War's 2019 Offseason plan

warfelg

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Disagree. After Dallas traded for Amari, yeah, AB is FAR better than him. Someone would line up on AB imo.

Maybe jerry will trade for AB? Just kidding, but I wouldn't put it past him. Cooper is working so good, why would he.  I don't like the idea of trading AB, but he could be so pissed that he wants out. I don't trust colbert with the picks , so this is just a bad idea. 

There would be interest for AB, how wouldn't there be especially once they realize AB is still in his prime, he just needs a QB to throw him the ball.  Just don't let him go to the Browns, Chiefs or Pats of course.  I could see him and brady being 20TD's a season and BB laughing on the sidelines at the steelers, maybe wearing his steelers housecoat while he is at it. 

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Disagree. After Dallas traded for Amari, yeah, AB is FAR better than him. Someone would line up on AB imo.

Cooper was traded for a mid 1st rd value,  only has a $411k cap hit this year (13.9M next yr) and is 24 yrs old. Next year is the final year on his contract so if it didn’t work out Dallas could walk away. AB is 31, has roughly 50M and 3 yrs left on his contract, and in this scenario costs you a top 10 pick, a 3rd, and next years 1st which has a good chance of being another top third pick. I just don’t see that happening even though he is much better than Cooper. Think about it this way, a lot of people here wanted us to go after P Peterson, would we be willing to give up 2 firsts and a 3rd to get him? And no matter how bad we finish this season we wouldn’t be picking top 10 either. I could see AB getting us a 1 and 3, but not 2 high 1sts and a 3. That’s why I said I don’t see it happening but would jump all over it. 

So I'm going to put some thoughts and I'm just thinking out loud here I know that I've discussed this and other people have discussed this but I'm going to put it out there.

Bud Dupree needs to be cut in the offseason and before anybody says anything about how I'm not saying it's not going to happen there is no way in hell we can justify paying him more than 9 million dollars a year. My hope would be that they cut him to dissolve that contract and then resign him on a much more team-friendly deal because let's be honest he is not worth a first-round pick and I'm not even sure he's worth anything more than a fourth or fifth round pick at this point in terms of where his level of play is versus the expectations of a first-round pick.

Jon Bostic, Morgan Burnett, Tyler Matakavich, LT Walton, Jordan Dangerfield, Marcus Allen, Nat Behre, Anthony Chickillo, Stevan Ridley, Justin Hunter, DHB, Xavier Grimble all need to be cut as soon as the offseason officially begins. Yes ik some of those guys are UFAs anyway.

Burns needs to be kept for nothing more than Special Teams. 

I also believe that Marcus Gilbert who seems to be constantly injured as of late should be cut to save money because frankly the younger tackles that we have on the team have proven that we don't need him.

Another guy I'm on the fence about is Vance McDonald when he is playing good he is playing great but when he's not playing good he's playing useless and yes I know you can say that about anybody but it's not very often we get a good game from him. The reason I left Xavier Grimble is because of his injury issues and lack of usefulness

42 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Bud Dupree needs to be cut in the offseason and before anybody says anything about how I'm not saying it's not going to happen there is no way in hell we can justify paying him more than 9 million dollars a year. My hope would be that they cut him to dissolve that contract and then resign him on a much more team-friendly deal because let's be honest he is not worth a first-round pick and I'm not even sure he's worth anything more than a fourth or fifth round pick at this point in terms of where his level of play is versus the expectations of a first-round pick.

I'm not willing to commit to cutting Dupree until it's absolutely necessary to cut him, like we drafted or signed someone that's going to replace him.  Until then a 1-year $9mil deal is not the worst thing in the world.

Jon Bostic, Morgan Burnett, Tyler Matakavich, LT Walton, Jordan Dangerfield, Marcus Allen, Nat Behre, Anthony Chickillo, Stevan Ridley, Justin Hunter, DHB, Xavier Grimble all need to be cut as soon as the offseason officially begins. Yes ik some of those guys are UFAs anyway.

The bolded are FA's anyways.  Matakavich, Dangerfield, Behre, Chickillo are productive special teams guys and combined hit the cap for about $2mil.  Allen is developing and barely touched the field so its really unfair to say cut him already.  Bostic and Burnett are the only two I'm in favor of cutting.  Other than that you are thumbing your nose at a lot of cheap depth that can help in some way.

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'm not willing to commit to cutting Dupree until it's absolutely necessary to cut him, like we drafted or signed someone that's going to replace him.  Until then a 1-year $9mil deal is not the worst thing in the world.

