We’ll have plenty of room to re-sign our own players

turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I wouldn’t sign any high priced free agents next year. I’d re-sign our own guys or at least most of them and then roll with the young guys we have and draft picks from next year.

Most of the replacements we have in house or will draft.

ok ... so a couple of major contracts to Ioannidis and Scherff with large up front roster bonuses?

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t see any of those players as ones I’d  like to keep except:

CT, Reed & Swearinger

Chris Thompson can walk, he's injured more often than not, is closing in on age 30 and running backs are a dime a dozen in the draft since colleges use a ton of them for different packages and schemes.  Reed can walk too, again, close to 30 and injury prone.  

I like Swearinger.  He called out some of his teammates for not practicing.  Not the way I would've liked for all of that to go down, but I think he wants to play for a winner, and play for a city that appreciates him.  We can bring him back.  

9 hours ago, Woz said:

ok ... so a couple of major contracts to Ioannidis and Scherff with large up front roster bonuses?

If we stay in the 3-4. If we get a new HC and go to the 4-3, I wouldn’t re-sign Ioannidis unless it’s less than 5 mil a year which could be, but unlikely.

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Chris Thompson can walk, he's injured more often than not, is closing in on age 30 and running backs are a dime a dozen in the draft since colleges use a ton of them for different packages and schemes.  Reed can walk too, again, close to 30 and injury prone.  

I like Swearinger.  He called out some of his teammates for not practicing.  Not the way I would've liked for all of that to go down, but I think he wants to play for a winner, and play for a city that appreciates him.  We can bring him back.  

If only CT could’ve stopped himself from breaking ribs... damn!

He and Reed are dynamic/can’t be easily replaced. We have the cap space to easily keep them, it’s an easy decision. Keep them for at least one more year.

Keep Bibbs or Marshall as CTs back up too. That’s an easy decision.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If only CT could’ve stopped himself from breaking ribs... damn!

1. If it were only him breaking his ribs the one time, this would be a fair point. The sad fact is that, like Reed, he's injury prone. In his six season that he's been in the league, he's played in all 16 games once. In fact, he's only played in 52 of 93 possible games (55.9%), and four of his six seasons, he has missed at least six games (37.5% of the season).
  2. He's significantly smaller than the average player, so he's going to take more of a beating. As he gets older, those are going to be harder to recover from.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:48 PM, MKnight82 said:

Is anyone arguing to blow up the roster?  I don't agree with that.  We need new leadership at the top and some added talent to our existing players.  I don't see the point in blowing up this roster.  

This. All of the this. 

Everyone is seduced by the tank rebuilds in the other sports, like the Sixers and the Astros. But football isn’t like those other sports. The players don’t have the same longevity and get hurt far more frequently. They get to FA faster, and the salary cap is much more restrictive. NFL teams don’t trade the high draft picks (or elite prospects) that give you extra lottery tickets that can eventually become stars. And most simply, but also probably most importantly, you need more players in football. Even great MLB teams have maybe 12-13 players who are better than average, and maybe only 20 players who are even better than replacement. And NBA teams obviously need far fewer good/great players than that. 

In the NFL, it’s virtually impossible to start from ground zero and build a championship team in the period of time before your roster starts to get picked apart by FA. It takes time to acquire the number of high-end players you need. To build the extensive roster depth of quality/viable players you need. To develop players from rookies into reliable, experienced veterans who know how to win at this level, especially QBs. To build chemistry and camaraderie and a winning environment (which I don’t think matters in many sports, but it definitely does in football). Those things take time. It’s why you’ll never see a Vegas Knights type expansion team in the NFL in this day and age. 

I understand the allure of the tank and picking in the top 5 for several seasons. But how many teams who are good currently (or who have consistently been good in recent years) have done it because their roster was burned down, bottomed out, and rebuilt from the ashes? Not many. Barely any, actually. The Bears stunk the year before they took Trubisky, I guess. Technically, the Chargers were bad 15 years ago before they took LDT and Rivers. Houston did bottom out, but that’s not how they landed the true keys to their team (Watt, Hopkins, Watson). But looking at NE, KC, LAR, PIT, NO, BAL, SEA, GB, PHI — the teams that are (or have consistently been) the class of the NFL — they didn’t have to hit rock bottom to make it to the top. They were decent and they built it up from there. I think that’s what we should be looking to do as well. 

