Week 15 Titans vs. Giants

KingTitan

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I asked this before the Cowboys and I wouldn't though. 

I don't want Dak leading my franchise. As a stop-gap, sure. Anything more - no. 

I do think Mariota is a little better than him, but the last time I looked at stats they disagreed with that. Hard to say without context for the stats.

Better OL play and Zeke doing Zeke things certainly should've taken some pressure off Dak and given him the opportunity to put up better stats. Haven't personally watched much of the Cowboys other than the MNF game though.

Did pick up Cooper on a whim in a lost cause FF league after the trade though and he's done well since 😁

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

his argument was something that nobody even claimed in the first place. i don't think there's a single person here who would tell you that mariota is absolutely incapable of doing all the things necessary to be a successful QB. the fact the he is unable to do so consistently is borne out by his numbers, and frankly pretty obvious when you watch him play.

Right. To show video evidence for consistency we would need to show an absurd amount of videos. Us showing 3 videos of him holding on to the ball does nothing for our argument.

That's anecdotal evidence in the first place. If I show you five videos of Cam Newton throwing an insanely accurate pass, does that mean he's an accurate passer? 

I respect him using videos to back his argument, but that's not a claim than any of us ever made. We know Mariota CAN do everything a QB needs to do. It's why we all believed in him and blamed Mularkey. The issue is that he doesn't do it with enough consistency.

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

so you cut Dak/Mariota.

what's your next step?

I don't think I explained what I meant. I wouldn't cut either one of them. You have to be able to have someone else. That's why I said I'm fine with him as a stop-gap. 

Ride out his 2019 year and see what happens. Does he improve? Does he look worse? It's better to have the 15th-20th best guy than the 30th.

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Right. To show video evidence for consistency we would need to show an absurd amount of videos. Us showing 3 videos of him holding on to the ball does nothing for our argument.

That's anecdotal evidence in the first place. If I show you five videos of Cam Newton throwing an insanely accurate pass, does that mean he's an accurate passer? 

I respect him using videos to back his argument, but that's not a claim than any of us ever made. We know Mariota CAN do everything a QB needs to do. It's why we all believed in him and blamed Mularkey. The issue is that he doesn't do it with enough consistency.

I believe what he was taking issue with was you saying he can’t do any of the things that he provided video evidence for and took what you said to be literal.

I think we all agree here he needs to be consistent. Some just think he’s already the guy, some are still on the fence, and some are ready to cut bait. 

I'm critical of Mariota, but I've said multiple times he's not going anywhere. I just don't think he's the long-term option that others do. Maybe he improves? I dunno. He's had a lot of the same footwork issues for all 4 years in the NFL.

Don't mistake me being critical of him as saying we need to get rid of him.

I don't like Alex Smith, but the Chiefs had to keep him until they were in a spot to get someone else.

Lewan looks ridiculously good in both of those. His get off on the snap on the inside zone is crazy. 

In the outside zone run you can see where Spain just looks like he might be a little slow for the scheme. His man doesn't end up making the play as he's walled off by other guys, but his feet look slow and he isn't able to get outside his man after chipping.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Lewan looks ridiculously good in both of those. His get off on the snap on the inside zone is crazy. 

In the outside zone run you can see where Spain just looks like he might be a little slow for the scheme. His man doesn't end up making the play as he's walled off by other guys, but his feet look slow and he isn't able to get outside his man after chipping.

Lewan over the last 4 or 5 weeks has finally returned to his all-pro level play based off my observations. He was really struggling at the start of the year, and there was that issue with his foot, maybe that's finally gotten resolved.

Going back to when we acquired Kelly, I have never once felt like a backup played in a starter's spot when he had to fill in. Even filling in for Lewan against Green Bay. I don't know how he would look starting for an entire season, probably not great or we wouldn't have acquired him for nothing, but he has looked like a starter in spots.

I think he's super strong as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the strongest guy on the team.

8 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Going back to when we acquired Kelly, I have never once felt like a backup played in a starter's spot when he had to fill in. Even filling in for Lewan against Green Bay. I don't know how he would look starting for an entire season, probably not great or we wouldn't have acquired him for nothing, but he has looked like a starter in spots.

I think he's super strong as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the strongest guy on the team.

yeah, i know this season is pretty much a wash for conklin and i hope he can come back next year at full strength and return to form, but kelly has got to be one of the best 3rd/swing OTs in the league. there's just been no drop-off, and i do wonder whether he's going to be looking to start somewhere in the future.

Archived