Vikings fire OC John DeFilippo

sdrawkcab321

I'd welcome him here with the Jets as a QB coach for Darnold. I have to hear more as to why he was fired on if I'd want him as an OC. If it was a power struggle and he wasn't getting to do what he wanted then I'll be more open minded to him as an OC.

7 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I mean...he still kind of is. He probably won't get a job as a head coach this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets interviews.

I'd be shocked if he got a single interview. Maybe as an OC, but not a HC. His stock took a major hit with Minnesota's offensive performance.

More than likely he will have to settle being an QB coach again, at least next year.

20 hours ago, The LBC said:

I think the later part is apt and shouldn't be ignored.  Flip wasn't the Jesus offensive guru people thought he was, but i don't think that means he's garbage either.  Flatly, Cousins wasn't a good fit for Flip's chosen scheme (notice, when he's had more mobile QB's, he's done considerably better), particularly when the OL started dropping like flies and underperforming in general.  Obviously, there's a ding on Flip for not making an adjustment to that, but I do kind of have to ding Zimmer too because it seems like he went for the sexy name rather than the good fit.  Gives at least a little reason to pause about Zim's coaching rolodex - but one would hope he'd look more to guys he had the chance to work with in Cincinnati rather than those from Dallas as the Air Coryell or similar varietals really don't seem to complement the offensive talent on the Vikings.

Dare I say it?  Hue might actually not be a bad option if they don't take a shine to what the get/see from this promoted QB coach.

I think there may be a couple of reasons Zim decided to go with Flip.  His second choice was a guy who is already in the organization - Kevin Stefanski.  He was our QB coach and a lot of people in the organization were high on him.  If I remember correctly, when Pat Shurmur was hired by the Giants, he wanted to interview Stefanski for the OC position in New York.  The Vikings had the right to refuse his request to interview, and because they wanted to keep him, they did refuse his request. 

At the same time, they may have thought that maybe he wasn't quite ready for the move to OC immediately, so bringing Flip in for a year would give him a little more time.  Most people thought Flip was destined to be hired as a head coach, so the chances were great that he was only a one year rental, after which we would plug Stefanski into his place. 

Another reason is that Flip came from the team that just beat our defense like a drum in the NFCCG, so Zim may have wanted to get as much info as possible on how they were able to accomplish that.

DeFilippo was fired on Tuesday, which means he could rejoin the Eagles for the final weeks of the season as they try to find their way back to the postseason. Head coach Doug Pederson was asked about that possibility at his Wednesday press conference.

Pederson said that DeFilippo did a great job with the team, but that he is confident in the current staff and would not be moving to bring DeFilippo back to Philadelphia right now. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/12/doug-pederson-says-john-defilippo-wont-return-to-eagles-now/

52 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

DeFilippo was fired on Tuesday, which means he could rejoin the Eagles for the final weeks of the season as they try to find their way back to the postseason. Head coach Doug Pederson was asked about that possibility at his Wednesday press conference.

Pederson said that DeFilippo did a great job with the team, but that he is confident in the current staff and would not be moving to bring DeFilippo back to Philadelphia right now. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/12/doug-pederson-says-john-defilippo-wont-return-to-eagles-now/

That has to hurt a bit. His old team doesn't even want him down the stretch.

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Doesn't that tell everyone something? If he was truly a big part of Philly's success last year you would think Pederson would jump at the opportunity to bring him back in some capacity

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd welcome him here with the Jets as a QB coach for Darnold. I have to hear more as to why he was fired on if I'd want him as an OC. If it was a power struggle and he wasn't getting to do what he wanted then I'll be more open minded to him as an OC.

He was the play caller. He chose to run the most unbalanced offense in football despite multiple attempts by Zimmer to reign him in to being more balanced.

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

That really doesn’t say much. Eagles are effectively done this year so there is no payoff to bringing him back at this point. 

Do teams think like this if there is still a mathematical chance at the playoffs? The Vikes and Panthers each may very well lose their last three games. Plus Foles is coming back so they are just gearing up for another run.

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Do teams think like this if there is still a mathematical chance at the playoffs? The Vikes and Panthers each may very well lose their last three games. Plus Foles is coming back so they are just gearing up for another run.

The eagles are absolutely in the race for the 6th spot. The Vikings have played poorly, Panthers lost their mojo, Washington is done, it's wide open. All of those teams have 6 wins. The Vikings may get the spot simply because they have a tie rather than 7 losses, but it feels like 8 wins gets you in the playoffs this year in the NFC. 

