War's 2019 Offseason plan

warfelg

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

One think I keep coming around to reading all of this: we're playing our best players and our best suuuuuuuck.

Honestly, yeah, I guess that's what I'm sort of saying. 

Haden, Watt, Heyward, and Tuitt, (maybe Hargrave).  Those are the guys that I think are truly our best and don't suck.  Dupree is on the fringe of making that list because I do think he has made major strides this year.

I said it last year on Hilton.....his blitzes got him overrated.

As for the Jets LB's.......they suck but they are overacheiving for what they are.

So let me ask you, do you think Kevin Greene (hypothetically) would add anything of value to our staff or do we need to look elsewhere?

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not sure Tomlin shouldn't be fired.  Here's the thing...if Tomlin IS fired, then EVERY COACH on the staff except Mike Munchak should be fired. 

He won't be because of how the Rooney's work.  But if he was fired, I have no clue who I'm looking at to replace him.  And do we then talk Ben into retirement and trade AB and just let a new coach start with a clean slate?

Just now, wwhickok said:

So let me ask you, do you think Kevin Greene (hypothetically) would add anything of value to our staff or do we need to look elsewhere?

I think he can.  I said it on page 1 responding to 43M that I want Greene as the LB coach.  He was solid in Carolina too.

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He won't be because of how the Rooney's work.  But if he was fired, I have no clue who I'm looking at to replace him.  And do we then talk Ben into retirement and trade AB and just let a new coach start with a clean slate?

I absolutely don't trade AB.  No matter what tbh.  But I do consider moving on from Ben.  Regardless of what happens with Tomlin, i feel moving on from Ben needs to be on the "to do" list.  I'm not blaming him for all our offensive problems but he's been a major part of it on that side of the ball.  It's been trending in that direction for a couple seasons now.

I think he can.  I said it on page 1 responding to 43M that I want Greene as the LB coach.  He was solid in Carolina too.

IDK if he'd do it, but am I crazy to think Charles Woodson would make a good Secondary Coach? I mean I know just because a player was really good, doesn't mean he'll translate to a good secondary coach, but he was also a very good leader.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Honestly, yeah, I guess that's what I'm sort of saying. 

Haden, Watt, Heyward, and Tuitt, (maybe Hargrave).  Those are the guys that I think are truly our best and don't suck.  Dupree is on the fringe of making that list because I do think he has made major strides this year.

I think if Haden were put on an island against most #2 WR's, and we bracketed a #1 with anyone, we would see more success.  The issue is that 'anyone' player sucks so much we can't do that.  Like, as I said on page 1, I want Greedy Williams (CB, LSU) in round 1.  So in 2019 we put a rookie Williams on the #1 WR with Edmunds/Davis help, and Haden alone on #2 WR's, and I think the Secondary plays much better.  This is the formula more teams are going to.  The better defender is playing the #2 WR, and you help the #1 WR with the #2 CB.  Easier to take away multiple options that way.

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think if Haden were put on an island against most #2 WR's, and we bracketed a #1 with anyone, we would see more success.  The issue is that 'anyone' player sucks so much we can't do that.  Like, as I said on page 1, I want Greedy Williams (CB, LSU) in round 1.  So in 2019 we put a rookie Williams on the #1 WR with Edmunds/Davis help, and Haden alone on #2 WR's, and I think the Secondary plays much better.  This is the formula more teams are going to.  The better defender is playing the #2 WR, and you help the #1 WR with the #2 CB.  Easier to take away multiple options that way.

I completely agree with all of this!

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I absolutely don't trade AB.  No matter what tbh.  But I do consider moving on from Ben.  Regardless of what happens with Tomlin, i feel moving on from Ben needs to be on the "to do" list.  I'm not blaming him for all our offensive problems but he's been a major part of it on that side of the ball.  It's been trending in that direction for a couple seasons now.

Juju is a #1 WR too which is why I have no problem.  Also we do get significant savings from trading Brown, and if Ben and Mike were out the door, I would trade Brown.  I know it sounds like a hard thing to do, but you got to IMO.

