Are there any defenses this year as good as the Vikings/Jaguars last year?

mdonnelly21

39 members have voted

1. 1. Are there any defenses this year as good as the Jaguars/Vikings last year?

the only bad game the ravens have had was against panthers on the road. aside from that we've had solid performances against the top offenses. 24 points to the saints, and 27 points to the chiefs in 5 quarters at their place. under 40 points in 2 games to the steelers. if we can get a good run going in these last games we could have a shot. as far as this year though, we're as good as anyone.

2 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

the only bad game the ravens have had was against panthers on the road. aside from that we've had solid performances against the top offenses. 24 points to the saints, and 27 points to the chiefs in 5 quarters at their place. under 40 points in 2 games to the steelers. if we can get a good run going in these last games we could have a shot. as far as this year though, we're as good as anyone.

Forget about the Bengals game?

At first glance I thought no. Both of those defenses were stacked with talent, especially the Jags, and only had a few bad outings all year, and I know their points allowed were definitely far superior to anybody's this year.

That being said, from a statistical stand point, those defenses actually lag well behind the Bears. Where the regular season DVOA (projected for 2018 teams) ranks between those Jags and Vikes squads and this years top defenses:

1. 2018 Bears -32.4% *
  2. 2018 Ravens -16.3%
  3. 2017 Jaguars -16.2%
  4. 2018 Bills -14.9%
  5. 2018 Broncos -14.8%
  6. 2017 Vikings -13.9%

*That would be the 2nd best defensive DVOA ever... obviously Bears are not likely to keep pace, but they'll still finish with a defensive DVOA well above the Jags in 2018 and a historically high one.

Although it should be noted that DVOA is all about relativity, the Bears D is playing x amount better than the average defense in 2018. So in a year where offenses league wide are exceeding, it adjusts to the new averages rather than say "maybe defenses are just bad this year." In a year of an offensive boom, this in turn gives a "boost" to defenses while docking the offenses, since it assumes no outliers.

Eye test I still say the Jags are the best of the bunch, they were just so insanely fast and hard hitting. I get a bit of that same feel from the Bears but it's not quite to the same degree, and I also feel like Bears have been less consistent.

So guys...  DVOA is in comparison to other teams the same year. If the question is do the top defenses of this year compare to last year it's not the metric you want to use. The average defense is significantly worse this year.

Compare:

2017 Jags: 1.26 points per drive, 22.91 yards per drive

2018 Bears: 1.59 points per drive, 27.15 yards per drive

That's a very significant gap.

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

So guys...  DVOA is in comparison to other teams the same year. If the question is do the top defenses of this year compare to last year it's not the metric you want to use. The average defense is significantly worse this year.

Compare:

2017 Jags: 1.26 points per drive, 22.91 yards per drive

2018 Bears: 1.59 points per drive, 27.15 yards per drive

That's a very significant gap.

This isn't taking this years offensive inflation into account either. That's why DVOA is a good metric to use.

On 2018-12-11 at 6:22 PM, bucsfan333 said:

Yup. Chicago's defense is so much farther ahead of any other defense this year. And they're actually among the best of all time.

They are playing at a high level.  I hope all the teams get/stay healthy and see how the bears do. They controlled the rams game, but the Saints will be a test and am looking forward to that game int he dome if it happens.  Then if they play the Chiefs or Chargers in in the SB, another test. The Bears D is legit, they get TO's as well.

On 2018-12-11 at 7:01 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

This isn't taking this years offensive inflation into account either. That's why DVOA is a good metric to use.

or the schedule the had and got the stats from . What matter is how they finish, Jags never won SB or made it there. Lets see how this season goes for the best D in the league.

Archived