I don't necessarily think that the eagles not bringing him back has anything to do with how much his contributions helped them win last year. It could be as simple as they didn't like the way he left, or that with 3 games left they don't have the time to get reacclimated with flip.

If you are the bears, would you bring him in? Nagy has been incredible this year but the bears will most likely play whoever the 6th seed is which would be the vikings. 

He could also choose to enjoy the rest of the season from home with his family while he is still collecting a paycheck. Doesnt sound so bad. I'm sure he will land somewhere in the off-season. 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

If you are the bears, would you bring him in? Nagy has been incredible this year but the bears will most likely play whoever the 6th seed is which would be the vikings. 

Absolutely... but only as a QB coach type position, and not even with any consideration towards Minnesota this season, as much as another guy to help ensure Mitch's success long term. We're much closer to real SB contention than I think anyone on the team had dreamed of being, and now the major  hurdle is apparently just getting Trubisky to be better and more consistent. He's come out in a number of games this year just over anxious, with poor mechanics, and it's cost us in all but one of our losses (the one being the game Mitch was being sat for shoulder concerns)....Those things are to be expected with a young QB in his first year of a new (and complex) system, but we've already seen DeFilippo work magic with both Wentz and Carr, leading to both of their best seasons.... and he got a superbowl out of Nick Foles..... He may not have been a good OC, but his trackrecord as a QB coach is pretty fantastic.

14 hours ago, Epyon said:

Absolutely... but only as a QB coach type position, and not even with any consideration towards Minnesota this season, as much as another guy to help ensure Mitch's success long term. We're much closer to real SB contention than I think anyone on the team had dreamed of being, and now the major  hurdle is apparently just getting Trubisky to be better and more consistent. He's come out in a number of games this year just over anxious, with poor mechanics, and it's cost us in all but one of our losses (the one being the game Mitch was being sat for shoulder concerns)....Those things are to be expected with a young QB in his first year of a new (and complex) system, but we've already seen DeFilippo work magic with both Wentz and Carr, leading to both of their best seasons.... and he got a superbowl out of Nick Foles..... He may not have been a good OC, but his trackrecord as a QB coach is pretty fantastic.

Carr had his worst season under DeFilippo, not his best.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:04 AM, Uncle Buck said:

I think there may be a couple of reasons Zim decided to go with Flip.  His second choice was a guy who is already in the organization - Kevin Stefanski.  He was our QB coach and a lot of people in the organization were high on him.  If I remember correctly, when Pat Shurmur was hired by the Giants, he wanted to interview Stefanski for the OC position in New York.  The Vikings had the right to refuse his request to interview, and because they wanted to keep him, they did refuse his request. 

At the same time, they may have thought that maybe he wasn't quite ready for the move to OC immediately, so bringing Flip in for a year would give him a little more time.  Most people thought Flip was destined to be hired as a head coach, so the chances were great that he was only a one year rental, after which we would plug Stefanski into his place. 

Another reason is that Flip came from the team that just beat our defense like a drum in the NFCCG, so Zim may have wanted to get as much info as possible on how they were able to accomplish .

Given that Flip runs a conceptually-divergent scheme (particular in terms of philosophies) than Shurmur,.I'm really not buying for a second that he was brought in as a one-year buffer for Stefanski.  If that were the case, they'd have brought in an experienced OC who ran an offensive scheme much more conceptually similar to Shurmur's.  Having your players learn new concepts, new terminology, etc. for only one year with the aim of going back to what you were doing before is legitimately asinine and if that was Zim's intention he needs to have his head checked.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:20 AM, Epyon said:

What? 4 losses, he was only on the field for 3 of them, against Miami he was OUTSTANDING, NE he was good.  Those 3 losses were not about the QB, like not at all.

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

Given that Flip runs a conceptually-divergent scheme (particular in terms of philosophies) than Shurmur,.I'm really not buying for a second that he was brought in as a one-year buffer for Stefanski.  If that were the case, they'd have brought in an experienced OC who ran an offensive scheme much more conceptually similar to Shurmur's.  Having your players learn new concepts, new terminology, etc. for only one year with the aim of going back to what you were doing before is legitimately asinine and if that was Zim's intention he needs to have his head checked.

I can understand what you're saying.  The only thing is that when we hired Flip, most people seemed to think he was one of the hottest candidates out there to be a head coach.  This was my biggest objection to bringing him in the first place.  Stefanski has been around since Brad Childress' tenure, and has worked with a number of different OC's.  I don't know everything (or much of anything, to be honest, haha) that is going on in our front office, but maybe they figured he could learn some of what DeFilippo was doing and add it to Shurmur's offense.  I really don't know.

Archived