2019 Coaching Outlook: Your Opinion

theJ

Bengals 2019 Coaching: What happens?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What happens in 2019?

• Marvin Lewis remains the Bengals head coach
    • Marvin Lewis steps down or is fired - Hue Jackson hired
    • Marvin Lewis steps down or is fired - external hire

Taking a formal poll so we can look back later and see who was right and who was just thinking wishfully.

I want your opinion on what you think will happen with the Bengals coaching situation in 2019.  Not what you hope will happen.  I'll add options if someone comes up with something i didn't think of.

I believe Marvin will be the head coach till he’s not. I mean there’s no rational thought process that determines it either way from Mike Brown. If he hasn’t been gone yet, why would he now? One would have to think Mike Brown sees the empty seats and comments. I’d say 4/5 of the fan base are at a breaking point. 

7 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I believe Marvin will be the head coach till he’s not. I mean there’s no rational thought process that determines it either way from Mike Brown. If he hasn’t been gone yet, why would he now? One would have to think Mike Brown sees the empty seats and comments. I’d say 4/5 of the fan base are at a breaking point. 

I think the rational thought process is the one you laid out in the last two sentences.  We know Mike Brown gives winning lip service.  But we also know that he cares about his money.  Those empty seats and lost revenue aren't good for a franchise of this size, and he knows that the only way they fill seats is by turning over the coach staff.

I think they pull a shocker and let him go the day after the season.  Maybe it's a "joint decision" or some BS, but either way i think he's gone.

And i don't think they go with Hue, either.  But i'm not quite as confident with that prediction.  The only reason i don't think they do, is because of what i said in the first paragraph.

Most of those empty seats mean nothing.  They are paid for.  I still go to games this year because I can't get rid of them.  They sent out a season ticket holder survey last week.  There were two questions that tell me they are listening.  One was are you happy with the direction of the team.  The other was how likely are you to renew.  I put a 5/10, and that I was waiting to see what happens in January with Marvin and then March with free agency.  they aren't getting early money from me.

I think Marvin stays, Hue is promoted to OC, Lazor goes, and if Joseph gets pink slipped in Denver, he gets the DC job.  I could also see Marvin moving upstairs to make room for a guy like McCarthy, Coughlin, or some other guy that Marvin is close to.  I would be oddly intrigued if Marvin stepped down to DC to make McCarthy a reality if Joseph keeps his job.  As weird as that sounds, i think it could actually work.

9 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I mean there’s no rational thought process that determines it either way from Mike Brown. If he hasn’t been gone yet, why would he now?

I know we've been groomed to expect disaster, but that's illogically pessimistic - even for Bengals fan standards. Using that logic Marvin Lewis will be our HC until he dies. 

The straw that breaks the camels back has to come at some point. My guess is this year. I'd say it's 85%-15% he's fired.

49 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I think he's leaving after the season.  Hue Jackson will not be the next head coach.  I just hope that the next head coach also has the ability to get rid of the curse of Hue Jackson from this organization...

If Marvin leaves, and they made a run at McCarthy, I can see Van Pelt promoted to OC, with Hue being the QB coach.

5 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I don't know what to make of MM.  He had some dumb play calling on 3rd downs, which went away after he left...

Stipulate that he absolutely can't be the OC or a head coach calling the plays.  Let Hue and/or Van Pelt do it.  It's all a moot point anyway.  Marvin probably stays for one more.  This was a two year plan anyway.  We just got excited after the hot start until Eifert went down, then several other key cogs followed.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

Do we need to make another pole at whether or not Hue Jackson is our HC next year?

I'd put that at about 80%/20% that it's going to happen.

I wouldn't put anything past the stupidity/cheapness of Mike Brown, but this ain't happening.  Just last week, Bucky Brooks was talking about this, but he also said Marvin would move into the FO for the Bengals and Hue takes over as HC.  Marvin has already stated the Bengals have Duke Tobin in that position, so he would do it elsewhere once he's done coaching.

The media is legitimately just making up crap and acting like they have 'sources'...

Archived