Callahan broke his foot

beardown3231

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'd still try to lock him down for a few years, he has been stellar and if we can keep him then we can have flexibility with Fuller being able to kick inside, Tolliver going up on the outside, etc.

Callahan has been fantastic all season, it is completely unfair to expect McManis to play at that level. If he could play like that he wouldn't be known for only being a special teams guy. If he was as good as Callahan he'd be making more than $1.75AAV at 30 years old.

That being said, there is no one on the street that is going to play as well as Callahan was IMO, but IDK if there is anyone who will provide a significant upgrade over Toliver on the outside (assuming Fuller kicks inside) or McManis on the inside.

Byron Maxwell

Darryl Morris

William Gay

Alterraun Verner

Ladarius Webb

Those are the best available I guess, and none are going to step in and be dynamic in any way. Still, with Callahan going down Pace can't really just sit on his hands. If I am Pace I bring in some guys and Michael Joseph competes right away against them. Rank who did the best and that is my emergency list. If Joseph is the highest rated you move him up to the active roster and if not he stays and you sign the top guy.

McMannis did lead the team in tackles Sunday night. Maybe it's the system as much as the players. 

8 hours ago, ibt734 said:

McMannis did lead the team in tackles Sunday night. Maybe it's the system as much as the players. 

While system absolutely plays a role, I'd be leery of a CB having a lot of tackles, IMO I'd need to review the film again before crowning him. We're the tackles vs the run or screens? If so you're seeing him be aggressive and getting the job done. We're the tackles because he gave up a catch? We've seen that be an issue before. But if it was him in off coverage and coming up on the receive to make it a minimal gain then it it a plus. 

There are a lot of factors to consider and I was too in the moment to be objective or see those kinds of details. I believe he did well but need to look further. I don't want to seem down on McManis, I absolutely am rooting for him, but I'm just trying to be objective based on what I have seen so far. 

I can absolutely say Callahan has been great in pass coverage and done well in the run game. I've rewatched games and he has popped off the tape due to his closing speed and how he can react so quickly when the ball in airborne. He has made plays all over, in zone, man, run and even as a pass rusher in minimal attempts. I'm skeptical of our chances of replacing him as easily as Amos. 

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

While system absolutely plays a role, I'd be leery of a CB having a lot of tackles, IMO I'd need to review the film again before crowning him. We're the tackles vs the run or screens? If so you're seeing him be aggressive and getting the job done. We're the tackles because he gave up a catch? We've seen that be an issue before. But if it was him in off coverage and coming up on the receive to make it a minimal gain then it it a plus. 

There are a lot of factors to consider and I was too in the moment to be objective or see those kinds of details. I believe he did well but need to look further. I don't want to seem down on McManis, I absolutely am rooting for him, but I'm just trying to be objective based on what I have seen so far. 

I can absolutely say Callahan has been great in pass coverage and done well in the run game. I've rewatched games and he has popped off the tape due to his closing speed and how he can react so quickly when the ball in airborne. He has made plays all over, in zone, man, run and even as a pass rusher in minimal attempts. I'm skeptical of our chances of replacing him as easily as Amos. 

I crowned no one pal. So give it a rest. 

If Callahan had seven tackles you'd be all over his jock. Callahan is known for his blitzes, nothing else. The Bears DB's look good because of their front seven. Stop being a fake coach.  

2 hours ago, ibt734 said:

If Callahan had seven tackles you'd be all over his jock. Callahan is known for his blitzes, nothing else. The Bears DB's look good because of their front seven. Stop being a fake coach.  

I like how you're also ignorant enough to overlook what Jackson, Fuller, etc have done as well. Claiming they only are doing anything because of the front 7 is beyond asinine. Did you miss the big plays they have made when the front 7 was getting little pressure at numerous points this season? 

Signed, 

"Fake Coach" 

Why respond to such a rational post with such attitude?

Good news is that the rest of the unit is playing so tight, and so skilled, that they're elevating each others play. It's absolutely wonderful to see, but specific to this issue it really allows people to play above their usual level.  I actually dig McManis and think he'll get a chance to shine.  And it stinks for him, but I think we can find a way to afford Callahan now.

Or, who knows, maybe he was the glue that holds the D together and everybody starts stepping on rakes out there.

So you dismiss McMannis because you're all over Callahan's jock. And your video is supposed to help you how?

I don't dismiss McMannis at all. He's great. I simply don't think that Callahan was all about the corner blitzes--which was a recent development. I suppose if you've only watched the team for the last month, or so, and not paid much attention to how Callahan plays...then you may reduce his contributions to blitzes...if you were only getting guidance from Chris Collinsworth. 

Archived