War's 2019 Offseason plan

warfelg

Ok, so even when things were good this year I had a gut feeling of something going wrong.  This team just isn't constructed all that well to be honest.  So in a yearly tradition for me:  Here's the War offseason dream!

CAP LIABILITIES: $180,009,810

CUTS -

Going to start with some easy ones in my opinion.  

Gilbert - $4,915,103

Burnett - $3,633,332

Burns - $1,757,862

Bostic - $1,800,000

CAP LIABILITIES: $167,903,513

PROJECTED CAP - $188,000,000

SPACE: $20,096,487

SPACE PLUS ROLLOVER SPACE: $39,096,487

EXTENSIONS -

BJ Finney RFA $600,000

Matt Feiler ERFA $550,000

Mike Hilton ERFA $550,000

Maurkice Pouncey - Ok so this one is in in vein of lowering his salary cap hit.  A 3 year $33,000,000 extension where the current salary is restructured into it to create a 4 year deal where year 1 is reduced to $6,000,000 saving $1,951,000.  The point here is to offset the RFA/ERFA contracts to maintain the cap space that's been created.

I don't have any other extensions at this time.

FREE AGENTS -

Ok so I'm not going to put any dollar signs to that now, but I have a list of names right now:

Kareem Jackson - A good corner who may be helped at times by the pass rush but he's got ball skills and can play press, off, or zone.

Anthony Barr - I have been pounding the table for him.  He's a mistfit in Minny, but needs a fresh start being used to rush the passer.

Philip Dorsett - Fast and can take the top off coverage

Deone Bucannon - Should have been traded for and he's a similar size and build to Shazier and can bring the athleticism back.

Bruce Irvin - Not a great individual pass rusher but a team rusher.

Bene Benwikere - Good corner depth.

DRAFT - 

Projecting us to have pick 17 as of right now and how I think the season will finish so:
Round 1 Pick 17 - Greedy Williams CB LSU - Amazing mirroring abilities, great at playing the ball in the air.  Good size as well.

Round 2 Pick 17 - Bryce Love RB Stanford - Another year, another player with an injury filled final year in college that falls to us at a good place.

Round 3 Pick 17 - Kendall Willekes OLB/DE MSU - A terror off the edge and playing well this year. He's a true tweener but if you use him the right way he can have an impact.

Round 4 Pick 17 - CJ Conrad TE Kentucky

Round 6 Giants Pick - Charles Omenihu DE Texas

Round 6 Pick 17 -Alec Eberle OC FSU

Round 7 Pick 17 - Azeez Al-Shaair ILB FAU

I like it, but a few things...

1) Who is replacing Bostic?   He isnt that great, but not sure we have anything to replace him with, and ILB doesnt look great in either FA or the draft.

2) Ben IMO will be extended 2 years.    If he isnt, I think that could be an indication there is trouble in paradise, and that Ben might be looking to sign elsewhere to finish his career.   That, or he is considering retiring.   Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

3) For Burns, I dont mind that cut, but I really think they will at least allow him to compete in the preseason for a depth job.    If we had more talent/potential, I would say cut immediately, but given the lack of talent at CB, I think they will at least let him compete for a job.

4) Not a fan of RB in the 2nd round...at all.   However, if he is by far the best value, I could deal with it.

5) Safety still looks to be a glaring need....but with Davis being decent at times and Edmunds still a raw developing project, I doubt its a high priority. 

6) What would you do in terms of coaches?   Any changes?

7) You think there is any chance we ask a guy like Haden to take a pay cut?   He has been decent at times and is definitely our best CB, but still a bit overpaid IMO.   I doubt it myself, but its not out of the realm of possibility. 

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I like it, but a few things...

1) Who is replacing Bostic?   He isnt that great, but not sure we have anything to replace him with, and ILB doesnt look great in either FA or the draft.

2) Ben IMO will be extended 2 years.    If he isnt, I think that could be an indication there is trouble in paradise, and that Ben might be looking to sign elsewhere to finish his career.   That, or he is considering retiring.   Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

3) For Burns, I dont mind that cut, but I really think they will at least allow him to compete in the preseason for a depth job.    If we had more talent/potential, I would say cut immediately, but given the lack of talent at CB, I think they will at least let him compete for a job.

4) Not a fan of RB in the 2nd round...at all.   However, if he is by far the best value, I could deal with it.

