Why is Jay Gruden the scape goat?

mar29020

right now he is the most successful coach during the snyder era. He inherited a broken Rg3 and coached up a young mistake prone QB in Cousins into a a franchise QB. Is it HIS fault that allen and snyder blew the contract situation for cousins and let him go? this is the reason we are at where we are right now. we had a very good qb in OUR house we can win with. No he isnt a top 5 qb, but he is a top 10 and you CAN win with him. As we could have predicted, we wouldn't go very far with Alex smith. yes he had us at 6-3 but i don't think we would've won anything with him. My main issue with alex was his age and we gave him a ridiculous contract for a 36 year old qb. That was bruce allen trying to put a bandaid on the situation. so now since we have 17 players on IR, on our 4th string qbs and guards its jays fault. personally, i think jay has done very well as a coach given the hand he was dealt by allen and snyder. not to mention this team is super fragile and injury prone. both last year and this year we could have been playoff teams. The grass isnt always greener on the other side. don't be surprised when we hire a new HC who isn't on anyone's radar but instead was a friend from bruce allen in tampa.

Its sad when a coach with a .448 win% (34-42-1) is called "Most Successful" over a 20 year span.

Gruden was brought in as an offensive minded coach. And the offense has been soaring downhill ever since. In a 5 year span, any coach should have a receiver that could be considered a 1st or even 2nd. We dont. This offensive minded coach in 5 years hasnt been bringing along any youth at the qb position. Sure one was stuck on the practice squad for a few months, but then shipped off.

Team moral is totally gone. Every Monday, theres no practice. But a couple dozen guys would show up, hang out, to build unity and fellowship. Today, only a couple nonames showed, and they bolted soon as it came to "media question time".

Jay is weak and has no control of or respect from the team or fans.

Sure we went 6-3 back when playing the worst schedule in the history of the game. But as Dallas and other teams improved. And the schedule hardened up slightly from playing under .400 win% teams to over that. We been losing.  That 6-3 is like UCF going 13-0, no real competition. But when competition was faced, kicked our teeth in. Like the Saints and Falcons did.

21 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Its sad when a coach with a .448 win% (34-42-1) is called "Most Successful" over a 20 year span.

Gruden was brought in as an offensive minded coach. And the offense has been soaring downhill ever since. In a 5 year span, any coach should have a receiver that could be considered a 1st or even 2nd. We dont. This offensive minded coach in 5 years hasnt been bringing along any youth at the qb position. Sure one was stuck on the practice squad for a few months, but then shipped off.

Team moral is totally gone. Every Monday, theres no practice. But a couple dozen guys would show up, hang out, to build unity and fellowship. Today, only a couple nonames showed, and they bolted soon as it came to "media question time".

Sure we went 6-3 back when playing the worst schedule in the history of the game. But as Dallas and other teams improved. And the schedule hardened up slightly from playing under .400 win% teams to over that. We been losing.  That 6-3 is like UCF going 13-0, no real competition. But when competition was faced, kicked our teeth in. Like the Saints and Falcons did.

Jay had this offense running pretty good with Kirk at the helm. what is he supposed to do with sanchez and josh johnson at qb? lol

It’s not so much the personnel decisions. It’s not so much his record as a head coach. It’s not so much the injuries we have had.

It is the fact that he is absolutely terrible at adjustments. It is the fact he is terrible at time management. It is the fact that he cannot command the team as a leader. It is the fact he has not reprimanded his staff for terrible performances. It is the fact that he continues to say “his team is trying,” when they lay big eggs against good and bad teams.

I have been a big Jay Gruden supporter. I do think he can be successful as a head coach. I am absolutely disappointed in the past 3 years. I don’t know how you could be anything less than disappointed. I would not be upset if he is retained and I would not be upset if he is let go. 

As long as Bruce Allen goes first.

13 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

Jay had this offense running pretty good with Kirk at the helm. what is he supposed to do with sanchez and josh johnson at qb? lol

Hes an offensive minded coach whos team has gotten worse offensively year after year.

11th in 16, 16th in 17, and currently 28th. The more he moves on from the previous coaches players, the worse he does.

His players, which hes had 5 years to build his team. They dont produce. Though what weve gotten rid of have produced elsewhere just fine.

Again. Offensive minded coach. Knowing there was no way Cousins was going to put up with this circus for a couple years. Never bothered bringing in a single soul to have developing on the side. So yea, were stuck calling up hasbeens and neverwas to come play because hes crap at his job.

1 hour ago, mar29020 said:

right now he is the most successful coach during the snyder era. 

Uh...wut??

He inherited a broken Rg3

He was tasked with getting something out of him. He failed.

and coached up a young mistake prone QB in Cousins into a a franchise QB.

There's one coach who did that. He's the HC of the Rams right now.

Is it HIS fault that allen and snyder blew the contract situation for cousins and let him go?

