2019 Draft Talk!

ET80

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

McClain really thinks we are going tackle in both round 1 and round 2. I would not be opposed to that all all. He also thinks we go CB with our other 2nd round pick. Again a great idea. 

Dalton Risner and Mitch Hyatt would be a nice tandem. 

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He also thinks we bring back Kevin Johnson, which is a waste of 9 million dollars. 

I don't disagree, but I also think if he's buried far enough on the depth chart, it won't matter. The $9mm would be nice to spend in FA (or resigning someone) in 2019 but as long as you're not extending Johnson beyond next season, you'll have that $9mm come off the books in 2020.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Dalton Risner and Mitch Hyatt would be a nice tandem. 

I don't disagree, but I also think if he's buried far enough on the depth chart, it won't matter. The $9mm would be nice to spend in FA (or resigning someone) in 2019 but as long as you're not extending Johnson beyond next season, you'll have that $9mm come off the books in 2020.

But we have some strange expectation every year that suddenly Johnson won’t suck. And year after year he sucks 

I brought up Nasir Adderley earlier and now he is shooting up boards which sucks. I really wanted him.

I'm trying to get a read of what is there in round 2 to know see if I prefer DB in round 1 and double o-line in round 2 or o-line in round 1 and a DB and o-line in second. It's probably too early for that

• Like 1

Daniel Jeremiah just put out his first mock draft, and had Georgia CB Deandre Baker as the pick at 23.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011490/article/daniel-jeremiah-mock-draft-10-kyler-murray-lands-with-patriots

Sign. Me. Up. I think I'd be nearly as excited as when we traded up for Watson. Baker is going to be a top 5-10 CB nearly immediately, love his game.

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Daniel Jeremiah just put out his first mock draft, and had Georgia CB Deandre Baker as the pick at 23.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011490/article/daniel-jeremiah-mock-draft-10-kyler-murray-lands-with-patriots

Sign. Me. Up. I think I'd be nearly as excited as when we traded up for Watson. Baker is going to be a top 5-10 CB nearly immediately, love his game.

I don’t love baker 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I do, think he's a top 10-15 player in this draft. He'd have a significant impact on our secondary from day one, a future leader of the defense with Justin Reid...

I won’t argue if we draft him but just from watching him play he seemed a little slow and undersized. It also seemed like he got beat a lot and the announcers would say “it’s rare to see that”. 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

But we have some strange expectation every year that suddenly Johnson won’t suck. And year after year he sucks 

Couldn't/didn't we say the same thing about AJ Bouye his last year in Houston? Prior to that contract year, he was a liability, a guy who simply didn't play well. Then suddenly... he did start playing well.

I highly doubt this is the case with Johnson, but it's not unheard of.

44 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Couldn't/didn't we say the same thing about AJ Bouye his last year in Houston? Prior to that contract year, he was a liability, a guy who simply didn't play well. Then suddenly... he did start playing well.

I highly doubt this is the case with Johnson, but it's not unheard of.

I don’t remember ever saying that about Boyue. He was an undrafted guy and not a 1st round bust. 

17 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t remember ever saying that about Boyue. He was an undrafted guy and not a 1st round bust. 

Well not you specifically, but many felt as if his contract year was exactly that - a year to maximize his earnings and not a true indication of his propensity to draw penalties at the worst time.

So, switching gears here - did you know that the Texans did NOT have the worst OL in the league? Per PFF, we were 23rd - still a top 10 worst OL, but not as bad as we figured:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

I had no idea that Fulton graded out at a 79 and Martin graded out as an 80. I'll have to read more into it, but that's nice to know - means if we can find two competent Ts, we could have a four way battle at both T spots between the rookies and Davenport/Henderson, and then kick Rankin inside to compete with Mancz and Kelemete.

Not exactly the most impressive array of names, but it at least rounds out to a bunch of experience at backup spots - which is a pretty good thing, all things considered.

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

Well not you specifically, but many felt as if his contract year was exactly that - a year to maximize his earnings and not a true indication of his propensity to draw penalties at the worst time.

So, switching gears here - did you know that the Texans did NOT have the worst OL in the league? Per PFF, we were 23rd - still a top 10 worst OL, but not as bad as we figured:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

I had no idea that Fulton graded out at a 79 and Martin graded out as an 80. I'll have to read more into it, but that's nice to know - means if we can find two competent Ts, we could have a four way battle at both T spots between the rookies and Davenport/Henderson, and then kick Rankin inside to compete with Mancz and Kelemete.

Not exactly the most impressive array of names, but it at least rounds out to a bunch of experience at backup spots - which is a pretty good thing, all things considered.

Our interior wasn’t as bad as last year. It’s the tackles that suck