The bolded are FA's anyways.  Matakavich, Dangerfield, Behre, Chickillo are productive special teams guys and combined hit the cap for about $2mil.  Allen is developing and barely touched the field so its really unfair to say cut him already.  Bostic and Burnett are the only two I'm in favor of cutting.  Other than that you are thumbing your nose at a lot of cheap depth that can help in some way.

I may be thumbing to know that cheap depth but that cheap gaps only helps on special teams and our special teams is terrible. Bud Dupree in no way shape or form should be getting paid 9 million dollars a year. I'm not in favor of pain in that much I said that earlier in the season and I'm saying that now and I'm telling you right now that if Kevin Kolber and Company pick up the fifth year option on Artie Burns Colbert should be fired

12 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I may be thumbing to know that cheap depth but that cheap gaps only helps on special teams and our special teams is terrible. Bud Dupree in no way shape or form should be getting paid 9 million dollars a year. I'm not in favor of pain in that much I said that earlier in the season and I'm saying that now and I'm telling you right now that if Kevin Kolber and Company pick up the fifth year option on Artie Burns Colbert should be fired

I mean some things on these:
They are depth guys.  Of course they are going to struggle.  But you are creating holes where we don't need them.  Our coverage and return units are actually doing better than they have in the past.  The issues with ST's right now are the individual kickers, not the units.

Dupree - He may 'suck' but you aren't improving on his production for less than he's costing, and again you create a hole and a need to spend money when you don't have to.  Say we sign Barr and draft Josh Allen (because we end up in the right range).  Yea then cutting Dupree makes sense.  But cutting him before you know what you are doing with the position is stupid.  That's exactly what got us in trouble and forced use to draft Burns, Dupree, Jones, Watt, and Edmunds.  We created holes and forced ourselves to have to do something at the position.  We already have enough needs this offseason that we don't need to create another high priority one.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Bud Dupree needs to be cut in the offseason and before anybody says anything about how I'm not saying it's not going to happen there is no way in hell we can justify paying him more than 9 million dollars a year.

I never liked the designation, but he has improved a bit, but still nowhere near $9 because for my 3-4 he isn't a starter. Watt is a starter, but for the $9M we need a real starter that has various ways to defeat the OT, not exclusively speed around the edge or nothing, that doesn't cut it or make the roster as a starter.  If colbert is here, they probably keep him, because colbert wants to keep his players.

agree mostly. Too bad about bostic, a good traditional LB from a few decades ago has no place in the league of 2018 if they can't cover. This is why I am pissed that Thomas hasn't been getting snaps. "see TE, cover him" . How's that for simplifying scheme?

Burns needs to be kept for nothing more than Special Teams. 

expensive for a ST player, they are all over the league, and some are probably better at CB than burns if needed to play CB o.O

I also believe that Marcus Gilbert who seems to be constantly injured as of late should be cut to save money because frankly the younger tackles that we have on the team have proven that we don't need him.

This too, but they might bring in a draft pick again to shore this up. Suspension and injuries can do this to a legit pro bowl calibre player in the salary cap era. I would try to trade him,  but he won't have much if any value if he can't get onto the field this season and play well. 

nother guy I'm on the fence about is Vance McDonald when he is playing good he is playing great but when he's not playing good he's playing useless and yes I know you can say that about anybody but it's not very often we get a good game from him.

I would take the risk and keep VMc , he brings an attitude this team so badly needs. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

if colbert can't find a better replacement for less, than he should get a job at walmart as a greeter.  I would say footlocker, but that one was used a few years ago by kelce :P

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Kevin Kolber and Company pick up the fifth year option on Artie Burns Colbert should be fired

probably would have been fired by now in some organizations anyways, but if this was to happen, it would shock everyone because how would you give the 5th year option to a nST player .  Burns is considered one of the worst CB's in the league, those player don't get the option and if burns is playing CB here next year, none of us are on this forum caring about this team anyways>:(

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I mean some things on these:
They are depth guys.  Of course they are going to struggle.  But you are creating holes where we don't need them.  Our coverage and return units are actually doing better than they have in the past.  The issues with ST's right now are the individual kickers, not the units.