No.

this is the reason we are at where we are right now. we had a very good qb in OUR house we can win with. No he isnt a top 5 qb, but he is a top 10 and you CAN win with him. As we could have predicted, we wouldn't go very far with Alex smith. yes he had us at 6-3 but i don't think we would've won anything with him. My main issue with alex was his age and we gave him a ridiculous contract for a 36 year old qb. That was bruce allen trying to put a bandaid on the situation. so now since we have 17 players on IR, on our 4th string qbs and guards its jays fault. personally, i think jay has done very well as a coach given the hand he was dealt by allen and snyder. not to mention this team is super fragile and injury prone. both last year and this year we could have been playoff teams. The grass isnt always greener on the other side. don't be surprised when we hire a new HC who isn't on anyone's radar but instead was a friend from bruce allen in tampa.

Disagree.

When his team is repeatedly not prepared to play... 

When the same mistakes happen over and over and over and over and over...

When players don't face repercussions of their actions...

When he has some of the worst time clock management in team history...

etc...

Then he needs to go. He's not a scapegoat. He's a willing participant in this farce the Redskins like to call a "professional" football team

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

It's also not even true. Gibbs was 30-34. Which is a .469 win percentage.

Gruden needed an extra season to even get past Gibbs (who only had 4 seasons here).

Big kicker here is that Gibbs actually won a playoff game while Jay lost his.

2 hours ago, mar29020 said:

Is it HIS fault that allen and snyder blew the contract situation for cousins and let him go? this is the reason we are at where we are right now. we had a very good qb in OUR house we can win with.

First of all, the sooner that the Redskins fanbase (and forum) stop treating this like it was a mistake, the sooner we can all start moving forward together. 

Not trading him earlier when we could get something for him was a mistake. That’s fair. Trading for Smith to replace him appears to have been a mistake. That’s fair. Determining that he wasn’t worth a monstrous mega-deal that would have paid him like an elite QB was not a mistake. It’s one of the few things they’ve done right, actually — the easy thing to do would’ve been to just pay him, but they correctly determined he wasn't worth it. 

Anyway, to your overarching point, I don’t think Gruden is really anybody’s primary scapegoat. I don’t think it’s his fault that we’re having another disappointing slog to the end of the season. I actually think he’s a very good offensive coach and a good teacher for QBs. 

But we’ve had 5 years now, and many of the same issues appear to be popping up. Clock management is bad, he’s almost never creative or aggressive in terms of taking risks, and the ability to coach on the fly (as opposed to just the first set of plays he draws up prior to the game) doesn’t seem to be developing over time. And most concerningly, the issues with chemistry and work ethic and dissension in the locker room appear to be growing. 

To me, the players appeared to have quit on the season yesterday. The injury stuff, especially with the QBs, has been depressing and disheartening. No doubt about that, and I’m sure it’s even harder on the players than us as fans. But a team that’s quit when they’re 6-6 and a game out of the division lead? That can’t happen. And that’s what makes me feel the way @Slappy Mc feels — I’m not saying he has to go, but it certainly won’t bother me if he does. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

First of all, the sooner that the Redskins fanbase (and forum) stop treating this like it was a mistake, the sooner we can all start moving forward together. 

Not trading him earlier when we could get something for him was a mistake. That’s fair. Trading for Smith to replace him appears to have been a mistake. That’s fair. Determining that he wasn’t worth a monstrous mega-deal that would have paid him like an elite QB was not a mistake. It’s one of the few things they’ve done right, actually — the easy thing to do would’ve been to just pay him, but they correctly determined he wasn't worth it. 

Anyway, to your overarching point, I don’t think Gruden is really anybody’s primary scapegoat. I don’t think it’s his fault that we’re having another disappointing slog to the end of the season. I actually think he’s a very good offensive coach and a good teacher for QBs. 

But we’ve had 5 years now, and many of the same issues appear to be popping up. Clock management is bad, he’s almost never creative or aggressive in terms of taking risks, and the ability to coach on the fly (as opposed to just the first set of plays he draws up prior to the game) doesn’t seem to be developing over time. And most concerningly, the issues with chemistry and work ethic and dissension in the locker room appear to be growing. 

To me, the players appeared to have quit on the season yesterday. The injury stuff, especially with the QBs, has been depressing and disheartening. No doubt about that, and I’m sure it’s even harder on the players than us as fans. But a team that’s quit when they’re 6-6 and a game out of the division lead? That can’t happen. And that’s what makes me feel the way @Slappy Mc feels — I’m not saying he has to go, but it certainly won’t bother me if he does. 

See bolded. I agree strongly with those.

We suck because of a historically terrible nfl owner,the people he hires to run the football organization and the ways he mis-manages the franchise.He has the unfortunate but well deserved distinction of having the worst record of football success of any  nfl owner of an established team who’s owned the team for 19 years or longer. Maybe he’s  always been a Cowboys or Giants fan, our Redskins Manchurian owner? 

I have been huge on the Jay support train!!! I have 3 options to coach this team going forward!!!

my number 1 hasn’t changed this team needs Saban!!!!! Sorry say whatever that is literally what this team needs!!!!!!

2 jay. He’s not the best but I need Kyle Smith to be our GM and see where the football decisions go after that before I completely hate Jay.

3 Lincoln Riley!!! This guy has had the best offense in college the last 2 years with two completely different schemes. He will make adjustments and he imo is the closest thing we’re gonna find to McVay!!!

Archived