Vikings Fire DeFilippo, Stefanski Promoted to OC

SemperFeist

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

We can't afford to have a 1st quarter like that against Chicago. They will feast.

But overall I give Stefanski a passing grade.

I gave JDF a passing grade though.

We begged them to get the running game going, and they worked towards it. 

Pinned back deep over and over they continued to play the safe route. No big turnovers and the defense held them to three. 

To me, honestly, the only call I didn’t like was the 3rd and 6 run call. I’m not so sure tho Kirk did not audible to that, no linebackers and safeties playing deep. Took one broken tackle to turn it into a 12 yard run. I really would of liked to see a passing play still in that situation. 

I cant imagine to open a game next week we will end up pinned inside our own 5 twice, then inside the 10 one other time. 

To come out of all of that and we only allowed 9 points, and put up 27, against any NFL team, I am fine with it.

Playing conservatively on the 1st drive made perfect sense. The Lions were never going to win that game unless they got a score or two on defense, or at least a couple of short fields. So they ran up the middle twice and threw a quick out, then punted.

The second drive died with Diggs’ drop on 2nd down followed by Cousins audibling to a run on 3rd and 6. I don’t like the audible there but they did have favorable numbers in the box. Elflein lost a one-on-one block with the DT and the slot corner came in and cleaned up. 

3rd drive was a checkdown to Murray for 2 yards (off playaction IIRC), a run up the middle on 2nd and 8 for no gain, and then a sack on a corner blitz where Cook leaked out of the backfield without picking up the blitzer.

4th drive was an outside run that lost a yard, a sack on 2nd down where Cousins took a short drop, didn’t throw to his initial read, and then got sacked as Reiff lost to an inside move, followed by a give up draw play on 3rd and 18 from the Vikings 14.

5th drive was 69 yards while overcoming 2 holding calls and a 3rd and 17, for a TD.

Playcalling wasn’t a big problem early in the game.

I didn’t like Cousins decision to audible on 3rd and 6, and I wanted him to get rid of the ball on that quick drop that led to his second sack. I’d have to see the A22 but I wonder what the downfield targets looked like when he checked down to Murray on the 3rd drive. 

Diggs was at fault for his drop, and Cook for failing to pick up a blitz. The OL didn’t get any push on the first few run plays, and Reiff gave up a quick sack. 

The only decisions you could fault were the very conservative first drive and the run on 3rd and 18, but I think those are both defensible given the situation, early in a close road game against a mediocre opponent, deep in their own zone.

Archived