Trubisky and the end of the season

WindyCity

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

I will not comment on Trubisky other than he has been inconsistent this season. But what you said above is what a lot of Bears fans including myself here said about Cutler.  I am not saying he is going to be like Cutler just that this argument mean much.

I actually wouldn't argue that point against you, I agree for the most part. To me the biggest difference is the smaller ego Tru apparently has (mostly looking back to Jay's time in DEN and early Chicago) and that Chicago is far more competently run now as opposed to then.

Personally I think if Jay would have been in a situation like this with Reid, Arians, or some other offensive minded coach that allowed him to have consistency that he would have been special. He'd never be Rodgers but could have been in the tier below perennial Pro Bowlers. Matt Ryan-level for example, and better than Donovan McNabb for Reid too.

44 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

To me the biggest difference is the smaller ego Tru apparently has 

Yep. Mitch actually seems to be willing to learn from others and Jay was always thinking his way of playing the game is always what's best. I have always compared this to how AI played in Philly--selfish but meant well.

44 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Personally I think if Jay would have been in a situation like this with Reid, Arians, or some other offensive minded coach that allowed him to have consistency that he would have been special.

I strongly disagree with this part. I get the angle of having multiple (terrible) OC's and having to learn different systems. But he constantly made same mistakes in every system he played in.

As a QB, there is a point in time when you have to accept the fact that maybe it wasn't only them causing you to read those defenses wrong or make them ill-advised decisions and bad throws......it's you! And he never did.

Throughout his career all I heard was "he needs help--that's the problem"......well okay I get that, he needs an OL and targets (which we didn't have) BUT he had that type of help in Denver BEFORE we traded for him and he was still making those same mistakes during that time that we saw here. This point was glossed over by 99% of Bears fans because most became enamored by his 4000 yards passing in a season and the fact that we have never had a consistent good QB since Sid Luckman! 

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yep. Mitch actually seems to be willing to learn from others and Jay was always thinking his way of playing the game is always what's best. I have always compared this to how AI played in Philly--selfish but meant well.

I strongly disagree with this part. I get the angle of having multiple (terrible) OC's and having to learn different systems. But he constantly made same mistakes in every system he played in.

As a QB, there is a point in time when you have to accept the fact that maybe it wasn't only them causing you to read those defenses wrong or make them ill-advised decisions and bad throws......it's you! And he never did.

Throughout his career all I heard was "he needs help--that's the problem"......well okay I get that, he needs an OL and targets (which we didn't have) BUT he had that type of help in Denver BEFORE we traded for him and he was still making those same mistakes during that time that we saw here. This point was glossed over by 99% of Bears fans because most became enamored by his 4000 yards passing in a season and the fact that we have never had a consistent good QB since Sid Luckman! 

All points are valid, but I didn't mean to make Cutler seem faultless. Cutler matured, but did he really progress as a QB much in his time here? I'm not sure he did. THAT is my issue with Chicago. I feel they stunted his growth massively with the rotation of OCs, OL,  weak WE corps, etc. 

I'm not sure Jay would ever be able to play conservatively consistently, maybe a game here or there sure, but not frequently. To me he would always be a gunslinger who would give the ball away a bit too much, but there are varying levels of success you can have with QBs like that and Chicago really limited our overall success to me. 

Good day for Mitch overall against a struggling defense.

Fumbled once, missed a couple throws--including a TD that he eventually made up for-- but he kept plays alive with his feet, used his usually escape artisrty to avoid a few sacks, the dart to Bellamy was amazing. 

He has two consecutive away games to start preparing for the playoffs and fix his inconsistency issues.

53 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Good day for Mitch overall against a struggling defense.

Fumbled once, missed a couple throws--including a TD that he eventually made up for-- but he kept plays alive with his feet, used his usually escape artisrty to avoid a few sacks, the dart to Bellamy was amazing. 

He has two consecutive away games to start preparing for the playoffs and fix his inconsistency issues.

The throw to Shaheen down the left sideline after escaping pressure too, throw of the day for me, awesome Mitchell.

Just now, RJ_11 said:

The throw to Shaheen down the left sideline after escaping pressure too, throw of the day for me, awesome Mitchell.

That, the dart to Bellamy, the evasion and touch pass to Burton. He had some great plays today. He won it as much as the Bears defense did.

Kid has stones and outside of a few odd choices Nagy called a pretty damn good game honestly. Liked how he didn't abandon the run too.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

That, the dart to Bellamy, the evasion and touch pass to Burton. He had some great plays today. He won it as much as the Bears defense did.

Kid has stones and outside of a few odd choices Nagy called a pretty damn good game honestly. Liked how he didn't abandon the run too.

Honestly - now we've won - I'm not too bothered Nagy had a couple of those fail. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Just a nice little reminder for him before the Playoffs that they aren't gonna work every time and can't keep going back to the well.

25 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

Honestly - now we've won - I'm not too bothered Nagy had a couple of those fail. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Just a nice little reminder for him before the Playoffs that they aren't gonna work every time and can't keep going back to the well.

That's what I am hoping comes from this. I have complained he was too cute with his playcalls at times, but he seems to have grown and normally finds what is working and goes back to that. He got a bit of learning experience without costing us the game, so I'm fine with it. Winning silences all complaints pretty much   lol

Nagy seems to have learned against the Rams to be a bit more conservative, and that having the opposing offense pinned on the goal line is as good as going for it on 4th down. I'll be interested to see how moving forward he balances his aggressive tendencies vs allowing the D to crush other teams with field position. 

Archived