We’ll have plenty of room to re-sign our own players

turtle28

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Umm yeah, he’s either going to be hard to replace or cost a 1st round pick to replace. Smith isn’t great, but his play is often underrated by fans who only look at one stat for OLBs & DEs.

Smith continues to generate pressures, they don’t always lead to sacks but the pressures that he and Kerrigan generate do help the defense and the back end. Also, the pressure he and Kerrigan bring on the outside makes QBs have to step up in the pocket into the waiting arms of Allen, Ioannidis or Payne if they’ve beaten their man.

Our 3 interior DL had 8, 7.5 and 5 sacks which is pretty unheard on a 3-4 DL.

So, he's slow to get to the quarterback ...

Pressure is nice, hitting the QB is better.

8 hours ago, Woz said:

So, he's slow to get to the quarterback ...

Pressure is nice, hitting the QB is better.

Man this place is frustrating. He’s not too slow, it’s just that if an edge pass rusher pushes a QB up into the pocket then, the interior DL are going to get sacks if they’re good enough to beat their man too. Also, the quickest way to a Qb is a straight line, the interior DL have the straightest lines.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Man this place is frustrating. He’s not too slow, it’s just that if an edge pass rusher pushes a QB up into the pocket then, the interior DL are going to get sacks if they’re good enough to beat their man too. Also, the quickest way to a Qb is a straight line, the interior DL have the straightest lines.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018.htm

QB Hits (guys bolded who don't have "straight lines")

1. Kerrigan - 19
  2. Smith - 16
  3. Allen - 15
  4. Ioannidis - 11
  5. Payne - 8
  6. McPhee - 8

7. Anderson - 4

8. Brown - 2
  9. Harvey-Clemons - 2
  10. Foster - 1
  11. Swearinger  - 1
  12. McGee - 1
  13. Stroman - 1 

The guys below him are inside linebackers and defensive backs (and useless man McGee). Somehow, the other "non-straight line" guys got to the QB more than Anderson did. Oh, and if you want to say it is a snap count thing, I showed in the other thread that McPhee and Anderson got similar amounts of playing time.

Okay, he's run support, how about tackles?

Total = 18 (good for 18th on the team)
Solo = 7 (tied for 20th)
Assists = 11 (tied for 10th)
TFL = 1 (tied for 10th with Norman, D. Johnson, JHC, McGee, Settle, and McKinzy ... two DBs, 2 NTs, 1 ILB, and a LB with 38 snaps on defense)

Hmm ...

5 hours ago, Woz said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018.htm

QB Hits (guys bolded who don't have "straight lines")

1. Kerrigan - 19
  2. Smith - 16
  3. Allen - 15
  4. Ioannidis - 11
  5. Payne - 8
  6. McPhee - 8

7. Anderson - 4

8. Brown - 2
  9. Harvey-Clemons - 2
  10. Foster - 1
  11. Swearinger  - 1
  12. McGee - 1
  13. Stroman - 1 

The guys below him are inside linebackers and defensive backs (and useless man McGee). Somehow, the other "non-straight line" guys got to the QB more than Anderson did. Oh, and if you want to say it is a snap count thing, I showed in the other thread that McPhee and Anderson got similar amounts of playing time.

Okay, he's run support, how about tackles?

Total = 18 (good for 18th on the team)
Solo = 7 (tied for 20th)
Assists = 11 (tied for 10th)
TFL = 1 (tied for 10th with Norman, D. Johnson, JHC, McGee, Settle, and McKinzy ... two DBs, 2 NTs, 1 ILB, and a LB with 38 snaps on defense)

Hmm ...

Wait, what is his in response to?

Weren't you the one who just said about Preston Smith above that pressuring the QB in nice but hitting them means more.

Then, you post stats proving my point and why - if he doesn't break the bank - the Redskins should re-sign Preston Smith.

Anderson’s stats are basically irrelevant to me considering how low his snap count totals are. He was 4th in terms of snap counts for OLBs, why would anyone with half a brain expect him to have around 10 QB hits given his low snap count number on defense?

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Wait, what is his in response to?

That Anderson looks to be a bust of a pick.

Weren't you the one who just said about Preston Smith above that pressuring the QB in nice but hitting them means more.

Then, you post stats proving my point and why - if he doesn't break the bank - the Redskins should re-sign Preston Smith.

Preston Smith being better than Ryan Anderson != Preston Smith is worth re-signing at the price it will take

Anderson’s stats are basically irrelevant to me considering how low his snap count totals are. He was 4th in terms of snap counts for OLBs, why would anyone with half a brain expect him to have around 10 QB hits given his low snap count number on defense?

