Why is Jay Gruden the scape goat?

mar29020

I think Jay is a good dude but when he decided to punt against Dallas inside the 50 yard line with the way our defense had been playing I was pretty much done with him. He forfeits too many games because he’s terrified of taking chances. It’s actually unbelievable in this day and age to find a coach who’s scared of going for it. 

Hes a good OC and QBs coach and he’ll probably get another shot down the line in a healthier environment and he’ll have learned from his time in this hell hole. But, it’s time to part ways. 

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

Not trading him earlier when we could get something for him was a mistake. That’s fair. Trading for Smith to replace him appears to have been a mistake. That’s fair. Determining that he wasn’t worth a monstrous mega-deal that would have paid him like an elite QB was not a mistake. It’s one of the few things they’ve done right, actually — the easy thing to do would’ve been to just pay him, but they correctly determined he wasn't worth it. 

You cannot really separate the not-trading-Cousins and trading-for-Smith from the situation, though. It's all part of the same cloth.

7 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I have been huge on the Jay support train!!! I have 3 options to coach this team going forward!!!

my number 1 hasn’t changed this team needs Saban!!!!! Sorry say whatever that is literally what this team needs!!!!!!

2 jay. He’s not the best but I need Kyle Smith to be our GM and see where the football decisions go after that before I completely hate Jay.

3 Lincoln Riley!!! This guy has had the best offense in college the last 2 years with two completely different schemes. He will make adjustments and he imo is the closest thing we’re gonna find to McVay!!!

I have argued and will continue argue: coaching in college is way different than coaching in the NFL. It's almost a separate game.

To elaborate: in college, you can get away with a system or just having better talent. In the pros, all of the guys are the creme de la creme. What you are doing at that level is working with their particular skill sets within the confines of what you want to do while managing the egos. A college coach can be a raging a-hole; that won't fly in the pros.

12 hours ago, Woz said:

I have argued and will continue argue: coaching in college is way different than coaching in the NFL. It's almost a separate game.

To elaborate: in college, you can get away with a system or just having better talent. In the pros, all of the guys are the creme de la creme. What you are doing at that level is working with their particular skill sets within the confines of what you want to do while managing the egos. A college coach can be a raging a-hole; that won't fly in the pros.

I agree but with the way the game is headed I actually believe these two coaches and their style translate!!!! I think Saban learned a lot his goes at the NFL!!! Plus what team could he go to and be more familiar with the guys in the locker room to get the most out of them?

28 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I agree but with the way the game is headed I actually believe these two coaches and their style translate!!!! I think Saban learned a lot his goes at the NFL!!! Plus what team could he go to and be more familiar with the guys in the locker room to get the most out of them?

Saban isn’t leaving the coaching paradise he’s built in Alabama for Washington, DC. Everything is cheaper in Alabama (housing, living expenses, etc) , he has everything the way he wants it, he barely even coaches - his assistants do most of it  - and he’s near or over 70. He has no reason to go back to the NFL. He’s coasting to the college football playoffs every year and he barely has to work for it anymore.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:51 AM, MikeT14 said:

Also, who is actually hiring our DCs? Is it Jay or Bruce? We need our 4th since Jay became head coach. 

Jay, hires his coaching staff. The worst decision he every made was NOT hiring Wade Phillips and then coming up with ridiculous reasons why he didn’t. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Jay, hires his coaching staff. The worst decision he every made was kit hiring Wade Phillips and then coming up with ridiculous reasons why he didn’t. 

I guess it was more tongue in cheek. My point is that I don't trust him to get a great staff, from having to get a 4th DC (needed), to the S&C staff, to the WR coaching not seemingly helping these guys to the next step, to whatever else.

6 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Saban is essentially a god at Alabama. Barring a major scandal, he can coach in Tuscaloosa for the rest of his days without any threat to his job. And make millions doing it.

Coming back up to the NFL, he would have to build up a team, manage the personalities, and deal with the fact that the other 31 franchises have as good talent as he has. There's no scheduling Citadel up in pros. Saban knows what's up in the NFL, and I suspect he's happy to deal with Alabama and the fact that he can just get the best talent in the nation by essentially showing up at the prospect's door.

He ain't moving. Certainly not for Dan Snyder. Unless Snyder just backs the Brinks truck up, and again I say: if you're hiring someone who is just in it for the money, they ain't worth it.

As for Lincoln Riley, he might want to jump up at the pros as he hasn't tried it yet. But I don't see him taking a chance on going to a fustercluck of a franchise like Washington and having his reputation shot to pieces.

Archived