't meant to offend you and I don't use sarcasm font. Especially for obvious ones like that. 

The discussions about coaching staffs on this forum are hilarious most of the time. According to alot of people on this forum there is only one good coach in the entire league and the rest are easily expendable and can be found overnight because it works in fantasy football or video games. 

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Pretty sure Mike McCarthy has won a SB, against Tomlin, and threads about him being fired before he actually was were definitely made.

This attempted accusation of racism makes you kind of pathetic. 

Did Mike McCarthy have the second highest winning percentage of any active coach?

Mike Tomlin consistently wins at a level no other NFL coach not named Bill Belichek surpasses.  For him to be on the hot seat is a joke.  Comparing him to McCarthy is simply not valid.  Tomlin won at a higher level.

18 hours ago, tom cody said:

I think this season will mark the beginning of the end for the Steelers. Guys like Big Ben are getting older. Got to think some decisions get made if the Steelers miss the playoffs. 

We actually aren't that old outside of Ben. Sure guys like AB and most of our line is around 30 but that's not so old that play is declining just yet or that they need to be replaced immediately, We have about 4 years or so with most of this group still together.

The only problem is that those 4 years are gonna be filled with the death of Ben's career, and either the growing pains of a new starter, or the ineptitude of a career backup, plus a terrible defense.

18 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like the Steelers are in the same spot as the Packers were with Mike McCarthy. Tomlin and McCarthy both seem to have run their course for being an effective HC in their current (and former) situations. Doesn't mean they won't be successful elsewhere. I just can't help but wonder if Big Ben needs to be energized in the same way Rodgers needed it with McCarthys firing. Ultimately, I dont think Tomlin survives in a post Big Ben era in Pittsburgh. Will see who lasts longer.

There's a slight difference between McCarthy's situation and Tomlin's.

Tomlin has never had a below .500 season, and McCarthy was on his way to his third this year (although Tomlin might get his first this year).

Tomlin's past three years have been 13-3 lost divisional round, 11-5 lost AFC championship, 10-6 lost divisional round.

McCarthy's past three years have been 7-9 missed playoffs, 10-6 lost NFC championship, 10-6 lost divisional round.

Ben has no apparent problem with Tomlin.

Tomlin hasn't lost the team just yet, he will likely be allowed to play out the rest of his contract and then retire or take another job somewhere else.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Did Mike McCarthy have the second highest winning percentage of any active coach?

Mike Tomlin consistently wins at a level no other NFL coach not named Bill Belichek surpasses.  For him to be on the hot seat is a joke.  Comparing him to McCarthy is simply not valid.  Tomlin won at a higher level.

For you to be a member of this site is a joke. Your knowledge of football is underwhelming. If you actually believe anything youre saying, youre an idiot.

18 hours ago, topwop1 said:

moving on from Big Ben, Bell and AB than it is that Tomlin is let go.

Yeah they should totally move on from probably the greatest Steeler since the 70's dynasty who they have signed for the next 3 years for an average of $14M a year in cap hit regardless.

12 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Uh, no? He's a fantastic coach.

He is but he could honestly be so much better. The mistakes he makes are really dumb ones. He/his FO built the most talented offense in the league and he let Haley ruin it's prime, he consistently lets his team play down to opponents and this is something that has to fall back on coaching/the culture coaches establish, and his defenses over the past several years have been extremely consistent for letting teams come back and score late in games, and yet he still hasn't learned to manage the clock around it.

There's no reason he shouldn't have been widely regarded as the second best HC behind BB for the past 10 years.

Archived