The Official Thread of the Transfer Portal

naptownskinsfan

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The NCAA just needs to do away with the sitting a year after you transfer crap. Let them play immediately. You aren't worried about your coaches jettisoning a school after a season but heaven forbid the players do it.

Agree with this.  While there needs to be some way to prevent free agency from occurring, if a player transfers, they should be eligible to play immediately.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Agree with this.  While there needs to be some way to prevent free agency from occurring, if a player transfers, they should be eligible to play immediately.  

Disagree. These teams have 105 man rosters with 25+ scholarships a year. Up that to 30 scholarships and the transferring "free agency" no longer matters. It's not like depth is the problem here.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Disagree. These teams have 105 man rosters with 25+ scholarships a year. Up that to 30 scholarships and the transferring "free agency" no longer matters. It's not like depth is the problem here.

Ok, I can see that as well.  Shame that none of this will happen in the short-term.  

Former USC 5* CB Jack Jones, who played the past season at the juco level, will be playing for Arizona State and is immediately eligible to play, with two more seasons left. 

Well now we have the latest entry into the USC secondary ledger in the form of Jack Jones. The former five-star recruit was dismissed from the team in 2017 after academic and off the field issues chased him from Los Angeles to a junior college. Now it appears he’ll be suiting up for Pac-12 South rival Arizona State.

247Sports says that Jones has been admitted to school and is the second highest rated recruit to ever suit up for the Sun Devils. He is expected to play right away in 2019 and have two years of eligibility left.

Jones started at USC in 2017 and recorded a team-high four picks to go along with his 40 tackles. The former top recruit winding up in Tempe shouldn’t be too much of a surprise given that his former high school coach, ex-NFLer Antonio Pierce, is ASU’s linebackers coach under Herm Edwards nowadays. 

Read More: https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/15/dismissed-from-usc-former-five-star-db-jack-jones-lands-at-arizona-state/

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Former USC 5* CB Jack Jones, who played the past season at the juco level, will be playing for Arizona State and is immediately eligible to play, with two more seasons left. 

Wow, honestly I never thought he would be back in the game after that Panda express incident.  Will be curious to see how he looks, as a freshman on USC he was easily one of the top players in his class at the position by far, will see if he still has it or not.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 1:22 PM, beekay414 said:

The NCAA just needs to do away with the sitting a year after you transfer crap. Let them play immediately. You aren't worried about your coaches jettisoning a school after a season but heaven forbid the players do it.

For the most part, I'd agree with this sentiment.  But my fear is that you're essentially going to have coaches poach players away from programs.  There's got to be some level of restriction.  IF you're transferring within conference or someone on your upcoming schedule, you're required to sit out the year.  Doesn't apply to grad transfers obviously.

16 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

5 days before the first game, NCAA grants Aubrey Solomon immediate eligibility. Kinda shocked between the rash of bad news plaguing the Vols last few weeks and Harbaugh’s moaning about transfers. 

Jim Harbaugh is the first major head coach (to my knowledge) to advocate for players to be allowed one free transfer without sitting out. I wouldn’t call that moaning.