Because a guy with the nearly the same number of snaps that he received (Pernell McPhee) was much better at doing his job than Ryan Anderson was.

Just because they are on your roster now does not mean they should be on the roster in the future. You need to evaluate the cost of re-signing them/keeping them in relation to the value they give you. Smith on his rookie deal? Seems to have been worth it, especially the past season. Smith as a high priced free agent? Not worth it. Anderson on his rookie deal? Right now, not really worth keeping around (if he had been a 6th or 7th round pick, he'd probably be out of a job right now).

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I was talking about Preston Smith in the two posts quoted at the top, not Anderson.

Okay.

As I said, Smith was worth keeping on his rookie contract. I'm not sure he's worth keeping at what the market rate will demand. I'm not as anti-Smith as @MKnight82 is, but I don't see a guy who is all that good either.

To date, Anderson is not worth keeping on his rookie contract and looks to be a complete bust of a second round pick. If he is to be a backup LOLB behind Kerrigan, then he will be a bust of a pick because you do not use a top 50 pick on a backup/special team guy. Well, you shouldn't if you want to win.

The short version is: Washington needs a true ROLB/pass rusher who gets to the quarterback. Not pressures, not hits, but actual honest to goodness sacks. If they can find someone like that(*), the secondary's sudden weakness can be papered over a bit.

(*) Probably need another inside linebacker as well. If they went ILB/OLB, OLB/ILB, QB/LG, LG/QB with their day one and day two picks (natural rounds plus compensatory pick), I would be a very happy camper.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:40 PM, Woz said:

Okay.

As I said, Smith was worth keeping on his rookie contract. I'm not sure he's worth keeping at what the market rate will demand. I'm not as anti-Smith as @MKnight82 is, but I don't see a guy who is all that good either.

To date, Anderson is not worth keeping on his rookie contract and looks to be a complete bust of a second round pick. If he is to be a backup LOLB behind Kerrigan, then he will be a bust of a pick because you do not use a top 50 pick on a backup/special team guy. Well, you shouldn't if you want to win.

The short version is: Washington needs a true ROLB/pass rusher who gets to the quarterback. Not pressures, not hits, but actual honest to goodness sacks. If they can find someone like that(*), the secondary's sudden weakness can be papered over a bit.

(*) Probably need another inside linebacker as well. If they went ILB/OLB, OLB/ILB, QB/LG, LG/QB with their day one and day two picks (natural rounds plus compensatory pick), I would be a very happy camper.

1. Those kind of pass rushers don’t grow on trees. Hence why I didn’t want the Redskins to let Orakpo walk after 2013. Rak should’ve been signed long term before he was ever franchised in 2013. If he wasn’t  franchised, we wouldn’t had more cap room to improve our S positon, OL and DL for that season. We’ve had two better than good edge pass rushers we’ve drafted since 1994 - Kerrigan & Orakpo and one we let walk. Not the greatest track record, almost as bad as our QB & WR track record.

2. We can’t change the fact that Anderson was drafted and would most likely just be Kerrigan’s back up, but I called it when we drafted him. I didn’t understand why you draft another guy who should only be a LOLB and not a ROLB when you had Kerrigan, Murphy and PSmith who’s better at LOLB too, already.

3. Anderson makes $1.4 million this year, maybe that’s too much for a back up special teams guy but it’s not killing our cap either.

4. I’m with you on your last point about who to draft. 

4 hours ago, mar29020 said:

trust me, the redskins can find worse 

I mean, even if we draft someone who’s slightly worse than Smith at least they’ll be way cheaper.  We shouldn’t settle for mediocre at such an important position, it’s time to move on from Preston Smith.

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I get what you are saying, but when he absolutely disappears from the stat sheet like he does every year, it's just like having a hole on your roster.  

Smith might disappear on the sack stat sheet for a few games or a month. By the way, most pass rushers go through sack droughts - Kerrigan does - but he’ll still have QB pressures and hits in those games. You can’t have 16 QB hits in a season and probably twice as many pressures and absolutely disappear. Again, sack stat watchers think that but it’s not exactly true.

I have a great idea! Trade any older players we can for draft picks, let free agents go and acquire compensory picks, have the worst record next year and draft a franchise QB next year. That way we hopefully have Allen & Jay fired, a new GM and HC and starting salvaging this wreak of a team.

Archived