5) Safety still looks to be a glaring need....but with Davis being decent at times and Edmunds still a raw developing project, I doubt its a high priority. 

6) What would you do in terms of coaches?   Any changes?

7) You think there is any chance we ask a guy like Haden to take a pay cut?   He has been decent at times and is definitely our best CB, but still a bit overpaid IMO.   I doubt it myself, but its not out of the realm of possibility. 

1) Deone Buchannon replaces Bostic. Moving out a slow thumper for a hybrid fast cover LB. 

2)  I considered that, but I’m not sure how to structure. Add 2 and restructure the money? Two New Years and no restructure?

3) I don’t see the need to keep him. Jackson and Benewikere replace Burns and Sensebaugh. Add in Hilton, Haden, Sutton and there isn’t the room. Maybe keep him as a camp body. 

4) Best value, and if Conner is the answer moving forward we need a change of pace to him. Bryce love is a faster back with better burst that can play on the edges. I’m projecting him to be a James White type back. 

5) Counting on Edmunds to develop and Davis not to regress. 

6) I’ll make another post from the computer about coaches. 

7) I think our ammo to ask Haden to take a pay cut it pretty low. Maybe we can extend two years and reduce the hit from $10 mil to $6-7mil. P

Does dupree get the 5th year option?

Why not extend Haden?

Davis not to regress? He should be replaced, a depth player and that's it. We need a Safety, Landon Collins or Matthieu perhaps. A legit Pro ready "to start day 1". 

More important, what scheme and coaches will nee here, who do you want? This will determine the what players we need on D.

I don't think I watch next year if these coaches/regime are here. There needs to be major changes,  the team has been lost. I hope tomlin goes to the bungles more than anything. Him and butler, but I can't see butler getting a job in the nfl again as a DC. Maybe he was good as a LB coach, but not DC that much we know. 

How about:

S Collins/Matthieu. Burnett made a great play in the end zone, but 1 play a season is a reason I can see you cutting him. He can't stay healthy, colbert failed again here

CB - Jenkins or other similar pro

Is this possible with our cap situation  and other needs?  To me , the team has so many issue on D that I can see most having LB or DB help the most as well as UFA. I don' like our Edge either, what a puzzle colbert has made.

Ok @FourThreeMafia, the coaching question:

They changed quite a few things, but not quite the right things.  They shook up some things (DL) and it's working, and other things (DB) isn't working.  So it's clear they need another shakeup.  So here's my coaching shakeup:

~Defensive Coordinator, Keith Butler is out.  Every time I think of him, I can't help but think of this scene:

I was anti-Butler from the start, so it should be no shock to anyone that I want him out.  Personally I would keep an eye on Dan Quinn in Atlanta. He's a bust as a Head Coach, but he was a good defensive coordinator.  I think his system was 3-4 principals in a 4-3 packaging, and now Tomlin has 4-3 principals in a 3-4 package.  These two working together can really put together something special IMO.  

I would keep out DL coach, and that's about it.

At LB coach, Porter would be out.  I'm doing what it takes to get Kevin Greene in the house.  He's got a list of guys he's developed now at Keuchley, Davis, Thompson, Matthews, Ryan, Blake.  Those are some varied draft position and talent guys that he's gotten to the top levels.  Under him I call Farrior and gauge interest in him becoming a coach, a smart player who knew opposing offenses really well.

For DB coach, I got my eye on DB Coach/Assistant Defensive coach in Minnesota Jeff Howard.  I love Bradley, but he stayed coaching college for this long for a reason.  Jeff Howard is a rising name in the NFL, and someone I suspect would get a defensive coordinator job quickly.

In the offseason, I would gauge it Dungy and Rex Ryan would sign on as consultants to help the staff develop.

Offensively, I would keep things rather the same, but I would change some titles and structure.  I would find out if Mike Shanahan would help us in terms of guidance for Randy Fitchner.  Helping him understand the flow of the game, improve the run game.  Mike Manchuck would be promoted to Assistant Head Coach/OL Coach/Running game Coordinator.  I think offensively, this group isn't that big of an issue and just needs to guidance rather than overahaul.

Front Office:

Colbert is out, promote Omar Khan to President of Football Operations.  Let him lead up the whole thing.  Joe Douglas becomes the GM/Vice President of Football Operations.  He would be an outside hire.  He's the current head scout of the Philadelphia Eagles.

