Jump to content
turtle28

We’ll have plenty of room to re-sign our own players

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, taylor made said:

I don't think Preston Smith or Jamison Crowder are great players by any means but they are home grown talents.

I think you have to sign them at market cost considering the amount of holes this team has or will have.

Depends on the cost for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players the Redskins could cut in March that would save the Redskins $37.1 million in cap space:

1. Norman: $8.5 m

2. Reed: $6.1 m

3. Brown: $5.75 m

4. VD: $5 m

5. Swearinger: $4.5 M

6. CT: $3 m

7. McGee: $2.3 m

8. Foster: $2 m

Now, I doubt that Reed, Swearinger and CT are cut but the rest I think will be or in VD’s case, he could retire. They also could restructure both VD & Reed’s contracts, dropping their cap hit down, but honestly, I don’t know why they would because they will have around $50 million in cap space if they cut the bolded.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask yourselves this one question:

If player X can go somewhere else and get comparable amounts of money (say within 5-10% of what Washington would offer), why, after all that has gone on with this franchise over the past two months, would they stay?

Remember, the player has to agree to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Players the Redskins could cut in March that would save the Redskins $37.1 million in cap space:

1. Norman: $8.5 m

2. Reed: $6.1 m

3. Brown: $5.75 m

4. VD: $5 m

5. Swearinger: $4.5 M

6. CT: $3 m

7. McGee: $2.3 m

8. Foster: $2 m

Now, I doubt that Reed, Swearinger and CT are cut but the rest I think will be or in VD’s case, he could retire. They also could restructure both VD & Reed’s contracts, dropping their cap hit down, but honestly, I don’t know why they would because they will have around $50 million in cap space if they cut the bolded.

The problem with cutting all these players is that you have to replace all of them.  Cutting Swearinger seems ridiculous to me, he's been really good at times this year.  McGee's a no brainer, Foster I'm fine with.  Vernon Davis I could go either way.  

I get why people want to cut Norman, but we don't have any replacement plan in place for him at this time.  We also have a ton of other needs, and a FA replacement could be difficult when you're talking about several teams having over $100 mil in cap space.  I could see the FO bringing back Norman for one more year then moving on after next year.  

Reed is worth the money when he's on the field, and he's too valuable to outright cut.  

Brown, Idk what happened here.  Is it the scheme?  Is he playing banged up?  The dude outright balled for 2 straight year's in 2 different uniforms.  Is he worth the money we're paying him?  probably not, but cutting him makes yet another hole on the team.  I could see us retaining him if we get a new defensive staff that can repair the relationship there (and hopefully try to use him appropriately on the field).  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The problem with cutting all these players is that you have to replace all of them.  Cutting Swearinger seems ridiculous to me, he's been really good at times this year.  McGee's a no brainer, Foster I'm fine with.  Vernon Davis I could go either way.  

I get why people want to cut Norman, but we don't have any replacement plan in place for him at this time.  We also have a ton of other needs, and a FA replacement could be difficult when you're talking about several teams having over $100 mil in cap space.  I could see the FO bringing back Norman for one more year then moving on after next year.  

Reed is worth the money when he's on the field, and he's too valuable to outright cut.  

Brown, Idk what happened here.  Is it the scheme?  Is he playing banged up?  The dude outright balled for 2 straight year's in 2 different uniforms.  Is he worth the money we're paying him?  probably not, but cutting him makes yet another hole on the team.  I could see us retaining him if we get a new defensive staff that can repair the relationship there (and hopefully try to use him appropriately on the field).  

 

If we are going young and truly going to rebuild, it doesn’t matter if we don’t have a #1 type replacement for Norman, does it?

If we are blowing it up, I don’t care that Dunny and Moreau are our starting corners next year with Stroman, Alexander,  Danny Johnson and a rookie competing with them.

The rest I agree with you about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MKnight82 said:

I get why people want to cut Norman, but we don't have any replacement plan in place for him at this time.  We also have a ton of other needs, and a FA replacement could be difficult when you're talking about several teams having over $100 mil in cap space.  I could see the FO bringing back Norman for one more year then moving on after next year.  

Flipside argument: he's become a bit of a malcontent. Cutting him, while they may not have adequate depth to replace him, may have to happen as part of a clean burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

If we are going young and truly going to rebuild, it doesn’t matter if we don’t have a #1 type replacement for Norman, does it?

If we are blowing it up, I don’t care that Dunny and Moreau are our starting corners next year with Stroman, Alexander,  Danny Johnson and a rookie competing with them.

