Week 15: Dolphins (7-6) at VIKINGS (6-6-1)

swede700

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't think an improved OL will make a difference. He had the same issues with the Redskins and most consider his OLs to be good there.

There's something off in his internal clock that prevents him from sensing pressure and securing the ball. 

I won't disagree about the bolded. However, if the OL could give him .5 seconds more that might be enough for him to get the ball out cleanly and/or have something open up.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes knew what they were getting, which makes the signing even more peculiar if Zimmer wants to run a ball control, run oriented offense. This defense doesn't take the ball away nearly as much as it should so the margin for error becomes even smaller.

Here's the stat that worries me about Kirk Cousins: with the win against the Dolphins he is now a career 5-24 against teams with winning records.

And the Dolphins were something like 1-10 in their previous 11 road games, I believe.

Regardless, this game was very much a case of a resistible force against a movable object.

id like to see where the rest of the league’s QBs stand with these types of splits. No, they don’t look good, but without context how can you make any legitimate conclusion?

For example, just looking at 2017, the Redskins (Cousins) were 3-5 against winning teams. Cousins was 182/268, for 2,226 yards, 14TDs, and 4 turnovers. And in 3/5 losses, their offense score 24+ points.

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

id like to see where the rest of the league’s QBs stand with these types of splits. No, they don’t look good, but without context how can you make any legitimate conclusion?

Aaron Rodgers is 0-5 on the road against teams that were .500 or better when they faced them this season alone...0-6 if you include Seattle, which was 4-5 at the time they faced the Packers.  They've lost at Washington (who were 1-1), at the Rams, at the Patriots, at the Vikings, and at Chicago.   And even if you go back to his last full season (2016), he was 2-3 on the road vs. teams at .500 or above, with wins coming at Philly (who were 5-5 at the time) and Detroit in the last game of the season.  So, the best QB in the game is 2-8 in his last 2 full seasons on the road at teams .500 or above.  If you take into account, all of his games against winning opponents, I'm sure it's a little better, but even he is fallible against teams on the road.  

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I agree.

I get that Kirk has a bad record against winning teams but I think it's still a meaningless stat to an extent unless you go back to every game and figure out why the team lost those games. Was it bad defense? A missed kick? Dropped passes? Bad coaching? Bad play calling? Was it bad QB play?

How many of those games did Kirk deserve to win? How many did he deserve to lose?

This is why I hate that people like to put a record fully on a QB. He has no control over defense, special teams, his running backs, and receivers. It's alarming but we gotta know why he lost those games. Maybe he was 325/3/0 but the defense gave up 38.

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Frank Gore is not expected to play again this year after receiving the results of tests on the foot.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/17/report-frank-gore-not-expected-back-this-season/

It would kinda suck if that were the last play of his career...almost Favre-esque.

The Dolphins were able to score on a 75-yard touchdown on the first play of the third quarter and make it a 21-17 game. Head Coach Mike Zimmer placed blame on himself for the defensive call. The Vikings blitzed, and the Dolphins picked it up, allowing Kalen Ballage to reach the second level. Minnesota’s secondary was unable to make it to Ballage.

Those things can happen, but not every defense can respond the way that the Vikings did after a play like that. For the rest of the day, the Dolphins gained 10 net yards on 26 plays. Miami had four consecutive possessions (two to end the third quarter and two to open the fourth quarter) result in negative yardage.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-stats-that-stood-out-dolphins-at-vikings

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

For example, just looking at 2017, the Redskins (Cousins) were 3-5 against winning teams. Cousins was 182/268, for 2,226 yards, 14TDs, and 4 turnovers. And in 3/5 losses, their offense score 24+ points.

Their losses were against Vikings(Skins offense scored 31 points), Saints (Skins offense scored 31 & were up by 14 points with under 4 mins remaining in 4th quarter but eventually lost), Eagles (lost twice, offense scored 24 & 17 points),  Chiefs (offense scored 20 points).....that's why I feel like this record against winning records is almost a meaningless stat..if you want, atleast use something like his passer rating against teams with winning record or atleast his passer rating against top10 defenses. That's a better indicator of a player's quality than using stats like this.

Archived