44 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Does dupree get the 5th year option?

Why not extend Haden?

Davis not to regress? He should be replaced, a depth player and that's it. We need a Safety, Landon Collins or Matthieu perhaps. A legit Pro ready "to start day 1". 

More important, what scheme and coaches will nee here, who do you want? This will determine the what players we need on D.

I don't think I watch next year if these coaches/regime are here. There needs to be major changes,  the team has been lost. I hope tomlin goes to the bungles more than anything. Him and butler, but I can't see butler getting a job in the nfl again as a DC. Maybe he was good as a LB coach, but not DC that much we know. 

How about:

S Collins/Matthieu. Burnett made a great play in the end zone, but 1 play a season is a reason I can see you cutting him. He can't stay healthy, colbert failed again here

CB - Jenkins or other similar pro

Is this possible with our cap situation  and other needs?  To me , the team has so many issue on D that I can see most having LB or DB help the most as well as UFA. I don' like our Edge either, what a puzzle colbert has made.

It’s already been picked up. I’m just not dropping it, rather bringing in a better 3rd option as we could rotate out players more often. 

I addressed why not extending Haden.

Collins and Matthieu are going to cost way too much. Davis is still on a rookie contract and you are letting 1 play a game override the advancements he has made this year. We can’t have all pro’s everywhere on this team. At some spots you got to have average players, it’s all about how you play with them. I’ve watched enough all-22 to realize the issue isn’t safety play, it’s DB play. Edmunds and Davis are constantly covering up for the mistakes by CBs and LBs not named Joe Haden, and at the Joe has lost a step. They are stretched too thin, and I want to see what they can do with better coverage helping.

I put forth the scheme, a 4-3 over with Cover-2 shell running man concepts. That actually allows us to continue to run the 3-4 front with the personnel we have, it’s not a full switch to a 4-3, but it runs similar to one. The cover 2 shell with man concepts would allow us to man up on the outside while zoning the inside of the field, masking the lack of athleticism. 

Covered the Collins/Matthieu thing. If we get them, then we aren’t getting anyone else that can start. That’s a waste of money and resources because it still keeps us weak. Better off getting a bunch of average to above average guys and a new DC who will call a different game and sub out more.

If you want Jenkins over Jackson you aren’t watching football. Jenkins is going to be best moved to FS next year, as he is toast as a cover guy. Jackson still has it going, and is quite possibly underrated. Great ball skills too.

The defense under this direction (with new coaching) would line up:

Tuitt - Hargrave - Hayward

Dupree (On line in wide 9) - Williams - Buchannon - Watt

Williams (Benewikere) - Davis - Edmunds - Haden (Jackson)

NCB: Hilton/Jackson

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ok @FourThreeMafia, the coaching question:

They changed quite a few things, but not quite the right things.  They shook up some things (DL) and it's working, and other things (DB) isn't working.  So it's clear they need another shakeup.  So here's my coaching shakeup:

~Defensive Coordinator, Keith Butler is out.  Every time I think of him, I can't help but think of this scene:

I was anti-Butler from the start, so it should be no shock to anyone that I want him out.  Personally I would keep an eye on Dan Quinn in Atlanta. He's a bust as a Head Coach, but he was a good defensive coordinator.  I think his system was 3-4 principals in a 4-3 packaging, and now Tomlin has 4-3 principals in a 3-4 package.  These two working together can really put together something special IMO.  

I would keep out DL coach, and that's about it.

At LB coach, Porter would be out.  I'm doing what it takes to get Kevin Greene in the house.  He's got a list of guys he's developed now at Keuchley, Davis, Thompson, Matthews, Ryan, Blake.  Those are some varied draft position and talent guys that he's gotten to the top levels.  Under him I call Farrior and gauge interest in him becoming a coach, a smart player who knew opposing offenses really well.

For DB coach, I got my eye on DB Coach/Assistant Defensive coach in Minnesota Jeff Howard.  I love Bradley, but he stayed coaching college for this long for a reason.  Jeff Howard is a rising name in the NFL, and someone I suspect would get a defensive coordinator job quickly.

In the offseason, I would gauge it Dungy and Rex Ryan would sign on as consultants to help the staff develop.

