Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ET80

2019 Draft Talk!

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

McClain really thinks we are going tackle in both round 1 and round 2. I would not be opposed to that all all. He also thinks we go CB with our other 2nd round pick. Again a great idea. 

Dalton Risner and Mitch Hyatt would be a nice tandem. 

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He also thinks we bring back Kevin Johnson, which is a waste of 9 million dollars. 

I don't disagree, but I also think if he's buried far enough on the depth chart, it won't matter. The $9mm would be nice to spend in FA (or resigning someone) in 2019 but as long as you're not extending Johnson beyond next season, you'll have that $9mm come off the books in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Dalton Risner and Mitch Hyatt would be a nice tandem. 

I don't disagree, but I also think if he's buried far enough on the depth chart, it won't matter. The $9mm would be nice to spend in FA (or resigning someone) in 2019 but as long as you're not extending Johnson beyond next season, you'll have that $9mm come off the books in 2020.

But we have some strange expectation every year that suddenly Johnson won’t suck. And year after year he sucks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Dalton Risner and Mitch Hyatt would be a nice tandem. 

Mitch Hyatt is bad. Don't be fooled by him being an all american. Dude is a day 3 pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like Greg Little and Jawaan Taylor are falling a little on some draft boards. I would love to get one of them in the 1st round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we were to go out and land a pair of tackles in the draft who turned out to be good like the colts got with guards, how good could our offense be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I brought up Nasir Adderley earlier and now he is shooting up boards which sucks. I really wanted him.

I'm trying to get a read of what is there in round 2 to know see if I prefer DB in round 1 and double o-line in round 2 or o-line in round 1 and a DB and o-line in second. It's probably too early for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need OL + Secondary. 

After that they can draft whoever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel Jeremiah just put out his first mock draft, and had Georgia CB Deandre Baker as the pick at 23.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011490/article/daniel-jeremiah-mock-draft-10-kyler-murray-lands-with-patriots

Sign. Me. Up. I think I'd be nearly as excited as when we traded up for Watson. Baker is going to be a top 5-10 CB nearly immediately, love his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Daniel Jeremiah just put out his first mock draft, and had Georgia CB Deandre Baker as the pick at 23.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011490/article/daniel-jeremiah-mock-draft-10-kyler-murray-lands-with-patriots

Sign. Me. Up. I think I'd be nearly as excited as when we traded up for Watson. Baker is going to be a top 5-10 CB nearly immediately, love his game.

I don’t love baker 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t love baker 

I do, think he's a top 10-15 player in this draft. He'd have a significant impact on our secondary from day one, a future leader of the defense with Justin Reid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I do, think he's a top 10-15 player in this draft. He'd have a significant impact on our secondary from day one, a future leader of the defense with Justin Reid...

I won’t argue if we draft him but just from watching him play he seemed a little slow and undersized. It also seemed like he got beat a lot and the announcers would say “it’s rare to see that”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

But we have some strange expectation every year that suddenly Johnson won’t suck. And year after year he sucks 

Couldn't/didn't we say the same thing about AJ Bouye his last year in Houston? Prior to that contract year, he was a liability, a guy who simply didn't play well. Then suddenly... he did start playing well.

I highly doubt this is the case with Johnson, but it's not unheard of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Couldn't/didn't we say the same thing about AJ Bouye his last year in Houston? Prior to that contract year, he was a liability, a guy who simply didn't play well. Then suddenly... he did start playing well.

I highly doubt this is the case with Johnson, but it's not unheard of.

I don’t remember ever saying that about Boyue. He was an undrafted guy and not a 1st round bust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t remember ever saying that about Boyue. He was an undrafted guy and not a 1st round bust. 

Well not you specifically, but many felt as if his contract year was exactly that - a year to maximize his earnings and not a true indication of his propensity to draw penalties at the worst time.

So, switching gears here - did you know that the Texans did NOT have the worst OL in the league? Per PFF, we were 23rd - still a top 10 worst OL, but not as bad as we figured:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

I had no idea that Fulton graded out at a 79 and Martin graded out as an 80. I'll have to read more into it, but that's nice to know - means if we can find two competent Ts, we could have a four way battle at both T spots between the rookies and Davenport/Henderson, and then kick Rankin inside to compete with Mancz and Kelemete.

Not exactly the most impressive array of names, but it at least rounds out to a bunch of experience at backup spots - which is a pretty good thing, all things considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ET80 said:

Well not you specifically, but many felt as if his contract year was exactly that - a year to maximize his earnings and not a true indication of his propensity to draw penalties at the worst time.

So, switching gears here - did you know that the Texans did NOT have the worst OL in the league? Per PFF, we were 23rd - still a top 10 worst OL, but not as bad as we figured:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

I had no idea that Fulton graded out at a 79 and Martin graded out as an 80. I'll have to read more into it, but that's nice to know - means if we can find two competent Ts, we could have a four way battle at both T spots between the rookies and Davenport/Henderson, and then kick Rankin inside to compete with Mancz and Kelemete.

Not exactly the most impressive array of names, but it at least rounds out to a bunch of experience at backup spots - which is a pretty good thing, all things considered.

Our interior wasn’t as bad as last year. It’s the tackles that suck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×