And I’m not saying “let’s go all in to win as many games as possible in 2019.” I’m on board with cutting ties with aging vets who aren’t earning their keep. If they want to trade/cut the likes of Norman, Z. Brown, VD, McGee, M. Foster, even CT if the injuries are too much — I’m okay with that. Even guys like T. Williams, Reed, Moses, etc., if we got a good trade offer for them, I’d be fine with letting them go.

And if they want to bite the bullet on the Smith contract and let him go, and declare it an open competition between McCoy and Josh Johnson — I’m on board with that too. They wouldn’t win much with either of them, but that’s okay. 

What I’m not fine with is forcing talent out the door just for the sake of making the team worse. It’s too hard to get talent in the door. There’s a core of talent on this team that we can build on — Allen, Payne, Greek, Kerrigan, Swearinger, Dunbar, Guice, Reed, Crowder, 4 solid-excellent OL, etc. There’s a lot more work to be done, but this is not a roster entirely bereft of quality players. 

With that much talent (many of whom we want to keep moving forward), it would be tough to fully tank anyway. We may end up having to trade up for our desired franchise QB, but that was probably going to be the case anyway. And as we’ve seen from teams like LAR, PHI, HOU, and KC — that can be okay, as long as you get the right guy when you make the move. 

A rebuild and blowing it up don’t have to be the same thing. Rebuild to me is new staff, new front office. There is some really intriguing talent on this team. Payne and Allen are homerun draft choices. But we need a new direction for this team. Bruce needs to go. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

A rebuild and blowing it up don’t have to be the same thing. Rebuild to me is new staff, new front office. There is some really intriguing talent on this team. Payne and Allen are homerun draft choices. But we need a new direction for this team. Bruce needs to go. 

I agree with you on all this. I’d let Allen (as well as Doug Williams) go, and I’d let the coaching staff go as well. 

My objection is just to the idea that there’s no talent and we need to implode the roster and start over from scratch. We don’t. In the NBA, the cycle of mediocrity is largely inescapable. The same isn’t true in the NFL. We need a QB who can transform the franchise and some upgrades at a few key positions — but in the NFL, you don't have to be terrible in order to become great. You have to make the right gambles (especially in the move you make to get your QB), that much is true. But you can get to “great” by building on “already decent.” And it’s actually easier that way. 

17 hours ago, e16bball said:

I agree with you on all this. I’d let Allen (as well as Doug Williams) go, and I’d let the coaching staff go as well. 

My objection is just to the idea that there’s no talent and we need to implode the roster and start over from scratch. We don’t. In the NBA, the cycle of mediocrity is largely inescapable. The same isn’t true in the NFL. We need a QB who can transform the franchise and some upgrades at a few key positions — but in the NFL, you don't have to be terrible in order to become great. You have to make the right gambles (especially in the move you make to get your QB), that much is true. But you can get to “great” by building on “already decent.” And it’s actually easier that way. 

The Redskins lack top end talent.  I feel like they have solid depth but lack star players.  Star players win games.  

On 12/14/2018 at 3:45 PM, Woz said:
  1. If it were only him breaking his ribs the one time, this would be a fair point. The sad fact is that, like Reed, he's injury prone. In his six season that he's been in the league, he's played in all 16 games once. In fact, he's only played in 52 of 93 possible games (55.9%), and four of his six seasons, he has missed at least six games (37.5% of the season).
  2. He's significantly smaller than the average player, so he's going to take more of a beating. As he gets older, those are going to be harder to recover from.

3. CT is overrated. He doesn't break tackles. He blocks like crap. He doesn't have the top end speed to outrun defenses. He doesn't make people miss. CT is a guy you can replace with a undrafted free agent.

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The Redskins lack top end talent.  I feel like they have solid depth but lack star players.  Star players win games.  

While perhaps true, I believe @e16bball's point was that you still need those solid depth players. There's no way to create a roster purely of all stars (outside of pointless "honorary" scrimmage games the players don't actually want to play in). So the evaluation then turns to "which of those solid depth players do you keep/which of those solid depth players are you okay with being a starter in order to get a star elsewhere?"

Archived