Offensively, I would keep things rather the same, but I would change some titles and structure.  I would find out if Mike Shanahan would help us in terms of guidance for Randy Fitchner.  Helping him understand the flow of the game, improve the run game.  Mike Manchuck would be promoted to Assistant Head Coach/OL Coach/Running game Coordinator.  I think offensively, this group isn't that big of an issue and just needs to guidance rather than overahaul.

Front Office:

Colbert is out, promote Omar Khan to President of Football Operations.  Let him lead up the whole thing.  Joe Douglas becomes the GM/Vice President of Football Operations.  He would be an outside hire.  He's the current head scout of the Philadelphia Eagles.

I agree with or can get behind most of this, but a few things caught me off guard.

Its hard to really knock on Tom Bradley given what he was given to work with.     Haden is his best player in the secondary, and he is just okay.    Beyond that, its a unit full of JAG's at best.    Im not saying he is the answer, but its not like the secondary has gotten worse from last year.     He has really been given a fair shake IMO... but if they moved on, I wouldnt make a huge deal of it.

Im not opposed to replacing Colbert, but I dont think it will happen unless Rooney decides to make a major change, which I dont see....not this offseason, at least.    Much like Tomlin, Colbert is under contract through 2020.    I dont think either him or Tomlin are going anywhere until after 2020, outside of perhaps a huge collapse in 2019.   Either way, I dont see any changes to the head coach or GM this offseason.   Again, though....Im not totally opposed to it.

Butler, Porter and Danny Smith are the three I think HAVE to go this offseason, and also the most realistic given how the Rooney's operate.   Like I said, I could get behind most of these suggestions, but I dont think the Ronney's will make such drastic changes THIS offseason....but you never know.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Not only that he’s not a terrible starter if you only ask him to do certain things. 

Yep, Vinny can blitz. Run blitzes and QB blitzes. He's good at both. His instincts are terrible in coverage and average run stops. If he can aggressively attack a prepared gap, he's good. 

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree with or can get behind most of this, but a few things caught me off guard.

Its hard to really knock on Tom Bradley given what he was given to work with.     Haden is his best player in the secondary, and he is just okay.    Beyond that, its a unit full of JAG's at best.    Im not saying he is the answer, but its not like the secondary has gotten worse from last year.     He has really been given a fair shake IMO... but if they moved on, I wouldnt make a huge deal of it.

Im not opposed to replacing Colbert, but I dont think it will happen unless Rooney decides to make a major change, which I dont see....not this offseason, at least.    Much like Tomlin, Colbert is under contract through 2020.    I dont think either him or Tomlin are going anywhere until after 2020, outside of perhaps a huge collapse in 2019.   Either way, I dont see any changes to the head coach or GM this offseason.   Again, though....Im not totally opposed to it.

Butler, Porter and Danny Smith are the three I think HAVE to go this offseason, and also the most realistic given how the Rooney's operate.   Like I said, I could get behind most of these suggestions, but I dont think the Ronney's will make such drastic changes THIS offseason....but you never know.

Ok so wanted to wait for my computer to completely reboot before I responded to some concerns here:

~I can somewhat agree with the statement that it's hard to knock Tom Bradley, but his secondaries have been like this everywhere.  He's a guy that strikes me as a fine motivator rather than a guy that's a strong coach.  I think the fair shake was getting a shot in the first place.

~The Colbert part....I wouldn't be opposed to them making a change like you, and I don't see it as major if we promote Omar.  Maybe let Colbert buy a stake in ownership.  I was going to take it a step further and use that as a reason to take Rooney's place in the say on things.

~I do agree with all of those, but I don't have a name for replacing Danny Smith.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Not only that he’s not a terrible starter if you only ask him to do certain things. 

I think he's a guy that needs a 50/50 rotation with another quality starter capable player.  He isn't a terrible starter, he's also not a great one.  He isn't the ideal starter and in fact I feel that he is so limited in what he does well that it creates a 'telegraphed' weakness on our defense.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I think he's a guy that needs a 50/50 rotation with another quality starter capable player.  He isn't a terrible starter, he's also not a great one.  He isn't the ideal starter and in fact I feel that he is so limited in what he does well that it creates a 'telegraphed' weakness on our defense.

And I wouldn't disagree.  I like Al-Shaair as a development replacement.  Guy has speed, instincts, and coverage.  Isn't a blitzer, and needs work sorting through traffic along with LOC questions.

Archived