Godzilla: King Of The Monsters - May 31st

D82

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I thought it sucked actually... and I haven't said that about a movie since Star Wars Episode XIII.

I didn't care much about the story/plot, came for the fights. But the story/plot/acting was all way worse than I could possibly imagine. It was hard to ignore. Charles Dance with a great performance as always though.

The fights were REALLY underwhelming. And there also just wasn't enough scenes of fighting.

4/10 movie.

Episode 13? Whaaaat?!

• Like 3

Saw it on Friday and loved it. I never understood this "too much humans" argument in giant monster movies. Humans have ALWAYS been an integral part of any monster movie. One YouTube reviewer, who shall remain nameless even went as far as to compare it to the humans in the Transformers movies. That's such a stupid comparison if I've ever seen one, like WTF? Transformers can actually talk and advance the plot, hence humans don't even need to be IN those movies (!), unlike kaiju in kaiju flicks. 

You need human characters to advance the plot of kaiju movies.
You DON'T need human characters to advance the plot of the Transformers movies (ever seen the animated films? Those worked just fine without humans!)

Imagine if Cloverfield were just 90 minutes of the Clover monster destroying ish with no human interaction. There'd be no plot and no build-up to any of it. Plus this movie cost $170 mil to make, needing in the ballpark of $450-500 mil just to break even, and that's with the screentime the monsters were actually given, which they DID give us more kaiju action this time around, ****in' A. 

Glad these people aren't making these movies, they have no idea how budgeting or storytelling works. If they had their way, they'd drive up the budget to $300+ mil and it'd be a plotless mess of a film with no heart. I actually read a comment today saying "these movies should be 90% monsters and 10% humans", GTFOOH with that ish. 

Which I even thought the human story was engaging/interesting this time around. And the kaiju fights were AWESOME! 

8/10.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 1

Saw this movie on Saturday night.  Made sure I had the 24 ounce Mojito right at the start of the show.

Loved it.  Though I became a little squirmy when that Mojito ran through my body.  Once this movie starts, it didn't really let up.

I was overwhelmed by sound.  Very loud, but very worth it.

Didn't care much for the human stuff, although the end credits scene pulled enough of it together for me.

Loved the Hulked out version of "Zilla.  I"m really looking forward to Kong Vs. Godzilla.  And I believe it will be the same thing as Batman vs. Superman.  They battle, then wouldn't yah know it, here comes a common enemy.  Predictable, but I'm still going to love it!

• Like 1

I mean, it wasn't that bad. I don't see what all the bellyaching was for. 

The story was generic and lackluster but the kaiju scenes were good and if you went to a Godzilla movie for any reason other than the monster fights, I don't know what to tell you. It's like going to a Fast and Furious movie expecting to see No Country for Old Men.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, Calvert28 said:

Saw monsters fighting. Don't care about the rest.

2 hours ago, jjab360 said:

I mean, it wasn't that bad. I don't see what all the bellyaching was for. 

The story was generic and lackluster but the kaiju scenes were good and if you went to a Godzilla movie for any reason other than the monster fights, I don't know what to tell you. It's like going to a Fast and Furious movie expecting to see No Country for Old Men.

These are good takes. Giant monsters. Punch stuff. That’s good.

• Like 2

I liked it.  I think we live in a time where being negative sells.  All youtube reviews are "angry somethingorother rant," and nothing is good enough.  

The previews for this movie showed 6 (I think) monsters.  What do you expect will be in this movie? This wasn't going to win best picture, and going into it expecting that sets you up for disappointment.  People need to relax, get some popcorn, and enjoy the fun movie for being fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I liked it.  I think we live in a time where being negative sells.  All youtube reviews are "angry somethingorother rant," and nothing is good enough.  

The previews for this movie showed 6 (I think) monsters.  What do you expect will be in this movie? This wasn't going to win best picture, and going into it expecting that sets you up for disappointment.  People need to relax, get some popcorn, and enjoy the fun movie for being fun.

I couldn't agree with the bolded any more.

7 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I cannot stop thinking about this joke hahaha.

lol, me too.

Kong being like "Why'd you say that name?"

flashbacks then indicate that Mothra helped Kong at some point too

than they buddy up.

missed opportunity if they dont do it

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw this last night, loved it. I don't know why everyone was saying it was a bad movie. Sure, some of the human interactions were really sappy, and the premise behind the mom waking up all of the titans was really silly, but there was a lot of substance with everything else. The animations were incredible and the way each monster moved and interacted was really well put together. 

The lore was fantastic, and I loved the whole thing with the orca being able to influence the titans. I loved atlantis and seeing how they obviously worshiped Godzilla. I think that played nicely with the premise that Godzilla is willing to coexist with humans. Too bad mothra had to die so quickly

This was a good progression for the series and Im excited to see the Kong movie that comes out soon. 

Did anyone stay for the cut scene at the end? where tywin Lannister buys the remaining head of monster zero? 

• Like 3