Let's say Jacksonville (Projected 7) or San Francisco (Projected 1) or Detroit (Projected 10) think that they don't need a high pick, they need a WR like Brown.  If they stepped up, offered a top 10 pick, a 3rd, and a 2020 1st; I take that and run if Ben's out the door.  Imagine having 10 and 18.  

Walk out of the draft with Josh Allen and Greedy Williams.  Or maybe you move into the top 5 and get Devin White or Ed Oliver.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

IDK if he'd do it, but am I crazy to think Charles Woodson would make a good Secondary Coach? I mean I know just because a player was really good, doesn't mean he'll translate to a good secondary coach, but he was also a very good leader.

Woodson ain't leaving ESPN to coach.  I laid out a good one there with Minnesota's DB coach.  He's developed some great talent there.

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Juju is a #1 WR too which is why I have no problem.  Also we do get significant savings from trading Brown, and if Ben and Mike were out the door, I would trade Brown.  I know it sounds like a hard thing to do, but you got to IMO.

Let's say Jacksonville (Projected 7) or San Francisco (Projected 1) or Detroit (Projected 10) think that they don't need a high pick, they need a WR like Brown.  If they stepped up, offered a top 10 pick, a 3rd, and a 2020 1st; I take that and run if Ben's out the door.  Imagine having 10 and 18.  

Walk out of the draft with Josh Allen and Greedy Williams.  Or maybe you move into the top 5 and get Devin White or Ed Oliver.

Woodson ain't leaving ESPN to coach.  I laid out a good one there with Minnesota's DB coach.  He's developed some great talent there.

I see your point about Brown.  It would be tough, he is my favorite Steeler right now.  It'd be a hard pill to swallow.  The other thing I'm not in favor of, which I know why you suggested it because frankly it's likely to happen, but I don't want to see Ben get an extension.

I'd love to have Devin White, but I like the prospects of Josh Allen and Greedy Williams even more.

10 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Nobody is giving us a top 10, a 3rd, and next years 1st for AB. He may be the best in the league, but he’s going to be 31 before next season starts, and Is due $19M next year. If they do jump all over it but I don’t see that happening. 

Hence it taking a special team. 

Like if Jacksonville thinks that with a bridge QB and Brown they are a Super Bowl team, I can see them valuing that.  If San Fran doesn't see their pick worth that much to them, and they got massive cap space, I can see them chasing Bell, trading for Brown, and putting us in position to really draft a Ben replacement.

28 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Nobody is giving us a top 10, a 3rd, and next years 1st for AB. He may be the best in the league, but he’s going to be 31 before next season starts, and Is due $19M next year. If they do jump all over it but I don’t see that happening. 

Disagree. After Dallas traded for Amari, yeah, AB is FAR better than him. Someone would line up on AB imo.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Disagree. After Dallas traded for Amari, yeah, AB is FAR better than him. Someone would line up on AB imo.

Cooper is 24, and will be through next years draft. If you draft a wide receiver next year in the first round, he is 2-3 years younger than cooper. That significant as to why they traded a first for cooper. He acts as a draft pick in age. 

I agree on trading brown without Ben (have you seen his stats without Ben?), but I don’t think we get top 10 PLUS more. I think it’s more realistic to get a first (with a mid round potentially) and count your blessings on the cap savings. I don’t think any receiver is worth 2 first, specifically an aging one. Mack is young and creates his own defense. AB is tremendous, but he is older and needs a lot of help from a QB. 

@warfelg I saw your suggestions about signing Barr but am just now able to post on it. I too am a fan of his and do agree he is a better blitzer than how he is being used in minny. But the more i watch him and see how versatile he is I start to understand why they try and use him the way they do. I still think he is miscast as a 43 SAM. He reminds me of a larger version of another miscast 43 SAM that we signed to quarterback our defense and play the 34 BUCK about 15 years ago. What are you thoughts on him playing next to vince. like farrior used to lineup next to foote? Obviously he is not a shazier when it comes to being an athlete but I think he has more than enough chops to be successful and bring a pro bowl potential play back to the  inside. anyways thoughts?

Archived