2019 Draft Talk!

ET80

Never too early to talk draft, right?

I think I'm firmly on board with Greg Little as our 1st round pick. I guess the question is will he be there when we pick? If not, do we take a chance on overdrafting guys like Dalton Risner or Andre Dillard?

Any other players or positions interest you?

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Never too early to talk draft, right?

I think I'm firmly on board with Greg Little as our 1st round pick. I guess the question is will he be there when we pick? If not, do we take a chance on overdrafting guys like Dalton Risner or Andre Dillard?

Any other players or positions interest you?

glad we starting a pre draft thread early.  I think Little will going top 10-15.  We have ammo to trade up if need be.  Its a good chance someone like Jawaan Taylor or David Eedwards will be there with our pick.  If not then I wouldnt reach for a tackle.

Other positions that interest me

CB:  Need a number 1 CB badly. Joseph is getting old, Kareem isnt a number 1 and Colvin at best is a very good nickel CB.  Michael Jackson out of Miami has that potential.

RB:  Depends on how Foreman does when he gets activated on the roster.  Miller has 1 more year left on his contract.  We can start getting his successor. A big between the tackles RB would be a nice compliment for him.  David Montgomery would be a great pick for us and fits that description. 

Edited by Texansfan713

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

We have ammo to trade up if need be. 

I'd actually prefer the other direction - moving down, grabbing some extra capital for depth. If Williams and Little are gone by the time we pick (highly likely) I'd be OK with moving into the 2nd round and getting some extra ammo for the 2020 draft. 

There are a bunch of OK Ts in this draft, nobody really special. A few guys with a ton of upside, but very raw (Dillard, Taylor, Cajuste) or major health related red flags (Adams). No need to force a guy into a spot, even if you get an extra year of team control.

• Like 1

Adams announced he is returning for his sr year which is a smart move on his part.  I wouldnt mind trading back either. Looks like our picks including the Seahawks 2nd will be late round picks. One thing that might help us is that this draft class is loaded at the DL position. Teams might want to trade up to get some. 

For what its worth, McShay dropped his first mock and has us taking Michael Deiter OG from Wisconsin. I wouldnt be opposed to that. We need help everywhere on the line except probably center. 

His mock looks really grim for us, as far as who is there in the late 1st. Almost all DT and Safties. Two positions that we should be solid in if we resign all our own guys

Someone Kiper really likes and has ranked 24th on his big board, which means hes probably an early 2nd rounder is Julian Love CB from Notre Dame

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

For what its worth, McShay dropped his first mock and has us taking Michael Deiter OG from Wisconsin. I wouldnt be opposed to that. We need help everywhere on the line except probably center. 

I like Deiter and T David Edwards - pretty much any OL from Wisconsin, actually. Deiter plays G, but was a LT in 2017, taking over the spot vacated by Ryan Ramcyzk. He's better at G than T, much like Martinas Rankin. 

I'd go for it. 

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Someone Kiper really likes and has ranked 24th on his big board, which means hes probably an early 2nd rounder is Julian Love CB from Notre Dame

CB seems really deep this draft - I think we'll find a very good crop of guys in this group. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, with the injury to DT and the endurance/injury concerns with both Will Fuller and Keke Coutee, I'm pretty certain WR will be a fairly high need on our shopping list. I haven't been following WRs this season, but I have a few names I've been reading up on...

Oklahoma WR Marquis Brown is incredibly small (5' 11" and 160 soaking wet) but his speed is Fuller-esque. He's more of a shifty guy than Fuller as well, has drawn comparisons to Tyreek Hill in this respect. But, that 160 is a serious concern, he's not going to last long in the NFL at that weight - he needs to put on 20-30 lbs, which isn't easy.

I'm also reading up on Jon'Vea Johnson from Toledo - fast guy, decent size at 6' 1" 188 lbs (another guy who needs some protein to put on some muscle) bit really regressed from last year to this year. He's going to have to test well to make an impression.

Baylor WR Jalen Hurd is an incredibly interesting prospect - he was a 5 star recruit as a RB, played his first three years at Tennessee and looked like a superstar in the making, rushing for 899 as a True Freshman and 1,200+/12 TDs as a Soph. Injuries Ied to a lot of whispers about his commitment to football and his overall toughness, and he eventually transferred to Baylor and switched to WR. He's been really good in his first year as a WR, putting up 946 yards and 4 TDs, but he's struggling with some injuries. He's 6" 4" 230 (dropped 10 lbs when moving to WR) with reported 4.4 speed - any other year he's a top 20 prospect, but there's a lot of questions you've got to ask before you take him. His pedigree and production at RB and WR will get him consideration in the pros, question will be when does someone draft him?

This draft seems very top heavy - N'Keal Harry, DK Metcalf, Parris Campbell seem like the top guys, and there are a few guys who can jump up the rankings with good performances at combines and pro days (Collin Johnson comes to mind). After that, there are a bunch of questions.

WR is a FA need in my opinion. We have Fuller and Coutee that we’ve drafted recently. Both have injury problems but we are going to plan on them being 2/3 next year. I wouldnt draft a guy high unless we are moving on from Fuller. 

I only want a Tackle in round 1. We have 3rd and 4th rounders on the team. Our staff can’t develop guys so it’s either address it in FA or 1st round or roll with what we got. 

If we don’t go tackle in round 1, then either OLB or CB 

no way we have Clowney and mercilus next year and this draft is loaded at 3-4 OLB. 

Id sell the whole draft if we couldn’t get a shut down CB. CB is the position that will keep us from winning in the post season over any other. 

On 1/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Nick Fitzgerald is a guy I wouldn’t mind drafting late. He can develop into a back up QB that is similar to Watson. 

I'm OK with this, he seems like a good QB with the ability to come in if needed. He had a really bad ankle injury last season (Google it if you dare, pretty gross) so that would have to be checked out - but would be worth the late round pick nonetheless.

Gonna pimp my fellow Blue Hen. Nasir Adderley is going to be really good. Likely a safety but may be able to fill hybrid role as well. Especially if we don't retain Mathieu he could be a good get for us. Not first round, but I could see him as a second day pick.