Does Mike Tomlin get fired if Steelers miss the playoffs?

Blackstar12

On 12/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

I quite like him, but fantastic? 

Did you hear him defending his decision not to call the time out the other day?  "He'd rather have it on his own possession", or words to that affect, but Had Tomlin used a timeout there, then the Raiders threw back-to-back incompletions, as was the case, Pittsburgh could’ve gotten the ball back with about 50 seconds left. All coaches make error (ha...BB vs Miami 3 days ago)  but I think the clock management is a persisting issue, and great coaches don't have that, in my book.

Also, the "flow of the game" justification for keeping Ben off was awful. The flow of the game was 2 punts and turnover. 

A worrisome stat: Since 2007 NFL road favorites by 10 points or more are 60-11, Tomlin has 4 of those 11. This shows how badly his teams play down to lesser opponents.

Again, I do like him, his team represents a significant danger to my team - but he aint special. Top 5-10 somewhere. 

Except it has worked for him. I don't like the way he does it but he trusts his offense more than his defense in that situation and in the Mike Tomlin era it has worked out more often than not so that's a terrible argument. At least the playing down to competition argument is a valid argument. But the "he doesn't do it like some of the greats" argument is a bad one.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:49 AM, THE DUKE said:

Mike Tomlin is the Alex Smith of the coaching world.  Very capable, generally won't be an active detriment to the team, but he's not elevating anybody either.  As long as there is elite talent around him, they are a contender.  Tomlin got his super bowl with a loaded roster and the early years of a HoF QB.  They've been competitive year in and year out because of said HoF QB and elite talent.

It's funny because from 2009-2013 this very forum claimed the Steelers dind't have elite talent. It's crazy how the Steelers have somehow managed to have this "elite talent" only when evaluating Tomlin.

On 13/12/2018 at 10:37 PM, BlaqOptic said:

Except it has worked for him. I don't like the way he does it but he trusts his offense more than his defense in that situation and in the Mike Tomlin era it has worked out more often than not so that's a terrible argument. At least the playing down to competition argument is a valid argument. But the "he doesn't do it like some of the greats" argument is a bad one.

If you think pointing out how poor his clock management can be is a bad argument, then go ahead. Enjoy the rest of them. 

Conveniently missed the part where I said he's probably top-5 coach, but that's you all over. 

51 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If you think pointing out how poor his clock management can be is a bad argument, then go ahead. Enjoy the rest of them. 

Conveniently missed the part where I said he's probably top-5 coach, but that's you all over. 

No, I'm pointing out the part where you blatantly ignore where that technique has worked more often for him than not. It's like criticizing Belichick for going for it on 4th and 1 when he's succeeded at it more often than not.

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Wow looks like the Steelers will miss the playoffs with a Ravens and Titans victory. Would be one of the biggest meltdowns in recent history. LeVeon might have the last laugh afterall, especially if he gets paid. 

Bell lost out on a shot at $14m and a potential SB run.   Doesnt really have much to laugh about.

Yes, we are very weak at RB now after losing Conner, but our OC doesnt really like to run anyway, so I dont really know how much impact Bell wouldve had in our losses.

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Bell lost out on a shot at $14m and a potential SB run.   Doesnt really have much to laugh about.

Yes, we are very weak at RB now after losing Conner, but our OC doesnt really like to run anyway, so I dont really know how much impact Bell wouldve had in our losses.

Not only that, who’s to say Conner breaks out. Because Tomlin prefers top back and not RBBC. 

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Maybe he's your problem...

2 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

fire another offensive coordinator that has one of the greatest offensive talents in recent history? idk maybe the problem ISN'T the OC.

I know who is the problem, but it's crazy to have that oline, and not pound the rock to give your defense a break. 

Archived