Free Agents

Lil' Shorty

I mean let’s see what Honey Badger wants but most new coaches bring in their old players to a degree when making a culture shift. Gotta have guys on the ground already bought in. In today’s NFL, daddies that are thumpers really don’t have as much of a place. You need 2 guys that can cover. Evans and Mathieu aren’t big but they can both play the run and are rangy cover guys. I’d think that would allow for some schematic advantages and disguised coverages.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I mean let’s see what Honey Badger wants but most new coaches bring in their old players to a degree when making a culture shift. Gotta have guys on the ground already bought in. In today’s NFL, daddies that are thumpers really don’t have as much of a place. You need 2 guys that can cover. Evans and Mathieu aren’t big but they can both play the run and are rangy cover guys. I’d think that would allow for some schematic advantages and disguised coverages.

It should've happened last year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Surprised to learn Honey Badger will only be 27.  I wonder if we ll aee more of a 3 safety look in nickel then 3 CBs.  Maybe Honey Bader more in the slot CB position which allows him to blitz or cover.

I agree HCs like to bring in their guys to help set the culture.  I like Whitehead a lot, I hope there is a place for him in the new defense.  He is really aggressive and can cover, I think Bowles is going to like him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Surprised to learn Honey Badger will only be 27.  I wonder if we ll aee more of a 3 safety look in nickel then 3 CBs.  Maybe Honey Bader more in the slot CB position which allows him to blitz or cover.

I agree HCs like to bring in their guys to help set the culture.  I like Whitehead a lot, I hope there is a place for him in the new defense.  He is really aggressive and can cover, I think Bowles is going to like him.

Few things. First off, just realized my initial post on this topic auto corrected “safeties” to “daddies” so there’s that 😂😂😂 Second, Arians said something like 70% of defense is run in nickel now a days anyway when discussing 3-4 or 4-3 so take that as you will. I could see us with 3 safety nickel packages to get Whitehead involved. If we get Mathieu then we only need to lock down one other vet CB and the secondary is set imo. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Few things. First off, just realized my initial post on this topic auto corrected “safeties” to “daddies” so there’s that 😂😂😂 Second, Arians said something like 70% of defense is run in nickel now a days anyway when discussing 3-4 or 4-3 so take that as you will. I could see us with 3 safety nickel packages to get Whitehead involved. If we get Mathieu then we only need to lock down one other vet CB and the secondary is set imo. 

I think they move VH III back outside in this defense.  He plays a lot better playing closer to the LOS.  I m not sure they ll be able to spend money on honey badger, kwon, and then a vet CB that has a resume.  Even with cutting GMC, Curry, Unrein and Gholston.  Rough guess they would sign a dlinemen and then some combo of 2 of the 3 I mentioned above.  My guess is they do bring in a true 3-4 NT, I see Vea playing 3 diifferent spots on the dline-1, 3, and 5 technique.  

19 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I think they move VH III back outside in this defense.  He plays a lot better playing closer to the LOS.  I m not sure they ll be able to spend money on honey badger, kwon, and then a vet CB that has a resume.  Even with cutting GMC, Curry, Unrein and Gholston.  Rough guess they would sign a dlinemen and then some combo of 2 of the 3 I mentioned above.  My guess is they do bring in a true 3-4 NT, I see Vea playing 3 diifferent spots on the dline-1, 3, and 5 technique.  

Yeah I forget this is reality and not Madden sometimes. Ha. The cool think about a new staff is we may have better players at positions that we thought and may not need the overhaul we initially thought. I’d agree that with a 3-4 shift, it would make logical sense to add a DL that’s played in that with some level of success. I’d prefer Vea not be the NT. BA is on record saying he feels the OL needs work (Auman tweet I think) so unless we are going all out draft on the OL, money in FA is going there as well. Only so much to go around...

• Like 1

Yep, im definitely excited to see what we can do with a new Scheme/coordinator on D.  Its going to be great to see an aggressive defense.  Also although I think Mathieu isn't great/overrated I still think he would be an upgrade and we could run some nice 3 safety/big nickel which would be cool Evans, Whitehead, Mathieu.  I am sure everyone saw this week when Chargers ran it almost exclusively to shut down Lamar Jackson.  It was awesome to see Gus Bradley actually make some adjustments and hopefully we will be seeing that next year as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, indifference said:

Call me crazy but I think we should wait and see what we have in RoJo. With this team moving to a ZBS this scheme suits his running style. Guy is a home run hitter but we need to create lanes for him. 

For this reason along it may make more sense to sign a Spencer Ware instead of a Tevin Coleman, Ingram or Bell who will command a top contract. AP did play with BA in AZ... RoJo could be the change of pace. I just don’t know what BA thinks of Barber.

7 minutes ago, indifference said:

Call me crazy but I think we should wait and see what we have in RoJo. With this team moving to a ZBS this scheme suits his running style. Guy is a home run hitter but we need to create lanes for him. 

I agree that we shouldn't give up on him. But I don't wanna assume he's gonna figure it out either. I'd rather have too many good RBs by signing/drafting someone than have a repeat of 2018.

4 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

For this reason along it may make more sense to sign a Spencer Ware instead of a Tevin Coleman, Ingram or Bell who will command a top contract. AP did play with BA in AZ... RoJo could be the change of pace. I just don’t know what BA thinks of Barber.

A top RB contract is like $6M. I'm not worried about paying an Ingram or whoever. The older guys will probably get closer to $4M.

Are we not trying to be CANCER FREE here? Forget the Perrias' in the locker room. Bell is more of a headache than MESEAN. GET RID of these jerks! The Honey Badger and CJ Mosley would really be ideal. We need to have another Vet LB in case we are not at 100% ++. I love our LB core but they GOTTA BE HEALTHY (Looking as you BECKWITH, maybe no joy riding this summer....) Our Defense really strugged and gave up WAY to many yards.  I know it all starts up front but It's a deep defensive draft. We need to bolster BOTH of our lines in this draft.