Dupree - He may 'suck' but you aren't improving on his production for less than he's costing, and again you create a hole and a need to spend money when you don't have to.  Say we sign Barr and draft Josh Allen (because we end up in the right range).  Yea then cutting Dupree makes sense.  But cutting him before you know what you are doing with the position is stupid.  That's exactly what got us in trouble and forced use to draft Burns, Dupree, Jones, Watt, and Edmunds.  We created holes and forced ourselves to have to do something at the position.  We already have enough needs this offseason that we don't need to create another high priority one.

The thing is I mean first of all I do agree with what you are saying mostly and it's a fair criticism of my opinion. As far as Dupree I honestly don't think he sucks in with even more time I feel like he can continue to improve however I don't think that he's going to be a starter next season I could be wrong but I just have this feeling he isn't going to be and if he isn't then I feel like 9 million dollars just can't be justified.

Also if we are being bluntly honest what really got us into this position is the fact that we drafted Jarvis Jones who ended up being a bust. We drafted Bud Dupree who for argument's sake is kind of a bust even though he is improving. Then of course the unfortunate injury to Ryan Shazier who was not a bust. We dropped it already been turned who is a bust. We could throw Martavis Bryant in there who was a third round pick who was a bust. And now finally throughout Edmund who I do believe he is going to be a bust based on value solely. So in retrospect we've drafted 5 busts four of them in the first round that were supposed to be significant elements of our team. That is 5 wasted first rounds almost in a row. I can't even begin to explain the detrimental effect that has on a team. I have been critical of Kevin covert in the past and I have backpedaled and defended him and then come back to criticize him and gone back and defended him. If we do not make the playoffs I have already said that I feel Danny Smith Joey Porter and Keith Butler should be fired. Kevin Colbert and anyone who he has hired in The Scouting Department should also be fired.

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

if colbert can't find a better replacement for less, than he should get a job at walmart as a greeter.  I would say footlocker, but that one was used a few years ago by kelce :P

Little exercise here:

Dupree is 52nd in the NFL with 5.5 sacks.  I'm going to take out players on Rookie contracts and give you some of the contracts that sack leaders are playing on right now.

Aaron Donald $22.5 MIL

Von Miller $19 MIL

Danielle Hunter $14.4 MIL

JJ Watt $16.7 MIL

Chandler Jones $16.5 MIL

Cam Jordan $11 MIL

Jason Pierre-Paul $15.5 MIL

Khalil Mack $23.5 MIL

DeMarcus Lawrence $17.143 MIL

Ryan Kerrigan $11.5 MIL

Michael Bennett $10.2 MIL

Calais Champbell $15 MIL

Jurrell Casey $15.1 MIL

Fletcher Cox $17.1 MIL

Cameron Hayward $9.9 MIL

That's the cost of improving on Dupree right now.  Guys making more that are producing less than Dupree right now:

Melvin Ingram

Justin Houston

Tyrone Crawford

Robert Quinn

Cameron Wake

Stephone Tuitt

Ziggy Ansah

Ndamukong Suh

Clay Matthews

Whitney Mercilus

Again that doesn't include rookies.

To me the question comes at producing more and spending less without it being a rookie contract, who exactly is the target.  Because I bet a ton of these guys that I listed that are producing less but making more would be on your dream list of guys that you would want on this team, including Ansah, Houston, Ingram, Mercilus.

If I'm being honest the only guy that you listed it isn't already on our team that I would want is Melvin Ingram who I think could be really really good in our defense but the point you are making is legitimate.

I have I thought it just came to me when somebody else mentioned it sort of wild the aspect I'm trying to alluded to anyway so I'm curious what you guys think about this.

This is sort of getting away from Dupree and honestly getting away from the idea of just replacing people in general but I don't know who the target would be but I feel like it is in the Pittsburgh Steelers best interest to go out and get a veteran player with really strong leadership qualities regardless of how often we can realistically expect that player to be on the field. What I'm saying is I feel like even if there's a guy who would only be on the field six snaps at game on defense hypothetically but it's a really good locker-room presents and provides a really strong leadership attribute to our team I feel like we need to add that in the offseason. I know we have Joe Haden right now I know we have Cam Heyward right now but I really feel like the leadership is absent on defense and I feel like that is an area where we could spend money and quietly improve our defense greatly because of the added leadership I feel like that may not normally be where people spend money is to get a leadership attribute but I feel like that's an area where maybe we need to consider spending money this season regardless of how they're still on the field translates to our defense

