Vikings Fire DeFilippo, Stefanski Promoted to OC

SemperFeist

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I really hope Stefanski reverts back to something similar to Shurmur's scheme, but who knows how different the terminology, etc. is.

I believe from the beginning of the year a lot of the terminology was going to stay the same for the returning players and it was more Kirk and JDF changing their terminology. 

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I believe from the beginning of the year a lot of the terminology was going to stay the same for the returning players and it was more Kirk and JDF changing their terminology. 

And there's only so much you can do in the middle of the season.  Like Shurmur did in his half-season, Stefanski is just going to have to use JDF's playbook and call it differently.  

16 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

When the defense was “struggling” earlier in the year, they went back to more of the basics, and they improved. 

Maybe it’s time to just do that with the offense. Run the ball, get the ball out of the QB’s hands. 

Kirk can be accurate and has a solid arm. Let him use it instead of getting fancy with long developing plays. 

I'm not saying you're wrong. I agree with the point.

However, how can they justify this when they paid top QB money to a guy to win games and not manage them.

I think Flip is a bit of a scapegoat. He's a pass oriented guy from the Reid coaching tree. Cousins has been very inconsistent in executing the game plan. Then we are so down in points/time, we have to abandon the run game completely.

Cousins has played us out of game scripts for most of the season. He flashes, then does something dumb or over/under throws a WR.

Both Couins and Flip contributed to this mess.

DeFelippo and the Vikings offense might be the most predictable unit in the entirety of the NFL...just ask Bobby Wagner and Pete Carroll.

Following the game, both Bobby Wagner and Pete Carroll were quoted saying that they were able to have so much success on MNF against the Vikings because everything that the Vikings did was exactly what the Seahawks saw on film and prepared for all week long.

"We came out and they were doing exactly what we saw on film," Wagner said after the game

Just now, twslhs20 said:

That's the one thing I think everyone agrees on.  Who has the higher percentage of the blame is up for debate...but there's only one move that can be made at this point...and it was made.  

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

DeFelippo and the Vikings offense might be the most predictable unit in the entirety of the NFL...just ask Bobby Wagner and Pete Carroll.

Following the game, both Bobby Wagner and Pete Carroll were quoted saying that they were able to have so much success on MNF against the Vikings because everything that the Vikings did was exactly what the Seahawks saw on film and prepared for all week long.

"We came out and they were doing exactly what we saw on film," Wagner said after the game

Yes, exactly! Way too dang predictable. Maybe Stefanski can offer some wrinkles to DFL’s playbook....run some variations off of current plays. 

1 minute ago, twslhs20 said:

I'm not saying you're wrong. I agree with the point.

However, how can they justify this when they paid top QB money to a guy to win games and not manage them.

I think Flip is a bit of a scapegoat. He's a pass oriented guy from the Reid coaching tree. Cousins has been very inconsistent in executing the game plan. Then we are so down in points/time, we have to abandon the run game completely.

Cousins has played us out of game scripts for most of the season. He flashes, then does something dumb or over/under throws a WR.

We paid him to come here and be more accurate and have a little more juice on his arm. 

The top paid QB isn’t going to be even close to the top paid QB by the time year 3 roles around. It’s the price you pay for a QB right now. 

Right now we all can say we should of stuck with Case, he also isn’t playing great. 

We can all say Teddy would have fixed all these problems, but right now we haven’t even seen him play. Hard to have confidence going into a season we’re your expected to be a NFC Championship type of team. 

They went the route of Kirk. We haven’t even gave Kirk the chance to do what he does best. Notice what we have been doing towards the end of games? Yes the pass rush isn’t there but even back to the packers games, he’s getting the ball out quick, of quick break WR routes and with these offensive weapons it works. It also worked for Case last year. 

We just have to stop getting fancy and come out with the same old long developing routes were we can’t even let Kirk use what he is being paid to use. 

Quick breaking routes are also forcing him to get rid of the ball faster, and not over think things every play. 

Is part of the reason we arent winning on Cousins? Hell yes, but I’m still putting a higher percentage on the coaching not putting him and the rest of the team in a position to be the best they can be.

It is great that Stefanski has been with the team for 10+ years already, and was exposed to 5 different OCs (Bevell, Musgrave, Turner, Shurmur and DeFilippo). Hopefully he has learned from all of them, and will be able to borrow what works from each system.

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

It is great that Stefanski has been with the team for 10+ years already, and was exposed to 5 different OCs (Bevell, Musgrave, Turner, Shurmur and DeFilippo). Hopefully he has learned from all of them, and will be able to borrow what works from each system.

You'd also like to think that since he works with Cousins on a daily basis, he knows what makes him tick.  

44 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yikes...I also recall Wagner saying that "Y'all didn't come to play tonight. It's over." or something to that extent while he was "Mic'd up" on the broadcast.

Wow.  Just wow.

I never thought that Zimmer would can his OC midseason.  I had the impression he was overly loyal to his coaches.

Seems like Zimmer was pretty upset after that missed 3rd and 1 attempt.  He was screaming something in JDF's general direction.

During the game, even I could tell what play was coming by the way they were lining up.  It was becoming so predictable.

Archived