The rest I agree with you about.

Is anyone arguing to blow up the roster?  I don't agree with that.  We need new leadership at the top and some added talent to our existing players.  I don't see the point in blowing up this roster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Is anyone arguing to blow up the roster?  I don't agree with that.  We need new leadership at the top and some added talent to our existing players.  I don't see the point in blowing up this roster.  

If we are going to have a new GM & new HC, they’re going to want new players and players they select. Most of our vets will be gone except for the core players like Kerrigan & TWill. Like, all the players listed except for probably Reed and maybe CT and Swearingee will be gone if we hire a new GM & HC.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Is anyone arguing to blow up the roster?  I don't agree with that.  We need new leadership at the top and some added talent to our existing players.  I don't see the point in blowing up this roster.  

Just now, turtle28 said:

If we are going to have a new GM & new HC, they’re going to want new players and players they select. Most of our vets will be gone except for the core players like Kerrigan & TWill. Like, all the players listed except for probably Reed will be gone if we hire a new GM & HC.

Eh, I can see both sides of this:

For MK: if we want the team to get back to "elite" status, we might have walk through the desert for a couple of years.

For turtle: is it necessary to cut everyone right now? Sure, you can rotate them over a year or two as their contracts expire, but you don't necessarily need to nuke the entire roster right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Woz said:

Eh, I can see both sides of this:

For MK: if we want the team to get back to "elite" status, we might have walk through the desert for a couple of years.

For turtle: is it necessary to cut everyone right now? Sure, you can rotate them over a year or two as their contracts expire, but you don't necessarily need to nuke the entire roster right now.

I don’t see any of those players as ones I’d  like to keep except:

CT, Reed & Swearinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, turtle28 said:

I don’t see any of those players as ones I’d  like to keep except:

CT, Reed & Swearinger

Norman - we don't have anything better at the moment. Kind of your "unnecessary hole" cut if ever there was one.
Reed - I don't cut him this offseason, but they need a post-2019 plan for Reed (it ain't Davis and it ain't Sprinkle). He probably doesn't make it to my 2020 roster.
Brown - *shrugs* I think he's talked his way off the team.
Davis - I keep him as my 2019 Reed hedge. He's gone in 2020 so has value right now.
Swearinger - Don't think I would cut him at all.
Thompson - He's a poor man's Reed: talented, but cannot be relied upon. Is saving the $3M worth dumping him? Not really, but he's not in my plans beyond 2019.
McGee - *insert Bye, Felecia GIF*
Foster - Toodles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bigger question, @turtle28, is: if we go through with all of these slashing cuts, who do you propose to get as replacements?

Remember, players have to choose to sign here. Yes, there will be a significant amount more of cap space, but a good chunk of that will have to be spent on a "dysfunction tax."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Woz said:

Norman - we don't have anything better at the moment. Kind of your "unnecessary hole" cut if ever there was one.
Reed - I don't cut him this offseason, but they need a post-2019 plan for Reed (it ain't Davis and it ain't Sprinkle). He probably doesn't make it to my 2020 roster.
Brown - *shrugs* I think he's talked his way off the team.
Davis - I keep him as my 2019 Reed hedge. He's gone in 2020 so has value right now.
Swearinger - Don't think I would cut him at all.
Thompson - He's a poor man's Reed: talented, but cannot be relied upon. Is saving the $3M worth dumping him? Not really, but he's not in my plans beyond 2019.
McGee - *insert Bye, Felecia GIF*
Foster - Toodles.

We have Dunny & Moreau. Maybe not great corners, but again, I’m fine with them as our starters for next year and then a draft pick/cheaper free agent competing with them and Alexander, Stroman and Danny Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Woz said:

The bigger question, @turtle28, is: if we go through with all of these slashing cuts, who do you propose to get as replacements?

Remember, players have to choose to sign here. Yes, there will be a significant amount more of cap space, but a good chunk of that will have to be spent on a "dysfunction tax."

I wouldn’t sign any high priced free agents next year. I’d re-sign our own guys or at least most of them and then roll with the young guys we have and draft picks from next year.

Most of the replacements we have in house or will draft.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We have Dunny & Moreau. Maybe not great corners, but again, I’m fine with them as our starters for next year and then a draft pick/cheaper free agent competing with them and Alexander, Stroman and Danny Johnson.

Eh, we've seen what Moreau has given the team, and it's a significant drop off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×