Callahan broke his foot

beardown3231

I'd still try to lock him down for a few years, he has been stellar and if we can keep him then we can have flexibility with Fuller being able to kick inside, Tolliver going up on the outside, etc.

1 minute ago, ibt734 said:

Why not?

Callahan has been fantastic all season, it is completely unfair to expect McManis to play at that level. If he could play like that he wouldn't be known for only being a special teams guy. If he was as good as Callahan he'd be making more than $1.75AAV at 30 years old.

That being said, there is no one on the street that is going to play as well as Callahan was IMO, but IDK if there is anyone who will provide a significant upgrade over Toliver on the outside (assuming Fuller kicks inside) or McManis on the inside.

Byron Maxwell

Darryl Morris

William Gay

Alterraun Verner

Ladarius Webb

Those are the best available I guess, and none are going to step in and be dynamic in any way. Still, with Callahan going down Pace can't really just sit on his hands. If I am Pace I bring in some guys and Michael Joseph competes right away against them. Rank who did the best and that is my emergency list. If Joseph is the highest rated you move him up to the active roster and if not he stays and you sign the top guy.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I imagine he meant on defense.

Long is a guy that is easy to root for and he is awesome, but he is pretty easy to expect to play less than 16 games.

Long will be back for the playoffs.  Not an season ender.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I imagine he meant on defense.

Long is a guy that is easy to root for and he is awesome, but he is pretty easy to expect to play less than 16 games.

This is why I don't get when people say we should keep Long because it will cost to replace him (including his cap hit if cut).

My response is he is isn't going to play but a handful of games and then you have to replace him anyway.

Will they cut him?  I doubt it.  They are sentimental about him.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What’s the latest with Kyle Long? — @alltheway_2016

When I saw Long last week he was still wearing a walking boot on his right foot. 

From Dec. 6th.

Yea, is it a sure thing he'll be back this year?  I think the Long injury was a significant injury because the guy who is currently starting in his place had to be picked up off the street more or less.  Witzmann was awful against the g-men but was better last week.  

Just now, Chronickerr said:

Yea, is it a sure thing he'll be back this year? 

No.  He has came back from injuries way too early before to play on garbage teams, so I imagine if there is any way possible and it is up to him he will be back.

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

No.  He has came back from injuries way too early before to play on garbage teams, so I imagine if there is any way possible and it is up to him he will be back.

It wasn't confirmed 100% but pretty sure I read a few weeks back that Pace was interviewed and felt good about Long's chances returning before the end of the regular season, indicating that week 17 was the target.

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Tolliver was UFA steal of 2018 and he is going to show why in next couple of years as he moves to a starting role and plays well. 

I think so too.  I heard A LOT that had he stayed at LSU, theres a real good chance he would have gone in the top 10, let alone first round.  The reasons he was a udfa have nothing to do with football.

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Tolliver was UFA steal of 2018 and he is going to show why in next couple of years as he moves to a starting role and plays well.

I was very optomistic about the signing, though IIRC I had serious reservations about trying to rely on him due to his off-field issues.

I really think he can be groomed to replace Amukamara and will be able to thrive due to having the core players around him (Jackson, Fuller, Mack, Hicks, Smith, etc) and that he gets years of tutelage AND consistency in system under Donatell and Fangio. He really picked a great spot to have his best chance of success.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Long will be back for the playoffs.  Not an season ender.

I hope so, we could really use him, but I want to hear more about his progress before I assume he can come back. Dude is a tough SOB like his father though, so I wouldn't wager any money against him coming back late.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

This is why I don't get when people say we should keep Long because it will cost to replace him (including his cap hit if cut).

My response is he is isn't going to play but a handful of games and then you have to replace him anyway.

Will they cut him?  I doubt it.  They are sentimental about him.

I think just due to the lack of draft capital to replace him. I kind of want to have him in 2019 because when he is on the field, he will get better results than any replacement we throw in there. What I would like though is to see us draft an OL like Jawaan Taylor from Florida with our 3rd. I think between him and Coward we could find the pair that replaces Long and Massie. I'm not a fan of throwing two rookies (or very inexperienced guys) together that aren't high profile players. We did it with Long and Mills and it worked before Mills started getting seriously leadfooted (I still think they should have been in each other's spots) and beaten so regularly by speed. So letting someone like Taylor and Coward fight for the RT spot next to Long and the other is relegated to the swing tackle spot or swing guard to gain experience for if/when Long goes down. Then at least your right side isn't on their first game together, and you will have experience to the left of them both initially. (Long >RT, and Whitehair >RG replacing Long).

Obviously if HH has other thoughts then I'd go with it, just my thought process.

Actually I think that is how I'll start the mock I want to do this weekend.

Archived