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

This is sort of getting away from Dupree and honestly getting away from the idea of just replacing people in general but I don't know who the target would be but I feel like it is in the Pittsburgh Steelers best interest to go out and get a veteran player with really strong leadership qualities regardless of how often we can realistically expect that player to be on the field. What I'm saying is I feel like even if there's a guy who would only be on the field six snaps at game on defense hypothetically but it's a really good locker-room presents and provides a really strong leadership attribute to our team I feel like we need to add that in the offseason. I know we have Joe Haden right now I know we have Cam Heyward right now but I really feel like the leadership is absent on defense and I feel like that is an area where we could spend money and quietly improve our defense greatly because of the added leadership I feel like that may not normally be where people spend money is to get a leadership attribute but I feel like that's an area where maybe we need to consider spending money this season regardless of how they're still on the field translates to our defense

Interesting take.  I would disagree on Haden being a leader.  He's a vet.

I think we do need a leader in the secondary.  A guy like Matthieu, but he would be too expensive.  We need that type of leader that Ryan Clark was.  The guy that knows the game, knows how to direct teammates.  I thought we were getting that in Burnett but we got burned by his health.  But what we need are more guys that 'shut up and play' IMO.  Good players, who know what their role is.  When I think of guys like this I'm thinking of players like Jimmy Smith in Baltimore, CJ Mosley in Baltimore, Justin Houston in Kansas City, Bradley Roby and Chris Harris Jr in Denver.  These are guys who know that their value is in shutting up and just playing.  I feel like we got too many guys who would rather talk and try to be the leader, but don't just play.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Interesting take.  I would disagree on Haden being a leader.  He's a vet.

I think we do need a leader in the secondary.  A guy like Matthieu, but he would be too expensive.  We need that type of leader that Ryan Clark was.  The guy that knows the game, knows how to direct teammates.  I thought we were getting that in Burnett but we got burned by his health.  But what we need are more guys that 'shut up and play' IMO.  Good players, who know what their role is.  When I think of guys like this I'm thinking of players like Jimmy Smith in Baltimore, CJ Mosley in Baltimore, Justin Houston in Kansas City, Bradley Roby and Chris Harris Jr in Denver.  These are guys who know that their value is in shutting up and just playing.  I feel like we got too many guys who would rather talk and try to be the leader, but don't just play.

Speaking of CJ Mosley do you think that there is any chance that he actually hits free agency? And if you do think there's a chance do you think there's any chance in hell that Steelers go after him?

33 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Speaking of CJ Mosley do you think that there is any chance that he actually hits free agency? And if you do think there's a chance do you think there's any chance in hell that Steelers go after him?

I don't think he hits FA, but we absolutely would go in on him if he did.

32 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don't think he hits FA, but we absolutely would go in on him if he did.

Yeah I'll be honest if he did hit free agency my top wish list guys would be CJ Mosley and day on Buchanan and if we only got those two guys out of free agency and nobody else I would be very very pleased

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Also if we are being bluntly honest what really got us into this position is the fact that we drafted Jarvis Jones who ended up being a bust. We drafted Bud Dupree who for argument's sake is kind of a bust even though he is improving. Then of course the unfortunate injury to Ryan Shazier who was not a bust. We dropped it already been turned who is a bust. We could throw Martavis Bryant in there who was a third round pick who was a bust. And now finally throughout Edmund who I do believe he is going to be a bust based on value solely. So in retrospect we've drafted 5 busts four of them in the first round that were supposed to be significant elements of our team. That is 5 wasted first rounds almost in a row. I can't even begin to explain the detrimental effect that has on a team. I have been critical of Kevin covert in the past and I have backpedaled and defended him and then come back to criticize him and gone back and defended him. If we do not make the playoffs I have already said that I feel Danny Smith Joey Porter and Keith Butler should be fired. Kevin Colbert and anyone who he has hired in The Scouting Department should also be fired.

The busts are the epic fail of colbert who has the last say for some reason. He was not a player or coach in the NFL or NCAA so he should stick to the accounting and that's it. Instead, he has  his kid in there and has too much power and we get these epic fails in RD1 among other things. Sure we had gifts in the draft, but his picks often were not up to value.  We did have some bad luck (Gholson) but letting Lewis go and signing cotex allen was a colbert fail.  Our secondary is the biggest problem on D and a close second are the colbert fails on the edge with jarvis and dupree, both aren't starters on m,y 3-4 team, I would trade for a legit starter by now if I was running this team.  Colbert wants to make his picks work, that's part of the problem, so fire him first. 

100% for the bold! 

Archived